Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #31
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I chose to wait to read Peace Talks until I could read Battle Ground straight after, which I finally completed over the weekend.

Firstly, I think the 5 year break between releases is a big contributing factor towards my overall disappointment with them. I just couldn't seem to get in to either of them very much. Perhaps I would have had more enthusiasm had I not somewhat "moved on" emotionally from the series.

Having said that, there were parts I enjoyed such as Butters growing into the role of Knight, the way Murphy's death was handled, Molly playing a bigger part again.

A plot development I'm really looking forward to is how Marcone handles becoming a Knight of the Blackened Denarius. For now he seems to be able to control the fallen Angel and it could prove very interesting to see whether he falls or ends up subjugating the Angel.

I agree the Ebenezer rift sub-plot seemed very forced. I couldn't really understand why Dresden wouldn't simply tell him about Tomas. There were other issues but nothing too bad or worth mentioning.

Overall, it was just a general lack of interest in the story that led to my disappointment. However, I do want to see how the story arc completes and will, barring unforeseen circumstances, continue to the end. I just hope there isn't another 4 to 5 year wait.

Last edited by PKFFW; 12-07-2020 at 06:22 PM.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I chose to wait to read Peace Talks until I could read Battle Ground straight after, which I finally completed over the weekend.

Firstly, I think the 5 year break between releases is a big contributing factor towards my overall disappointment with them. I just couldn't seem to get in to either of them very much. Perhaps I would have had more enthusiasm had I not somewhat "moved on" emotionally from the series.

Having said that, there were parts I enjoyed such as Butters growing into the role of Knight, the way Murphy's death was handled, Molly playing a bigger part again.

A plot development I'm really looking forward to is how Marcone handles becoming a Knight of the Blackened Denarius. For now he seems to be able to control the fallen Angel and it could prove very interesting to see whether he falls or ends up subjugating the Angel.

I agree the Ebenezer rift sub-plot seemed very forced. I couldn't really understand why Dresden wouldn't simply tell him about Tomas. There were other issues but nothing too bad or worth mentioning.

Overall, it was just a general lack of interest in the story that led to my disappointment. However, I do want to see how the story arc completes and will, barring unforeseen circumstances, continue to the end. I just hope there isn't another 4 to 5 year wait.
I felt that way about the Wheel of Time series. By the last three books that Jordan wrote, I was just ready for it to be over. I wanted to see how it ended, but it just didn't excite me anymore.

For me, the big difference between the Wheel of Time and the Dresden Files is that for the most part, each book in the Dresden files is a lot more self contained than the Wheel of Time. Each book has it's own story arc. Yes, there are threads that go on through the series, but for the most part, each book tends to resolve whatever plot line that story was about.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #33
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I felt that way about the Wheel of Time series. By the last three books that Jordan wrote, I was just ready for it to be over. I wanted to see how it ended, but it just didn't excite me anymore.

For me, the big difference between the Wheel of Time and the Dresden Files is that for the most part, each book in the Dresden files is a lot more self contained than the Wheel of Time. Each book has it's own story arc. Yes, there are threads that go on through the series, but for the most part, each book tends to resolve whatever plot line that story was about.
Yes, I agree. If each book was not more or less self contained I would very likely stop now.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote