Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #31
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
High resolution picture of the new booken is here
http://shop.totalereaders.com/epages...uctDetailImage
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #32
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Oh!! It's bigger than my Gen 3 (too high resolution photo are baaad )
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #33
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
▪  12 different font sizes
For what? PDF??? I don't think so... and with ePUB it's relatively size changes AFAIK. No word about PDF-Reflow, which is a must to use it properly on an eReader.

OK, there's lots of books available for PDF and ePUB is surely the latest craze everywhere, but instead of throwing more new devices (with just minimal differences) on the market, the manufacturers should come up with something more frssh/innovative like:

- plastic substrate screen
- good PDF support with reflow and adjustable fonts (even my several years old Adobe Palm PDA version had this!)
- color
- a $99,-- eReader (heck, there's even a $199,-- laptop...)
- activatable light (for reading in the dark)
- and so on...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #34
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
- plastic substrate screen
PVI/eInk says it will not be here until the end of 2009/begining of 2010
Quote:
- good PDF support with reflow and adjustable fonts (even my several years old Adobe Palm PDA version had this!)
I'm not sure that the Adobe Mobile SDK allow this
Quote:
- color
Not until 2010 (but I'm nearly sure that it will be not before 2011 for eInk screen)
Quote:
- a $99,-- eReader (heck, there's even a $199,-- laptop...)
Yes you can... Without the screen, or get only the screen without the electronics or the plastic parts... (the most expensive component of an ePaper eReader is the eInk screen...)
Quote:
Do you have such a thing of a pBook?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #35
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
- good PDF support with reflow and adjustable fonts...
I'm not sure that the Adobe Mobile SDK allow this
I can have 2 different sizes and bold fonts on my Palm PDA (Adobe Reader v3.05) + it uses the system font (which I can change!). If Adobe Mobile SDK doesn't allows this, then they should do something about it... It has be done, so...?!

Quote:
Do you have such a thing of a pBook?
No, but I also have no adjustable fonts on a pBook or thousands of books stored in such little space - that's why I like eReaders!

Regarding the Opus device: If this would be the said $99,-- Reader I'd buy (at least) 2 in an instant - one for better fitting in my suit pocket and one for my wife (she's not 100% convinced of eReaders yet)...

And if it would come in several (nice) colors... (who's the one to say "iPod"-Reader...)
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Regarding the Opus device: If this would be the said $99,-- Reader I'd buy (at least) 2 in an instant - one for better fitting in my suit pocket and one for my wife (she's not 100% convinced of eReaders yet)...
Me too! But both for me, one for in that pocket and one for the other pocket

Quote:
And if it would come in several (nice) colors... (who's the one to say "iPod"-Reader...)
I'd buy it in black, don't need an Ipod-reader...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #37
Godzil

Quote:
I can have 2 different sizes and bold fonts on my Palm PDA (Adobe Reader v3.05) + it uses the system font (which I can change!). If Adobe Mobile SDK doesn't allows this, then they should do something about it... It has be done, so...?!
Are you sure you could do this on PDF?

The pdf format is some sort of static format, doing reflow is a "hack". I never seen on official Adobe Reader a way to change the font, nor font size on PDF. Even reflow is not an official option of the PDF and is provided only by the Digital Edition Mobile SDK...

I'm quite sure your right, but I am really surprised to heard that there were already device with such capabilities

After some search: Hum as I see, the Adobe Reader for palm does not read "real" PDF but adapted one. The Windows Mobile version of adobe reader (for example) don't have such options Maybe adobe work a bit better at this time and had good ideas like these options, unfortunatly, it seems to be the only version of PDF reader that support this...

I'm not an expert on the DE Mobile SDK but I don't see any such option as changing the font and font size with it.

To be more simple, just open a PDF with Digital Edition and you will see the majority of option that is accessible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd buy it in black, don't need an Ipod-reader...
YES! I'd love to see iPod like colored eBooks reader like the Opus
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given Bookeen's support of the Gen3, do you really want to get the same level of no support on this device?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #39
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
while i do love my cybook, i must admit that was the first thing that came to my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given Bookeen's support of the Gen3, do you really want to get the same level of no support on this device?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #40
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
So Bookeen has the time, money and manpower to invest into a new reading device - but they don't have any left for a firmware update for the Gen3.

<sarcasm>Now isn't THAT great news!</sarcasm>

Also, in case the Opus really only supports epub and pdf, they'll face a tough competiton - there are already other device out there which offer more.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #41
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
After some search: Hum as I see, the Adobe Reader for palm does not read "real" PDF but adapted one. The Windows Mobile version of adobe reader (for example) don't have such options Maybe adobe work a bit better at this time and had good ideas like these options, unfortunatly, it seems to be the only version of PDF reader that support this...
You're right, as the PDF files need to be transfered via synchronizing/installing of the Palm software, but the reader itself was from Adobe (the process is said to be tagging the file).

It's not the only version that allows reflow. The Adobe Reader LE 2.5 on my Nokia N958GB has reflow, but it's no free version... (no conversion needed, just copy the PDF to the phone)

Quote:
YES! I'd love to see iPod like colored eBooks reader like the Opus
Mine would be blue, my wife's orange...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #42
Godzil

Quote:
It's not the only version that allows reflow. The Adobe Reader LE 2.5 on my Nokia N958GB has reflow, but it's no free version... (no conversion needed, just copy the PDF to the phone)
Interesting to hear, maybe a newer version of Digital Edition will support such a thing? Anyway ePub will always be better for this than PDF

(and for the colors: )

Last edited by Godzil; 05-19-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: correcting a typo
Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #43
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
So Bookeen has the time, money and manpower to invest into a new reading device - but they don't have any left for a firmware update for the Gen3.

<sarcasm>Now isn't THAT great news!</sarcasm>

Also, in case the Opus really only supports epub and pdf, they'll face a tough competiton - there are already other device out there which offer more.
Which one ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #44
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalRoul View Post
Yes, the price will be 249,95 Euro and I hope I don't break any rules by saying that you can pre-order at shop.totalereaders.com.
Ouch. That's $340 USD. It would be the same price as the current Gen3 for the US.

Why can't these smaller screen eReaders be cheaper instead of more expensive?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Ouch. That's $340 USD. It would be the same price as the current Gen3 for the US.

Why can't these smaller screen eReaders be cheaper instead of more expensive?
Ah, that's the magic of prices in europe not folowing the standard euro - dollard conversion. Gen 3 is 280 Euros here. If Opus is less expensive in europe, it should be in us too.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote