Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #31
swtc
swtc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I just got the 505 for $139 at a Target, too! I was kicking myself for not getting it earlier at my closest Target. There were two clearanced at $199 for the longest time, and I think it dropped down to $70 because they were gone pretty quick. The sticker on the box still said $249 ish and the sales associate wouldn't take scan it to see if the price was lower. Luckily I have the DCPI number and checked at their machines and it was $139. Not as great of a deal as $70, but it's so worth it. I'm surprised just how great the build quality is. I've never been that impressed with the non-working demos in stores, but this feels different.
swtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtc View Post
I just got the 505 for $139 at a Target, too! I was kicking myself for not getting it earlier at my closest Target. There were two clearanced at $199 for the longest time, and I think it dropped down to $70 because they were gone pretty quick. The sticker on the box still said $249 ish and the sales associate wouldn't take scan it to see if the price was lower. Luckily I have the DCPI number and checked at their machines and it was $139. Not as great of a deal as $70, but it's so worth it. I'm surprised just how great the build quality is. I've never been that impressed with the non-working demos in stores, but this feels different.
Hmm. There was a working demo at my Target store, that is the main thing that convinced me to buy it at the time as I'd never seen eInk before.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nothing to be worried about with a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #34
swtc
swtc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmm. There was a working demo at my Target store, that is the main thing that convinced me to buy it at the time as I'd never seen eInk before.
I've only seen one working demo before at Staples on the 600. The 300 was labeled as non-working demo. Same for the 505s I've seen at Target and Walmart. It's really a shame. The stores around me really didn't support these that much. They would've sold more had they had working demos of the eReaders, imo. Not many people know about eInk technology. I was even skeptical after seeing the 600, but, then again, I know after reading here that the 505 had a better screen and brought it sight unseen yesterday. The average customer doesn't browse sites like these before purchasing, so it really is a see it to believe it kinda deal with the eReaders.
swtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #35
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
505 > 300
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Part of what you did is correct, EliNoah.

The other part will not be complete until you sell it to me for the same price you paid for it - then you will have done the right thing.

I'm only trying to help you, of course, in doing the correct and right thing.

Seriously: You got a great deal on your purchase. Congratulations!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #37
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
I wanted to set it up for her and do the firmware update if there is one because she does not have the patience. I even have a few books I can download onto her device. I just have to register her device to my ebook library right?
However, I think the books will only be readable as long as she doesn't register the device to her own Sony account...at which point the books from your account become unreadable. Can someone confirm this? I bought a used PRS-505 and the seller left books on it.

Congratulations on a great deal...I'm thinking of buying one for my mom for Christmas and hoping for a find like yours.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote