Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, all the eInk devices use ADE to display ePub files. I've grown to like the marginal page numbers personally, because they mark a specific point in the text which does not vary with text size, fonts, devices, or anything else. My page 50 will be the same as your page 50, even if I'm reading on a CyBook Opus and you on a Sony PRS-505. Provided that a small right margin is left for the display of the page number (I use 13pt in my ePubs), I find them wholly unobjectionable.

Yep. I like having the "objective" page numbers there myself and don't have an issue when it overlaps the text for the most part.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #32
whiteorca
whiteorca began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Support on the PRS300/600 is exactly similar to 505/700:
- no justification
- 300k limit
- page number in the margin

They're working on this problem though, maybe a fix with a firmware update.
Would the 300k limit be, no pun intended, limited to books? I use calibre to get several RSS newsfeeds, and many are way over that size. So far, no problem reading any on my 505...

I do agree on the Justification and the page number... There's an area of opportunity there for Sony to correct, I think
whiteorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #33
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
300k limit is for one xhtml flow (usually a chapter, but depends on the book). Calibre knows about that limit and automatically splits flows if necessary.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find them wholly unobjectionable.
I do to for the most part. I think the Opus handles them the best, but the Sony's aren't horrible. The Astak's are worse since the page numbers get larger along with text size (sometimes blocking out whole words), but I'm sure they'll get that worked out at some point.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #35
Quicksand
Quicksand began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wish the display of the page number in the margin was optional, so the user could select if to display it or not. The reader I am using also shows page number in info bar on the bottom of the screen and many people will probably not need to see yet another copy of the page number in the margin. I would much rather use the screen real-estate for text.
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I like having the status bar and the numbers in the margins rarely overlap the text so it's actually useful to me. To each his own.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #37
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
There are some pictures here with the 900. I found one very interesting. The 900 is placed near the 600 and the 300. I think they are all displaying an Epub book, the same one. The 900 has justified text right? Does this mean that Sony realized they can display full justified books in their readers?

Will Sony come with a firmware update for those who are already their customers or they will bring up one additional improvement only with the new released products?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs-300-600-900.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	36196  
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #38
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Let's just hope that the justified text is a software issue than a screen issue. I'd hate to be told that the text isn't justified and can't be fixed because the screen is 6" and under.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #39
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
Let's just hope that the justified text is a software issue than a screen issue. I'd hate to be told that the text isn't justified and can't be fixed because the screen is 6" and under.
The 900 has a 7" scren diagonal but I think it has the same width as the 600, 505, 500. I'm sure it's not about the screen.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #40
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burliburd View Post
The 900 has a 7" scren diagonal but I think it has the same width as the 600, 505, 500. I'm sure it's not about the screen.
My opinion exactly...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #41
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
This has nothing to do with hardware, it's purely a software issue (they need to update to a new version of the Adobe SDK).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #42
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
If you guys are really impatient you can keep sending them e-mails until they fix it: feedback@ebookstore.sony.com
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote