Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #31
pastorchuck
pastorchuck began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I would if someone could tell me when it will be available.

So I would consider it, however, as I have a DR1000 & Sony 505, I think it prudent to see how things develop and see what format develops for a single e-book reading experience. The present DRM debacle is confusing for newcomers and even ourselves as the wording of what works with what and how is a nightmare. B&N with a book share feature would be a more realistic way forward in my view, but that sounds like yet another format...

Howard[/QUOTE]

I am very interested in buying one ... but I'd like to see it first. Every time I check Best Buy I have to go through the same process of educating their sales and Customer service folk. I'm really don't understand how they run their business when they keep the employees in the dark the way they seem to.

Has anyone seen it and can it be purchased or ordered?

pastorchuck
pastorchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I checked with my local store (back when it was still listed on their website), and they are supposed to get 2 units on Tuesday, 3 November. My estimated shipping date is between 3 and 11 November.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #33
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I am very interested in this reader. I'm a Kindle user (both DX and K2) and I will likely continue to use those devices, but neither of them is ideal for me. This new iRex reader seems like it is small enough to carry around, but still has a reasonably-sized screen. It looks like this reader will accept files from B&N, Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, and (eventually) Sony, which makes it really nice I think.

Until Amazon realizes that (1) a keyboard is a waste of space on a reader, and (2) format compatibility is a MUST, I will be a multiple-reader person.

Sony lost my business forever when they sold me that lousy 700 and then refused to take it back (silly me, I thought Sony sold quality products and I had them engrave it for me, which made it non-returnable even though it was IMHO unusable).

Last edited by mdibella; 11-20-2009 at 10:15 AM.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #34
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm guessing that it hasn't shipped yet otherwise you would have posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I checked with my local store (back when it was still listed on their website), and they are supposed to get 2 units on Tuesday, 3 November. My estimated shipping date is between 3 and 11 November.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #35
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
The current general consensus based on a few emails from customer service is that the release has been pushed back until mid-December. Who knows at this point since this is pretty typical for iRex. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the holiday season completely.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #36
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Who ever is in charge of their rollout should be fired. I mean Barnes and Noble had already dropped the ball on the Nook and nobody can take advantage of that.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #37
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Don't the screens on these readers all come from the same manufacturer? Maybe even the same factory?

It seems like everyone trying to roll out at once has probably buried that factory in backorders.

Just a guess...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #38
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
Who ever is in charge of their rollout should be fired. I mean Barnes and Noble had already dropped the ball on the Nook and nobody can take advantage of that.
I continue to be amazed that iRex has the same problems with every device launch and every firmware update. They have consistently announced dates for products and software releases that just don't materialize. They seem to have gotten a little better on the software side, but the hardware side still seems pretty screwed up. I really don't expect them to survive long term unless something dramatic happens.

The 800 looks to be a really nice product, especially if it has the sleep feature and battery life mentioned in their blog, but their marketing and general business management are a joke.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Don't the screens on these readers all come from the same manufacturer? Maybe even the same factory?
Yes. I think all current eInk screens are manufactured by PVI.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #40
pl1n1us
pl1n1us began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
I have a Sony PRS700 and I am looking for something with a larger screen. Also the ability to annotate is a plus for me. I have not decided between the Que or Irex DR800SG, but I would buy one given that it may be available before the Que. The only thing that i don't like about the Irex is the limited file support (no .*doc, xls, rtf). Hopefully, because it is running on a Linux distro support may be added later.

So definitely maybe.
pl1n1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #41
pastorchuck
pastorchuck began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Has there been any word on shipping dates for the DR800SG? Have there been any reasons given for the delays in releasing the product?
pastorchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #42
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Always keep in mind when assimilating theories and rumors:

Quote:
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorchuck View Post
Has there been any word on shipping dates for the DR800SG? Have there been any reasons given for the delays in releasing the product?
The last word from them was on their blog and stated "delays that are out of our control". No further details of what that means, or an official release date.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #44
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I received a reply from Irex today. I asked them the following:
Quote:
Why is there a delay for the release?

When is the current expectation for release?
Their reply:
Quote:
Thank you for showing interest in our product.

The DR800SG will be available mid December and can be bought at Best Buy
USA.
They really seem to be avoiding saying why the reader is being delayed. I'm sure they are going to release it, but I have no confidence on whether we will see it any time soon or not.

I must be a glutton for punishment though because I still intend on buying it.

Etienne66

Last edited by etienne66; 11-30-2009 at 01:36 PM.
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote