Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #31
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
What?! In all the books I've read so far on my Kobo Forma, there's no background color or image behind the text. Can you share a pic of what you're seeing/experiencing?
I looked yesterday but didn't find anything; looked again today and found this one, http://freeread.com.au/@RGLibrary/LewWallace/LewWallace.html, the last one, The Wooing of Malkatoon. I didn't try opening it on my kobo, just looked at the css and html.

I suspect it's a result of him making the html page first and then using some automated method of producing the epub from the web page. But it may only be older ones that he made.

Another place where it happened was when I got disgusted with the built in ereader on the Onyx Boox and downloaded some from the google store. Some of those start/default with a background texture image or color. Which isn't so bad on a tablet but on eink it's nuts.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What?! In all the books I've read so far on my Kobo Forma, there's no background color or image behind the text. Can you share a pic of what you're seeing/experiencing?
I don't have any examples on my Forma at the moment. It's one of those items on my that has to be removed list. The last one was an ebook that wanted the ancient parchment look for the pages. Evidently it was supposed to make the sword and sorcery seem more realistic. I reloaded the book into calibre and have attached a screenshot of a page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	background.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	180276  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
On my Kobo I usually use the default font when reading in the daytime. Every once in a while I'll come across a book that's in some unusual font that I find annoying so I'll change it, usually to Georgia or Amasis. I prefer serif fonts in daylight. If I am reading in the dark at bedtime I find I prefer a sans serif font. I usually use Gil Sans then.

My old Sony reader didn't have that many font size adjustments. Sometimes the default font would have a huge gap between sizes so I would have to experiment with the other fonts on the reader until I found one that would show up at a size I liked. This occasionally happens on my Tolino but not as often as on the Sony.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #34
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
DNSB, i don't know why you're making that argument.
I was the one who brought up the word svelte (cf my OP). JSWolf misunderstood me. So I was clarifying what I meant.

Or, to put it another way, Svelte may be the name of a font, but it isn't necessarily the name of the font I was talking about.

I've attached a pic of the font I described as svelte.
Not sure why you felt the need to blot out such a ridiculous amount of the text and in a way that interferes with getting a sense of the typeface. From what it looks like it’s a fairly light font. The chapter title is bold, but honestly it’s positioned in such a way that you’d have to be a fool to confuse it with the main body of text.

The angle the Forma is on doesn’t really help matters.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't get the redactions either. It took me all of 30 seconds to find the book used in that example.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #36
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't have any examples on my Forma at the moment. It's one of those items on my that has to be removed list. The last one was an ebook that wanted the ancient parchment look for the pages. Evidently it was supposed to make the sword and sorcery seem more realistic. I reloaded the book into calibre and have attached a screenshot of a page.
One has to wonder who thought that was a good idea.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
One has to wonder who thought that was a good idea.
I asked the author and the response was the ebook was professionally created and looked good on his iPad.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #38
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
This is actually hilarious.
I want the features of an ebook, but the feel of a 15th century parchment.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I don't get the redactions either. It took me all of 30 seconds to find the book used in that example.
Kochland, chapter 20? I think a screenshot would have been better than taking an eccentric image of the Forma.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kochland_chapter_20.png
Views:	204
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	180282  
Old 06-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #40
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I asked the author and the response was the ebook was professionally created and looked good on his iPad.
Perhaps he should have stopped writing after the first page and saved it as wallpaper for his iPad.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:13 PM   #41
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
This is actually hilarious.
I want the features of an ebook, but the feel of a 15th century parchment.
But why stop there? How about the feel and the scent of a 15th century parchment?
Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 PM   #42
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
This rather interesting juxtaposition made me think of this comedy sketch
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:16 AM   #43
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This rather interesting juxtaposition made me think of this comedy sketch
Priceless!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #44
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
I think a screenshot would have been better than taking an eccentric image of the Forma.
I know there's a patch we can enable to take screenshots with the Forma, but I haven't enabled it. I forgot my reason now, but I think it's because doing so means losing the original function of the power button.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I gotta admit, this Simon&Schuster book which prompted this thread, the book whose body's text I described as having a font that is svelte.... Well, that svelte font, I gotta admit, is hard to read. I feel like I have to read that book under brighter ceiling light or else I feel like my eyesight has gotten bad!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1593450212

By the way, can you please share a pic of a PenguinRandomHouse book page that has a lot of "embedded stupid fonts in a single page"
The font used (I think) in that S&S eBook is EBGaramond. I've seen it used in over S&S eBooks.

Here is the screen grab showing the page that Penguin uses in their eBooks. They embed fonts and that makes the eBook larger for no good reason. It looks worse on an eInk screen. The gray fonts are actually some shade of red and they show much lighter.

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	170
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	180291
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote