Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #31
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Thundergirls, Perhaps you need to update the firmware version. Others have posted that with v 0.15 you only need to enter the credit card drm once; however, I could be wrong since I'm a newbie and don't have my Jetbook lite yet. Friday delivery (tomorrow) according to fedex tracking though
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #32
Thundergirls
Thundergirls began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I'm okay with the JBL as is for now, it does everything I need. If they included some other really cool features with an update I'd be onboard.

By the way, I didn't mention that while the JBL isn't exactly the perfect way to show off vacation slides, the image viewer works pretty well when the pix are pre-formatted to 800 x 600 pixels. I've also tried loading comic books (extracted CBR/CBZ files) and if you were desperate it does work but I think the ultimate electronic comic book reader is probably 2 or 3 years out with something like a large color Kindle or equivalent... Apple's IPAD maybe?
Thundergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #33
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.X. Fort View Post
Thundergirls, Perhaps you need to update the firmware version. Others have posted that with v 0.15 you only need to enter the credit card drm once; however, I could be wrong since I'm a newbie and don't have my Jetbook lite yet. Friday delivery (tomorrow) according to fedex tracking though
She does...

The newest firmware is v0.15 patch v15.

It fixes the problems with entering the DRM code. It also fixes the problem with the missing lines at the end of some pages.

I found that reading a pdf is not too bad. You can hit the ok button and it brings up 9 sectors (or hit it again and have 4 sectors) and if you push a number button, it will zoom in on that sector.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #34
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I just got my JBL in the mail today. I have to say the screen is quite impressive. I didn't think it would be as good as it actually is.
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #35
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolrone View Post
I just got my JBL in the mail today. I have to say the screen is quite impressive. I didn't think it would be as good as it actually is.
Yes, jetBook has Toshiba TFT screen and many people like it more than eInk
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #36
Thundergirls
Thundergirls began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Just to update my previous JetBook Lite comments

I received my Barnes and Noble nook today. Comparing it to the JetBook Lite, I have to say the JBL still holds its own.

The biggest advantage the Nook has over the JBL would be the wireless feature; "would be," since, like apparently many others, it's as good as impossible to register the Nook on a wi-fi network. 3g, Edge or GPRS a must, it would seem.

So wireless out of the way, the Jetbook still excels in a couple of areas.

* You can zoom in on PDFS on the JBL. Not on the Nook. If it's text, not as much of a problem, but for graphics laden PDFS, the JBL seems more practical.

* Amazingly, I missed that you can't rotate pages, even PDFS, on the Nook. Another swing & a miss for B&N, a solid base hit for JBL.

Readability is subjective of course, but I find the JBL's reflective screen makes it easier to read than the Nook in subdued light.

With the street price of the JBL getting close to $100, and a nowhere-else-to-buy price of $259 for the Nook, unless you're intoxicated about the wireless delivery, go JBL.
Thundergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #37
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Device: magflalmVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergirls View Post
I'm okay with the JBL as is for now, it does everything I need. If they included some other really cool features with an update I'd be onboard.

By the way, I didn't mention that while the JBL isn't exactly the perfect way to show off vacation slides, the image viewer works pretty well when the pix are pre-formatted to 800 x 600 pixels. I've also tried loading comic books (extracted CBR/CBZ files) and if you were desperate it does work but I think the ultimate electronic comic book reader is probably 2 or 3 years out with something like a large color Kindle or equivalent... Apple's IPAD maybe?
Sorry to necropost, but I found this quite amusing, I ordered a JBL yesterday, but one of the things that I was lookiing for in a reader was the ability to read *.cbr/cbz files. I guess the JBL will be able to do that? Probably not full screen though?
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #38
GA Russell
Sask last undefeated team
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Yes, jetBook has Toshiba TFT screen and many people like it more than eInk
I checked out the Sony 300 and its eInk screen at Best Buy in November. I got my first look at the JBL's TFT screen on Christmas Day when I opened it up, and have been quite satisfied with its screen since then.

On Friday I stopped by Best Buy again, and had another look at the Sony. I came to the conclusion that for me it doesn't matter.

In December the Sony 300 was going for $199 plus tax, and I got my JBL for $117 total. At those prices, if the Sony had the TFT and the JBL had the eInk, I would have gotten the JBL and been satisfied with it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #39
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I checked out the Sony 300 and its eInk screen at Best Buy in November. I got my first look at the JBL's TFT screen on Christmas Day when I opened it up, and have been quite satisfied with its screen since then.

On Friday I stopped by Best Buy again, and had another look at the Sony. I came to the conclusion that for me it doesn't matter.

In December the Sony 300 was going for $199 plus tax, and I got my JBL for $117 total. At those prices, if the Sony had the TFT and the JBL had the eInk, I would have gotten the JBL and been satisfied with it.
Well, the screen is important for me. If I had a choice to buy jetBook with TFT screen ot jetBook with eInk screen for the same price I would choose jetBook with TFT.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #40
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl007 View Post
Sorry to necropost, but I found this quite amusing, I ordered a JBL yesterday, but one of the things that I was lookiing for in a reader was the ability to read *.cbr/cbz files. I guess the JBL will be able to do that? Probably not full screen though?
There is another thread here somewhere about convertinc cbr files to pdf files and reading them on the JBL.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote