Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #31
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't understand why this Basic would even sell. Wait for the PW4 to go on sale you get Bigger Storage, Better PPI & a whole lot more. Like the brought back the PW1...

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindl...sr=8-2#compare
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I don't understand why this Basic would even sell. Wait for the PW4 to go on sale you get Bigger Storage, Better PPI & a whole lot more. Like the brought back the PW1...

The Basic will go on sale eventually. At $59-69 for the Basic vs $89-99 for PW4, I reckon there'd be more people who would be inclined to save the extra $30 or so.

I'm guessing the frontlight is the biggest draw for the Paperwhite series and that's one less feature differentiating the two. I don't think waterproofing or pixel density are as compelling to Kindle users as the frontlight was.

Storage? Useful for graphic novels (in which case, the ppi is a compelling reason to opt for PW4) and audiobooks. For normal books, 4GB can store a heck of a whole lot. On-device navigation and library management would be pretty difficult with 4GB (3GB useable) never mind 8-32GB.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-26-2019 at 06:17 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #33
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
On Sale yep around Black Friday...then all kindles will be on sale...so what.

Basic Is now a PW since it has lights .. nope don't believe its the lights.

New Basic 167 ppi .... PW4 300 ppi - me the difference would be eye strain...why I gave up my K3
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #34
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
I already have an Oasis, so for me it is an extra one to keep in the car/for traveling. Plus I like white ereaders. So, for me at least, that’s why I wasn’t interested in the new Paperwhite at this time. If it had been released before the waterproof Oasis, I may have bought it instead of the Oasis.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

PW2 would be more fair comparison as the storage was the same (PW1 had only 2GB, PW2 started out with that but went to 4GB IIRC). This does have 512MB RAM, whereas that had only 256MB. And it has Bluetooth for screen reader and audiobooks. The other upgrade from previous basic (other than front light) is that it is Carta rather than Pearl: better contrast. Thus $10 more.

This will go on sale as well. It’s always going to be cheaper than PW.

Some people will prefer the ‘raised’ bezel because they can feel where the edge of screen is and avoid accidental page turns.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
On Sale yep around Black Friday...then all kindles will be on sale...so what.
Because $60 (assuming they go on sale for that price) is a lot less than $90 (assuming Paperwhite 4s go that low) — and some of us don't care if the screen is 300ppi or 167ppi.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #37
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
OK, so I just switched on my new white Kindle basic and, although logically I know it has poor resolution, the screen looks crisp and bright with excellent contrast. I’m extremely pleased and very pleasantly surprised as I was half expecting to have to send it back due to fuzziness. Here’s a picture. It’s a lovely device and will be an excellent complement for my Oasis. Now to charge it and see how long the battery lasts. 😊 It looks a lot better than it does in the photo, by the way. The average person buying this who doesn’t obsess about ppi would be delighted. I do obsess about ppi and I’m delighted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7206ACF-59F8-40BF-97C2-16ABBBBDC1A3.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	171183  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #38
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thanks for the pic Pjama ! It does look nice. I think this would appeal to folks who just want an inexpensive e-reader and could be easily replaced if damaged lost or stolen while traveling. The light makes a big difference to previous basic models. If it ever came out with buttons I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I like white too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #39
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I wouldn't mind having this model for traveling etc. I have a K2 that could be traded in, which would also give 25% off the new one.

$5 trade in plus $22.50, makes it $62.50. Not a bad price for a backup Kindle.

We have a beach vacation coming up, and I wasn't thrilled with taking my Oasis.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Thanks for the feedback and pic @Pjama!

It seems e-ink is more forgiving of lower pixel densities compared to LCD. I think one problem with LCD is at low densities, you can see light in between dark pixels.

I wouldn't buy this at $90 when I can get the PW4 on sale for $90-100 but when the sales start (Mother's Day and Prime Day coming up), I'll likely get one. At $60 or so, I wouldn't mind if it gets banged up and stuff.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #41
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
OK, so I just switched on my new white Kindle basic and, although logically I know it has poor resolution, the screen looks crisp and bright with excellent contrast. I’m extremely pleased and very pleasantly surprised as I was half expecting to have to send it back due to fuzziness. Here’s a picture. It’s a lovely device and will be an excellent complement for my Oasis. Now to charge it and see how long the battery lasts. 😊 It looks a lot better than it does in the photo, by the way. The average person buying this who doesn’t obsess about ppi would be delighted. I do obsess about ppi and I’m delighted.
Very nice! Although I must admit I've come to really like - and now prefer - the flat screen/bezel design of the PW4, Voyage, and Oasis2.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Looks very nice, better than the basic Kindle 8th gen, might trade in one of my spares towards getting one.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
OK, so I just switched on my new white Kindle basic and, although logically I know it has poor resolution, the screen looks crisp and bright with excellent contrast. ...
I went down to Best Buy and saw one of these for the first time yesterday. Although Best Buy won't let you do anything but look at the thing in demo mode (and they didn't even have the light turned on), I was still impressed with the contrast and brightness of the screen. When I got my Tolino Page I saw how much better E-Carta was than Pearl, even at 167ppi. I'll probably get one of these new Basics when they go on sale.

As mentioned in your post and others, there's something to be said for ease of mind and added freedom when using an inexpensive reader.

BTW, great picture. Thanks
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #44
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
It really does make sense to have an inexpensive e-reader. I had a scare on Monday when walking with my 16 month old grandson along the river walk. We were resting on a adirondack chairs on the top deck. When he suddenly grabbed my voyage and decided it would be fun to throw it over the rail into the river. I caught him just in time. It was a close call. So yeah maybe a new basic kindle on sale would be a good idea.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #45
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I went down to Best Buy and saw one of these for the first time yesterday. Although Best Buy won't let you do anything but look at the thing in demo mode (and they didn't even have the light turned on), I was still impressed with the contrast and brightness of the screen.
My local Best Buy also had it in a very restricted demo mode, but with the light on. Unfortunately, what I really wanted to see was the contrast with the light off. Since I prefer having an indented screen, this might be a decent replacement if my Paperwhite 3 bites the dust.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote