Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 06:30 AM   #31
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
Yes. I did search for user/owner reviews on this forum as well as video reviews so it wasn't a surprise when the light is off to find that it is a grey background. (I have yet to clean the screen after taking the protective film off, others experiences mention that improved screen for them)

Even with the Kindle O3 I have to bump the light up 10% with daylight reading in an unevenly lighted room. I did a quick comparison between the 2, and I'd say with both lights off, the kindle background is 2 shades lighter.

I called a local computer/device repair place today to see if it was worth replacing the Micro USB port: $80 an hour and most likely soldering involved so they didn't recommend fooling with it.

And the Kobo Clara BW would be brighter and crisper, too. But what you trade off in brightness (which you compensate for by increasing it as you did) and resolution vs the KO3, you make up for in color, speed, and integrated Overdrive, Google Drive, Pocket, and Dropbox. If you don’t use those services, though, they aren’t much of a perk. But I’m pleased with mine. Others on this board are, too. You notice the grainy display and the lower color res at first, but after a while you stop noticing it. That was my experience.

$80/hour to repair the port is better than what I was quoted locally when my KAO LE’s port died, but it’s still cost prohibitive. Sometimes you can find people in this forum who offer to do the repair for you if you supply the parts. Not often, but I’ve seen it. Keep your eyes out for them if you want to resurrect your KAO.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote