Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2022, 01:06 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
Well, that was yesterday.
Today, when attempting to connect the Kobo to Calibre Portable, I get:

"calibre, version 6.1.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 540, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2024, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed"

Anybody can tell me what does this mean?!

Thanks!
Very bad news. That is telling you that the database image on your Kobo has been damaged. If you have not configured the database backup in calibre, you can try sigining out and signing back in on your Kobo which will generate a new database and then import any sideloaded ebooks. You will lose any book stats.

To setup the automated backup, click on the arrow beside the KoboUtilities icon and select Customize plug-in. On the Devices tab, click on on of the backup options (I use the daily one). Under destination, browse to a location to store the backups. I use Copies to keep to save 5 copies to keep disk space use down and use the Compress database with config files. This will save your configuration no more than once per day as a .zip file.

If you have configured backing up your Kobo database on connect, you can copy the KoboReader.sqlite file found in the backup to your Kobo's .kobo directory.

Edit: The most common cause for database corruption that I've found is not safely ejecting your Kobo before unplugging the USB cable. Generally, I wait for the Kobo to start importing or to return to the GUI before I pull the cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	database_backup_config.png
Views:	378
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	195339  

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2022 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added comment about corruption cause
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:17 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
Well, that was yesterday.
Today, when attempting to connect the Kobo to Calibre Portable, I get:

"calibre, version 6.1.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 540, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2024, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed"

Anybody can tell me what does this mean?!
It means exactly what it said. The database on the device is corrupt and unreadable. To recover from that, you will need to either restore a backup of the database or sign out of your Kobo account on the device and sign back in. That will recreate the database and import any sideloaded books again. Unfortunately, you will lose the reading status and annotations for these books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 12:09 PM   #33
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast
Maria Loranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Kobo Libra 2
DNSB and davidfor

Thank you for your help.

Fortunately, this is not very bad news for me. I don't care much about the reading stats.

I signed out of the account on the Kobo device - this led to setting up the Kobo device again - no problem there.
And I was able to connect the Kobo device to Calibre Portable, delete a title from the device and add a title to the device.

So, for the time being, I'm good.

I am left with the problem of not being able to install the 2 Calibre .msi that I tried, although I was able to install another .msi.
Maria Loranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #34
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Latest news from the trenches

Well, I now tried to instal calibre-64bit-6.2.1.msi - failed as all previous Calibre .msi.

Am I condemned to the Calibre Portable for ever?
Old 09-12-2023, 07:26 AM   #35
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
FWIW, this just happened to me & the problem was a faulty kobo update. Calibre was happy once I did a factory reset of my device.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2023, 09:40 AM   #36
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Windows re-install was also my solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
FWIW, this just happened to me & the problem was a faulty kobo update. Calibre was happy once I did a factory reset of my device.
Thanks. Interesting that you say it was the fault of the Kobo update - it worked with Calibre Portable.

At the time, I did not want to re-install my system.
However, I recently had to do it (new hard drive) and all went well with the installation of Calibre's latest version

Tags
kobo libra 2, unsupported firmware, update failure