Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #31
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Ah, okay. Well I certainly hope you enjoy West Wing. I saw a few episodes and bought the first season on DVD but haven't watched them yet. And I've heard The Wire is good. As to the rest, I haven't a clue. Except for Lost. I only wish it had been lost on its way to you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #32
Peter_Hartland
Peter_Hartland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, MacBook, Blackberry Curve 8900
3 further episodes in the UK before David Tennett is killed off & a new young lad takes over the stewardship of the Doctor
Peter_Hartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I got too easily lost on Lost .... pity - it started out Sooooo well ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #34
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I got too easily lost on Lost .... pity - it started out Sooooo well ....
I only watched an episode or two but I hated the concept: delude the viewer early on into classifying a character as either good or bad and the spend the rest of the series providing new glimpses of the character that will continually cause you to flip your opinion of him or her. "He's a good guy! No, he's a bad guy! No, he's a good guy! Oh, whatever!"
Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I only watched an episode or two but I hated the concept: delude the viewer early on into classifying a character as either good or bad and the spend the rest of the series providing new glimpses of the character that will continually cause you to flip your opinion of him or her. "He's a good guy! No, he's a bad guy! No, he's a good guy! Oh, whatever!"
Absolutely agree - as my Grandmother would have put it, "Too clever for it's own good".
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've only seen the two series, and thought it was enthralling. A very, very clever concept, to keep the viewer guessing about what's going on. The first two series were shown here on free terrestrial TV, but it became so popular that it was then bought by Sky, a commercial satellite broadcaster, for the subsequent series, so I've not seen any more. I'll probably wait until it finishes next year, and then buy the whole thing on DVD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #37
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I quite liked Lost in the early days - by series 4 it was getting a bit surreal and that is when it lost me I am afraid
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #38
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Perhaps I'm being a bit rough on Lost. I probably would have liked it better if I had watched enough to care about any of the characters. Then perhaps I might have been caught up in the continuing guessing game about each of them. Since I didn't care about any of them, I found this process annoying.

This scheme has become more common, I think. My wife watched the first two seasons of Heroes a couple of years ago and the set up was the same. It was entertaining the first year for me (I particularly liked the character Hiro) but this show, too, became too surreal. If it comes your way, you might keep an eye out for it, Harry.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot about "Heroes". I agree with you - it started out promisingly, but then seemed to get rather bogged down. I lost interest when the second series got totally "mangled" by the writers' strike in the US.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #40
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Am part way through Heroes Series one on DVD - My brother also has series two. I Like Hiro too lol
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #41
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) and the BBC must have some kind of exchange system in place, both being national Corporations
WDE.
In the case of doctor who its my understanding that the CBC co produces it, so that means they get to air whenever they want.
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
We have some? No, really?
A lot of them. E.g.:
  • The Wire
  • Sopranos
  • Buffy
  • Wonderfalls
  • Veronica Mars
  • NCIS
  • Life
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #43
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
You know Wonderfalls? Wow! That series was good! The main character was played by a Quebecer, Caroline Dhavernas. I was so sad when it got cancelled...
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #44
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Torchwood

There might not be any new Dr Who here in the UK, but this week we have 5 hours of brade new Torchwood--the Dr Who spin-off for grownups (it says here). This is being shown 1 hour per evening for 5 days. I generally prefer Torchwood to Dr Who--the longer format allows for more character development. Dr Who always seems to degenerate into a lot of running around being chased by the baddies. And I'm not a Tennant fan, I can't stand all that grinning and manic behaviour. My favourite episode--Blink--is one where he hardly appears at all, which is one of the reasons I liked it so much (plus the great writing).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, Torchwood is excellent. Did you listen to the three radio plays of Torchwood last week? All were pretty good, I thought. You can hear them on the "Listen Again" service if you missed them.