Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2015, 03:35 AM   #31
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage79 View Post
patch_name = `Enforce user line spacing and justification in ePubs`
It gives me a error.
THanks
It is working for me. Remember to comment out the last line of the patch if you have also enabled the `Fixed/adjustable ePub top/bottom margins` patch.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #32
sage79
Enthusiast
sage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of itsage79 has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: kobo glo
sorry
sage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #33
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
What it looks like to me is that sickle starts a 20-second timer when it is first run, and whenever it receives a ping it restarts the timer at 10 seconds. If sickle is suspended then after resuming it restarts the timer at 10 seconds. If the timer ever expires then sickle triggers a reboot.

If that is how it works then the patch I posted in post #13 should be completely safe, as it just increases those timer durations.
Isn't that constantly ping and resetting consuming a "lot" of power ?
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #34
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This may have been triggered by the counter for the number of times the device restarted and nickel did not start successfully. After 5 failures, you get the critical error message. I've found it more reliable than tapping the screen corners to trigger a hardware factory reset on those Kobo devices without a hardware home/light button.

That makes sense to me, because I waited 1-2 hours while it was stuck in the loop, hoping it would just fix itself.

Before I pressed the pin I tried restarting from the top button, but that didn't seem to do anything. If I held it down for over ~15 seconds then the blinking light would become solid instead of blinking, but right after releasing it it would start blinking again.

Everything seems to be working fine now, including the sickel patch (I coincidentally didn't use Geoff's version for that).
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:17 AM   #35
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Isn't that constantly ping and resetting consuming a "lot" of power ?
I don't really know, I guess nickel has to use some extra power to wake up and send a ping every 5 seconds or so when it would otherwise have stayed in an idle state, but it is probably not much. These ARM CPUs seem to have tricks available for doing this sort of thing using a minimum of power.
Advert
Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #36
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
nickel is quite active in that regard, even before sickel it would query time all the time... at least while I was looking, which means while wifi was active. It's not simply waiting for that next tap on the screen, which is kind of what I expected given the very good battery life of the Kobo.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #37
psom
psom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
When trying to execute the patch I keep getting the error: cannot find C:\Windows\System32\3.17.0_source. Killing me because I've done this before.

EDIT: When I ran the batch file normally, NOT as an ADMIN, it worked properly.

Last edited by psom; 08-15-2015 at 06:56 AM.
psom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #38
rorkas
rorkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kobo H2O
Hi, all.

I have patched 3.17 and everything seems to be working fine except 'custom footer'. I have this patch enabled, but in kepubs I'm getting 'chapter name' and then page '#/##',

i.e. 'Chapter 1 - Beginning -- 1/100'.

Is there any way to remove chapter name from the footer?

Thanks
rorkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkas View Post
I have patched 3.17 and everything seems to be working fine except 'custom footer'. I have this patch enabled, but in kepubs I'm getting 'chapter name' and then page '#/##',

i.e. 'Chapter 1 - Beginning -- 1/100'.

Is there any way to remove chapter name from the footer?
The following works for me for kepubs (epubs never show chapter name)
Settings - Reading settings - Display progress for - Entire book
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #40
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The Dutch hyphenation dictionary hyph_nl.dic that comes with the firmware contains two faults:

1. Although marked as UTF-8, hyph_nl.dic is actually encoded as ISO8859-1. I am not sure if this creates an actual problem in practice, but my guess is it could cause problems for words which contain non-ascii characters. The hyphenation dictionaries for all other languages are correctly encoded as UTF-8.

2. The LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN settings are missing from hyph_nl.dic. This probably means that these settings default to 2, which results in extremely aggressive hyphenation, and is more likely to expose any faults in the dictionary or hyphenation algorithms. Most other languages have them set to 5.

AFAIK these faults have been present in the hyph_nl.dic in all firmware versions, but with the changes to the KEPUB hyphenation in firmware 3.16.0 they may have become more noticable.

I've attached a copy of a patched hyph_nl.dic which fixes these two problems. Because the hyph_nl.dic that comes with the Kobo firmware is identical (apart from being incorrectly marked as UTF-8) to the one available from OpenTaal.org I think it is okay to distribute a modified version from OpenTaal.org here. I have included the licence in Dutch and English. The only modifications I have made to hyph_nl.dic are to encode it as UTF-8 using iconv, and to add LEFTHYPHENMIN 5 and RIGHTHYPHENMIN 5 lines.

All you need to do to replace the hyph_nl.dic on your device with the patched one is to extract the attached ZIP file and copy the KoboRoot.tgz it contains into the.kobo directiory of your device and safely eject. It is safe to use this file on older firmware versions too.
Is it me or does the attached zip file not include a KoboRoot.tgz file?
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #41
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandos View Post
Is it me or does the attached zip file not include a KoboRoot.tgz file?
I've no idea where you're looking but the hyph_nl_utf-8.zip attachment contains 4 files and KoboRoot.tgz is one of them
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by psom View Post
When trying to execute the patch I keep getting the error: cannot find C:\Windows\System32\3.17.0_source. Killing me because I've done this before.

EDIT: When I ran the batch file normally, NOT as an ADMIN, it worked properly.
You might want to try adding CD %~DP0 at the start of the batch file to force a change to the directory the batch file was started from.

Code:
@ECHO off
cd %~DP0
REM ----------  set project name
When you started the batch file using "run as adminstrator", the start directory would be Windows\System32 so we need to change it to the directory the batch file was launched from. Let me know if this works for you.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:35 AM   #43
outlandos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've no idea where you're looking but the hyph_nl_utf-8.zip attachment contains 4 files and KoboRoot.tgz is one of them
Odd, i can see them now.

Btw, is it possible to change the hyphenation value from 5 to 4 or 3?

Last edited by outlandos; 08-16-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #44
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandos View Post
Odd, i can see them now.

Btw, is it possible to change the hyphenation value from 5 to 4 or 3?
Yes, you can edit the hyph_nl.dic file, just make sure to use a text editor that doesn't alter the encoding of the file. It should be encoded as UTF-8 with unix line endings and no BOM, so don't use Notepad or Wordpad in Windows, use Notepad++ or another unix-aware editor instead.

Also keep in mind that there is a bug in the KEPUB reader that causes the wrong LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN values to be used in KePubs, so if you read both ePubs and KePubs then you won't be able to get the settings you want to work with both.

For example if you set LEFTHYPHENMIN 5 then it will be 5 in ePubs but 4 in KePubs.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #45
outlandos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes, you can edit the hyph_nl.dic file, just make sure to use a text editor that doesn't alter the encoding of the file. It should be encoded as UTF-8 with unix line endings and no BOM, so don't use Notepad or Wordpad in Windows, use Notepad++ or another unix-aware editor instead.

Also keep in mind that there is a bug in the KEPUB reader that causes the wrong LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN values to be used in KePubs, so if you read both ePubs and KePubs then you won't be able to get the settings you want to work with both.

For example if you set LEFTHYPHENMIN 5 then it will be 5 in ePubs but 4 in KePubs.
Thank you. I will try it as soon as i get home from work. I only read KePubs, so I will change the value to 4 then.