Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #31
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
@geek1011's firmware page always includes a link to "Other Versions" - effectively older versions
If your Kobo runs the 4.30.188838 you don't need to put it on the reader.

May I propose the following:

Get the Kobopatch_4.30.188838.zip file to your computer.

Unzip the content to a folder, let's call the folder Kobo430.

Kobo430 will have a subfolder src.
Copy the update file kobo-update-4.30.18838.zip to Kobe430/src (see Post from Uncle Robin)
Don't unzip kobo-update-4.30.18838.zip

The batch file kobopatch.bat in Folder Kobo430 should be able to run now.
Run it and check that you have gotten KoboRoot.tgz in the folder Kobo430/out

If that is the case then now do your patches, and rerun the batch-file.
If something is wrong now, then something is wrong with your edits.
svenlind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
@geek1011's firmware page always includes a link to "Other Versions" - effectively older versions
And of course the MR Wiki has all versions listed at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
...(it was hard to find the firmware my Kobo's running 4.30.18838 to download, everywhere I looked was offering the 4.31 firmware).
In post #28, I linked to another thread. The first post on that thread has links directly to the firmware you need. You can download 4.30.18838 from HERE

Scroll down to VERSIONS and click 'show'

You want 4.30.18838 and the Libra 2 is called kobo9 on that chart.

Quote:
What determines whether I need to install this firmware onto the reader at this point? It already has it - it came with this firmware already installed.*
Before you plug your Kobo into a computer, before you download any files whatsoever, go to the home screen of your Kobo, click More/Settings/Device information

Right in the middle of the screen you should see Software Details/Software version. You just want to make sure the number you see there matches the number on the files you are downloading.

Quote:
Replace the four yaml files with the ones I've edited.
I would recommend you do NOT do that. As mentioned, I believe the reason the .bat file is crashing immediately is because you have something wrong in one of the .yaml files you edited. So don't start all over again and import broken files.

Easy suggestion:
Delete all the patches you have downloaded so far. Start from scratch with a new download of the patches.

Import the firmware. Don't change anything and run the .bat file. That should at least show you the .bat file will work properly.

Once you see that the .bat file works, then open libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml.
Search for Enable advanced settings for all fonts.
Change no to yes.
Save.
Run the .bat file again.
Make sure it doesn't immediately crash like it was.

If all goes well, import the new KoboRoot.tgz in the out folder to the .kobo folder on the Libra s.
Eject the Libra 2. It should think for a few seconds and then autorestart. Once that is done, you should have advanced font controls.

I am overly explaining the steps and going into too much detail for clarity. I promise, once you do it, patching the Kobo is pretty easy. I'm no computer wizard myself.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Inquiring minds want to know: were you able to get your firmware patched? Was any of our advice helpful in the end?
Old 03-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you say you've been unable to patch, I'll send you my patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm wondering if whatever program is being used to unzip the patch is causing problems and placing things in wrong directories. Or they're moving files around and not just letting things unzip where they should.

Quote:
In the src file I can see:
KoboRoot (a folder containing all manner of strange things)
kobo-update-4.30.18838 (a folder containing the upgrade folder and manifest.md5sum)
download_firmware_here.txt
kobopatch.bat
KoboRoot.tgz
libadobe.so.yaml
libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml
librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml
nickel.yaml

Is this what I ought to be seeing?
That seems off. When I patch, things NOT in the src directory that they list above are:
KoboRoot (a folder containing all manner of strange things)
kobopatch.bat - this should be in the main Patch directory to run correctly
KoboRoot.tgz - this should be in the out directory if the patch ran successfully

Two of those files maybe happened if they unzipped the firmware instead of placing the zipped file into src. But the batch file definitely should not be in the src directory. Maybe that's why it's not finding the correct path, it's already starting out in the wrong location?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Two of those files maybe happened if they unzipped the firmware instead of placing the zipped file into src.
They mentioned that they did indeed to that.

Quote:
But the batch file definitely should not be in the src directory. Maybe that's why it's not finding the correct path, it's already starting out in the wrong location?
Could be. But I've noticed when I do my patching, if I mess up one of the .yaml files, I get the exact same immediate close when I run the .bat that they described. I have to look at log.txt to see what I did wrong.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Could be. But I've noticed when I do my patching, if I mess up one of the .yaml files, I get the exact same immediate close when I run the .bat that they described. I have to look at log.txt to see what I did wrong.
Under Windows, if the kobopatch.bat file is not in a directory containing the bin directory, it will not find the koboptch-windows.exe executable and will end immediately without generating a log.txt file. If you run kobopatch.bat in the src directory from a command prompt, you'll get the following:

Code:
C:\Users\David\Desktop\Kobo Patcher\kobopatch\src>kobopatch.bat
The system cannot find the path specified.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:48 AM   #39
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've been away from the forum for a short while because I've had a cold and generally feeling tired, disinclined to fight with technology. However, I'm brighter and better now.

Still haven't fixed this issue. I tried svenlind's process from post #31, with a variation.
I create three yaml folders:
one containing virgin, unpatched yamls,
one containing the ones with the original edits
one intended to copy the edits, ensuring I made no errors in spacing etc.

I also didn't unzip the kobo-update-4.30.18838 file (which I did before).

My first attempt was with the original, edited yamls. This failed, but I was given a lot of error stuff I don't understand.

I tried with the virgin, unedited yamls. This also failed.

This is the error gobbledygook:

kobopatch 653070c
https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch

KoboPatch::LoadConfig
reading config file from *os.File
unmarshaling yaml
| {
| "Version": "4.30.18838",
| "In": "src/kobo-update-4.30.18838.zip",
| "Out": "out/KoboRoot.tgz",
| "Log": "out/log.txt",
| "PatchFormat": "kobopatch",
| "Patches": {
| "src/libadobe.so.yaml": "usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so",
| "src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml": "usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0",
| "src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml": "usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0",
| "src/nickel.yaml": "usr/local/Kobo/nickel"
| },
| "Overrides": {
| "src/libadobe.so.yaml": null,
| "src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml": null,
| "src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml": null,
| "src/nickel.yaml": null
| },
| "Lrelease": "",
| "Translations": null,
| "Files": null
| }

KoboPatch::OutputInit

KoboPatch::ApplyPatches
KoboPatch:penIn
Opening firmware zip 'src/kobo-update-4.30.18838.zip'
--> open src/kobo-update-4.30.18838.zip: The system cannot find the file specified.

This means nothing to me.
It appeared in the Out folder.

Oh, and I've been unzipping the patch using the Windows Explorer 'extract' feature.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #40
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to a gallant MR member who sent me a patch file, I've successfully created a KoboRoot.tgz file. Where do I put this on the kobo?

Thank you so much for all the help and support.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #41
BookCat
C L J

I've done it!

Now the kobo is perfect.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've done it!

Now the kobo is perfect.
Congratulations!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebookfriendly-cartoon-29.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	193106
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote