Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #31
truemarine
truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.truemarine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K4B, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've updated the patch in post #17 to remove italics from the search string and the title displayed in the book details view (reached by long-pressing on the book in the library view and selecting Details from the popup menu.)

Unfortunately I can't find how to remove italics from the items in the pick list that pops up while entering the search string.
Thanks a lot for this patch. In some languages italic is seldom used. So this patch make the UI much more elegant and professional.
truemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #32
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip1314 View Post
I am getting this error when I try to run the .sh in ubuntu. Could you suggest a reason?

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Cleaning up /tmp/patch32lsb_om33A6Kv
flip@flip-MacBookAir:~/Downloads/patch_kobo_3121$

I have confirmed the zip of the update and it is valid. Not sure what else could be the problem.
It seems like something is wrong with unzip. If you run:
Code:
unzip -p kobo-update-3.12.1.zip KoboRoot.tgz | tar tvz
you should get a list of the files in the KoboRoot.tgz.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #33
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
How can I make a Turkish keyboard? Kobo is the most popular reader here, it would help people.
It is just a matter of deciding which existing keys to replace with which Turkish letters. At the moment I am working out the encoding by pasting the letters into a text file and opening the text file with a hex editor to see how each letter is encoded, because I don't understand how to work out the encoding directly. But I will try to make a patch that will allow you to cut and paste the new letters you want directly into the patch file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
is there a way to have both keyboards ?
and have a swift key ?
The Cyrillic, Arabic, and Hebrew keyboard patches are just replacing keys on the extended Latin keypad, only one of these patches can be enabled at a time. The normal Latin keyboard is still there, you have to tap a key to bring up the extended keypad and see the Cyrillic/Arabic/Hebrew letters.

I don't know what a swift key is. The shift key works for Cyrillic letters, but doesn't do anything with Arabic or Hebrew letters.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #34
GeoffR
Wizard

Keyboard patch template

Here is a new Cyrillic keyboard patch that can be used as a template for other languages, to create a custom keypad to replace the extended Latin keypad that appears when you tap the "ÉÀÇ" key.

Note that the keyboard layout on the Aura HD/H2O is different than on other devices:

For the Aura HD/H2O this patch can replace the 34 letters on the second, third and bottom rows, but not the numerals on the top row.

For the Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura the keys that appear at the left of the second and third rows of the Aura HD/H2O keypad have moved to the top row, and there are 7 more keys that can be replaced on the top row, along with a duplicate "ł" key (Latin small letter L with stroke) that appears both on the top and bottom row.

Firmware 3.12.1 (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Cyrillic keyboard`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Enable uppercase for `ß` key
replace_bytes = 90726C, 00 24, 01 24
# Replace layout sign
replace_string = D6C4f8, `ÉÀÇ`, `абв`
# Change keyboard layout
base_address = D6C418
# Second row, left to right:
# (for Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura the first key moves to top row, first column.)
replace_string = 0000, `æ\0`, `й`
replace_string = 0004, `à\0`, `ц`
replace_string = 0008, `è\0`, `у`
replace_string = 000C, `ì\0`, `к`
replace_string = 0010, `ò\0`, `е`
replace_string = 0014, `ù\0`, `н`
replace_string = 0018, `á\0`, `г`
replace_string = 001C, `é\0`, `ш`
replace_string = 0020, `í\0`, `щ`
replace_string = 0024, `ó\0`, `з`
replace_string = 0028, `ú\0`, `х`
replace_string = 002C, `ý\0`, `ъ`
# Third row, left to right:
# (for Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura the first key moves to top row, second column.)
replace_string = 0030, `œ\0`, `ф`
replace_string = 0034, `â\0`, `ы`
replace_string = 0038, `ê\0`, `в`
replace_string = 003C, `î\0`, `а`
replace_string = 0040, `ô\0`, `п`
replace_string = 0044, `û\0`, `р`
replace_string = 0048, `ä\0`, `о`
replace_string = 004C, `ë\0`, `л`
replace_string = 0050, `ï\0`, `д`
replace_string = 0054, `ö\0`, `ж`
replace_string = 0058, `ü\0`, `э`
replace_string = 005C, `ÿ\0`, `ё`
# Bottom row, left to right:
replace_string = 0060, `ã\0`, `я`
replace_string = 0064, `ñ\0`, `ч`
replace_string = 0068, `õ\0`, `с`
replace_string = 006C, `å\0`, `м`
replace_string = 0070, `ß\0`, `и`
replace_string = 0074, `ç\0`, `т`
replace_string = 0078, `đ\0`, `ь`
replace_string = 007C, `ø\0`, `б`
replace_string = 0080, `ij\0`, `ю`
replace_string = 0084, `ł\0`, `.`
#
# Top row: Extra keys for Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura only.
# (This patch cannot change the top row of the AuraHD/H2O keypad.)
base_address = D6E8E4
# Top row: columns 1-2 (see first key of second/third rows above.)
# Top row: columns 3-5
replace_string = 0004, `þ\0`, `!`
replace_string = 0008, `š\0`, `"`
replace_string = 000C, `ž\0`, `?`
# Top row: column 6 is a duplicate of the last key on the bottom row.
# Top row: columns 7-10
replace_string = 0000, `ƒ\0`, `,`
replace_string = 0010, `μ\0`, `(`
replace_string = 0014, `ª\0`, `)`
replace_string = 0018, `º\0`, `-`
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-20-2015 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Updated patch and comments about different layout on Aura HD/H2O
Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #35
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Here is a version of the Cyrillic keyboard patch that doesn't require the letters to be coded as hex bytes. You can use it to create your own keyboard patches by replacing the Cyrillic letters with any other UTF-8 letter. Tap the "ÉÀÇ" key on your Kobo keyboard to see the letters that are being replaced. (Use lowercase letters in the patch, the shift key will use the appropriate uppercase letter automatically if one exists.)

Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Cyrillic keyboard (template)`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Enable uppercase for `ß` key
replace_bytes = 90726C, 00 24, 01 24
# Replace layout sign
replace_string = D6C4F8, `ÉÀÇ`, `абв`
# Change keyboard layout
base_address = D6C418
# Top row
replace_string = 0000, `æ\0`, `й`
replace_string = 0030, `œ\0`, `ф`
# Second row
replace_string = 0004, `à\0`, `ц`
replace_string = 0008, `è\0`, `у`
replace_string = 000C, `ì\0`, `к`
replace_string = 0010, `ò\0`, `е`
replace_string = 0014, `ù\0`, `н`
replace_string = 0018, `á\0`, `г`
replace_string = 001C, `é\0`, `ш`
replace_string = 0020, `í\0`, `щ`
replace_string = 0024, `ó\0`, `з`
replace_string = 0028, `ú\0`, `х`
replace_string = 002C, `ý\0`, `ъ`
# Third row
replace_string = 0034, `â\0`, `ы`
replace_string = 0038, `ê\0`, `в`
replace_string = 003C, `î\0`, `а`
replace_string = 0040, `ô\0`, `п`
replace_string = 0044, `û\0`, `р`
replace_string = 0048, `ä\0`, `о`
replace_string = 004C, `ë\0`, `л`
replace_string = 0050, `ï\0`, `д`
replace_string = 0054, `ö\0`, `ж`
replace_string = 0058, `ü\0`, `э`
replace_string = 005C, `ÿ\0`, `ё`
# Bottom row
replace_string = 0060, `ã\0`, `я`
replace_string = 0064, `ñ\0`, `ч`
replace_string = 0068, `õ\0`, `с`
replace_string = 006C, `å\0`, `м`
replace_string = 0070, `ß\0`, `и`
replace_string = 0074, `ç\0`, `т`
replace_string = 0078, `đ\0`, `ь`
replace_string = 007C, `ø\0`, `б`
replace_string = 0080, `ij\0`, `ю`
replace_string = 0084, `ł\0`, `.`
</Patch>
Hi
Thank you GeoffR
I really appreciate you work
I build a Persian Keyboard by your patch with unicode characters
change "ÉÀÇ" to "FA/EN" for change keyboards, but I miss some Persian characters there is no other place to put it.

can I somehow make shift key to do something and give me other empty places to put other characters?

Persian and Arabic have a lot of vowel characters.

Last edited by barobach_so; 02-20-2015 at 12:15 PM.
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #36
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Quote:
Before starting:

hi
maybe this question looks silly
but my builded dictionary in kobo rollback to original one after this patching

i patch my kobo to have custom Persian keyboard and made an English to Persian and a Persian to English dic and replace them with en-pr and pr-en ( portogees ) on kobo in dict folder

but every time i connect to net the dictionaries rollback to the original ones ( portogees to English and En to pr )

had not this problem before patching [ that time I had only English to Persian dic cause I dont have other keyboayd ]
Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
hi
maybe this question looks silly
but my builded dictionary in kobo rollback to original one after this patching

i patch my kobo to have custom Persian keyboard and made an English to Persian and a Persian to English dic and replace them with en-pr and pr-en ( portogees ) on kobo in dict folder

but every time i connect to net the dictionaries rollback to the original ones ( portogees to English and En to pr )

had not this problem before patching [ that time I had only English to Persian dic cause I dont have other keyboayd ]
I don't believe the Patcher causes this problem. It's a known problem that connecting to Kobo via wi-fi causes non-stock dictionaries to be overwritten. However, if you read posts #18 & #19 in this very thread there's a potential patch fix discussed. I haven't tried it myself, though.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #38
barobach_so
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't believe the Patcher causes this problem. It's a known problem that connecting to Kobo via wi-fi causes non-stock dictionaries to be overwritten. However, if you read posts #18 & #19 in this very thread there's a potential patch fix discussed. I haven't tried it myself, though.

hi

the patch in post #19 didn't work for me
there is no more dictionary on Kobo by this each time I install one by downloading it disapears.

how about this method here ?

unzip koboroot.gz in windows go to etc\init.d edit rcS by notepad++ and add the code there

build a folder "customdic" on kobo and
zip KoboRoot again and transfer to .kobo ?

any idea?

or disable syncing in settings ?

Last edited by barobach_so; 02-22-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #39
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
can I somehow make shift key to do something and give me other empty places to put other characters?
I don't think that is possible, the shift key doesn't display a seperate keypad, but just toggles the case of the keys on the current keypad. So if the language doesn't have upper and lower case then the shift key has no effect.

I will look for how to change the remaining keys on the top row when I get a chance, which will allow a few more letters to be added.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #40
GeoffR
Wizard

Improved `KePub zero body margin/padding` patch.

I've updated the `KePub zero body margin/padding` patch in post #27. (This patch fixes the problem with some kepubs in full-screen reading mode where the text is shifted to the right and cut off at the right margin.) The new patch fixes the problem in full-screen mode, but unlike the old patch it doesn't prevent the margins being changed in normal reading mode.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #41
barobach_so
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't think that is possible, the shift key doesn't display a seperate keypad, but just toggles the case of the keys on the current keypad. So if the language doesn't have upper and lower case then the shift key has no effect.

I will look for how to change the remaining keys on the top row when I get a chance, which will allow a few more letters to be added.
thank you very much
Old 02-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #42
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
I've updated the `KePub zero body margin/padding` patch in post #27. (This patch fixes the problem with some kepubs in full-screen reading mode where the text is shifted to the right and cut off at the right margin.) The new patch fixes the problem in full-screen mode, but unlike the old patch it doesn't prevent the margins being changed in normal reading mode.
Until now,I didn't use one of your patches, only the "normal" 3.11.0 but I just want to say that you are a great person that tries to help everyone with specific patches.
I just hope everyone realises that when 3.14.0 will be out,they all have to be done again.
So just don't upgrade until your new patch is there, if Geoff is ready.
Maybe someone with elevated skills can help with maintaining the patches, it is a great collection now to do it,and with every 1,5 or 2 months that Kobo releases a new firmware, it has to be done again.
Therefor, behalf of everyone dear GeoffR !

Last edited by Nick_1964; 02-23-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: used 3.13 for future update, must be 3.14, changed
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would we be seeing 3.13.0 when 3.13.1 was just released?

Yes, I agree. Thank you for the patches GeoffR.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-23-2015 at 09:42 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #44
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Oops, must be 3.14 (if they don't skip numbers) I will change it,thank you.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #45
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

YES! Totally agreed. That's the big thanks that GeoffR deserve!
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote