Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #31
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't understand the fuss about Bookerly, it's too light for me. I can't use it on either the Fires or my Voyage.
Yep..I like to read bolder fonts. I will never understand why amazon won't put at least one really dark font on their kindle and fire tablets.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #32
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I figured it out. I have dozens of ebooks that supposedly have enhanced typesetting. But in truth, only two actually do.

For example

If you click here you'll clearly see that Bonehunters is supposed to have enhanced typesetting. It does not. It has neither hyphenation at small font sizes nor ragged right justification at large font sizes.

But if you click here you will also see that Prince of Thorns is supposed to have enhanced typesetting. It does. It has both hyphenation at small font sizes and ragged right justification at large font sizes.

I would like clarification on what it actually means to say that enhanced typesetting is enabled. I would like to know if others have plenty of ebooks that are supposed to have the typesetting but do not actually.

This is greatly disappointing. Why couldn't amazon just come up with a simple option in the font menu?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #33
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
You have to delete the books off the kindle and re-download. At least that is what I had to do with 2 I tried. I don't know about ragged right though, I wouldn't like that anyway. It has hyphenation now.
I really thought that would be the answer, but it wasn't. Thanks though.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #34
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I really thought that would be the answer, but it wasn't. Thanks though.
Sorry that didn't work for you. I only tried with 2 books so far myself, taking screenshots each time to see before typesetting and after.
I can tell you that with new typeset the ragged right edge is at size 7 and 8. 1-6 are non ragged.

If I understand the ragged correctly that is.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I figured it out. I have dozens of ebooks that supposedly have enhanced typesetting. But in truth, only two actually do.

For example

If you click here you'll clearly see that Bonehunters is supposed to have enhanced typesetting. It does not. It has neither hyphenation at small font sizes nor ragged right justification at large font sizes.

But if you click here you will also see that Prince of Thorns is supposed to have enhanced typesetting. It does. It has both hyphenation at small font sizes and ragged right justification at large font sizes.

I would like clarification on what it actually means to say that enhanced typesetting is enabled. I would like to know if others have plenty of ebooks that are supposed to have the typesetting but do not actually.

This is greatly disappointing. Why couldn't amazon just come up with a simple option in the font menu?
It seems the list of 'books with enhanced typesetting' is not accurate.

Have we any idea what is actually different (in terms of HTML/CSS) about these books?

Last edited by tomsem; 08-10-2015 at 08:43 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #36
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Removing a book with typesetting enabled from my device and downloading it again does activate the typesetting feature. I check the book on my Voyage and there's no hyphenation. I removed it from the device, download it, and there is the hyphenation.

In checking, most of the books I checked did not have the typesetting feature enabled. That might be because they're older books.

I don't know if Kindle changed the Bookerly fond or not but on my PW3, I had gone back to Helvetica because Bookerly was too light for me. Now, it isn't. Could be changed, could be expectation.

Last edited by patrickt; 08-10-2015 at 09:25 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #37
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My current book says it doesn't have enhanced typesetting enabled but I can't really tell any difference in the way it looks and the way books that do have it enabled look. I also tried downloading a personal doc and it didn't have hyphenation so presumably no enhanced typesetting.

I wonder whether enabling enhanced font isn't what gives hyphenation. Maybe it allows other features such as ligatures. I didn't find ligatures in any of the books so far so I can't be sure.

I think it's too soon to conclude that the list is inaccurate. It may be but I think we have to know more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #38
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Removing a book with typesetting enabled from my device and downloading it again does activate the typesetting feature. I check the book on my Voyage and there's no hyphenation. I removed it from the device, download it, and there is the hyphenation.
It would be interesting to save a copy of a book before and after updating to see what changes internally to enable the enhanced features.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #39
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Sorry that didn't work for you. I only tried with 2 books so far myself, taking screenshots each time to see before typesetting and after.
I can tell you that with new typeset the ragged right edge is at size 7 and 8. 1-6 are non ragged.

If I understand the ragged correctly that is.
I found that too. Left justified at sizes 7-8 and full justified with hyphenation at sizes 1-6.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I don't know if Kindle changed the Bookerly fond or not but on my PW3, I had gone back to Helvetica because Bookerly was too light for me. Now, it isn't. Could be changed, could be expectation.
Hhmmmm, it does look darker. Interesting.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I should have never redownloaded two books. Now I have hyphens, but the narrowest margin setting now looks too wide!!! What the heck is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	140926  

Last edited by SCION; 08-10-2015 at 11:30 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #42
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm with you on this, Caecelia is still a better font to me, it's a bit darker and thicker than Bookerly.
If you install the upgrade, can you still use Caecelia if you want?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #43
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Will the advanced typesetting work on personal documents?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:52 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Of course you can. You can select any font, just as you could before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 AM   #45
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yup--the update just adds Bookerly as another font option--it doesn't replace any of the existing fonts. You will still have the option to use "publisher font" if you want to use a font you've embedded into your book.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote