Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #31
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need a machine running Windows, Internet Explorer, and an "Activated" copy of Microsoft Reader in order to download the Microsoft Reader files. Then, to remove the DRM and convert to Open eBook (OEB) format you use "ConvertLIT" (Google for it -- it's free). Finally, to convert OEB to MobiPocket you use the free MobiPocket Creator software. The whole process takes about 30 seconds - it really couldn't be easier.
Thanks!

That really opens up my experience at FW.

So to speak.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #32
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Do you have any examples in mind of books which are cheaper for the Kindle than for other devices?
Sure, here's a few books I've looked at recently. Some I've bought, some I got free (thank you Tor ) and some I don't have yet. All were cheaper at Amazon than at Mobipocket, Sony, or Fictionwise, that's even giving Fictionwise the benefit of their store-credit rebate. Without the rebate Fictionwise is generally the same price as Mobipocket

Obviously I haven't looked at available books or at all possible permutations for devices and formats, but for those that I'm interested in, the Kindle seems to always have them cheaper. Also, I'm not a Fictionwise club member, I'd have to go through and check prices again for that.

Edit: Ick, Fictionwise club membership run $30 for 1 year -- pass.

N/A = Not available.

Title Amazon, Mobipocket, Fictionwise, Sony
"Small Favor" $9.99, $23.95, $19.16, $14.37
"The Lies of Locke Lamora" $5.59, $6.99, $6.29, $6.64
"Mistborn" $7,99, $14.00, $11.90, N/A
"Writing Tools" $7.19, $8.99, $8.09, N/A
"American Gods" $6.39, $7.99, $7.19, $7,19
"Anansi Boys" $6.39, $7.99, $7.19, $7.19
"Neverwhere" $5.59, $6.99, $6.29, $6.64
"Bears Discover Fire" $5.59, $6.99, $5.94, N/A
"Darwin's Radio" $5.59, $6.99, $6.29, $6.64 -- Amazon & Sony bundle this with its sequel for the same price.

Last edited by carld; 08-09-2008 at 12:43 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #33
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
My device of choice is a Sony 505 Reader. I simply wanted something that would take the place of carrying real leisure books around. The e-ink on the major devices (Reader, Kindle, Cybook, Hanlin) are most paper-like and far easier on the eyes for long reading sessions than any active display.

I like the Sony because it acts like a book--instant on, goes anywhere, long battery life (2+ weeks--I did *not* want another device that would require daily charging and die while I was using it!). Plus, it easily stores over 100 books even without memory cards.

I didn't need or want a keyboard, dictionary lookup, wifi, etc. I never use these things when I'm simply reading a book,and I already have a laptop and blackberry!

The Sony is very thin, smart looking, and well built. Most of all, I read a lot more with it than I had been. As for DRM, it isn't a major factor for me. I've bought a few books/bundles from Sony's store, but have found tons and tons of free ebooks online and have discovered several new writers. Plus, loading rtf or other files is easy, and it handles pdf very well now. (Note that I love to *read* books, and am not hung upon having lots of pictures and tables and comic books, etc.--just text.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Title Amazon, Mobipocket, Fictionwise, Sony
"Small Favor" $9.99, $23.95, $19.16, $14.37
"The Lies of Locke Lamora" $5.59, $6.99, $6.29, $6.64
"Mistborn" $7,99, $14.00, $11.90, N/A
"Writing Tools" $7.19, $8.99, $8.09, N/A
"American Gods" $6.39, $7.99, $7.19, $7,19
"Anansi Boys" $6.39, $7.99, $7.19, $7.19
"Neverwhere" $5.59, $6.99, $6.29, $6.64
"Bears Discover Fire" $5.59, $6.99, $5.94, N/A
"Darwin's Radio" $5.59, $6.99, $6.29, $6.64 -- Amazon & Sony bundle this with its sequel for the same price.
Thanks, Carl,

What you've posted there illustrates what I was saying.

Two books ("Small Favor" and "Mistborn") on your list are certainly cheaper at Amazon at the moment, but I'm sure their prices will fall at the other sites within days - when there are discrepencies like that, the publisher generally adjusts them quickly.

All the others are slightly cheaper with the FW club price than at Amazon. Eg,

"The Lies of Locke Lamora": $5.59 at Amazon, $5.35 at FW.
"American Gods": $6.39 at Amazon, $6.11 at FW.
"Neverwhere": $5.59 at Amazon, $5.35 at FW.

They are, as you see, the same within pennies. If you shop regularly at either store, you'll pay pretty similar prices, with the odd exception.

Thanks for the list!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #35
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Carl,

What you've posted there illustrates what I was saying.

Two books ("Small Favor" and "Mistborn") on your list are certainly cheaper at Amazon at the moment, but I'm sure their prices will fall at the other sites within days - when there are discrepencies like that, the publisher generally adjusts them quickly.

All the others are slightly cheaper with the FW club price than at Amazon. Eg,

"The Lies of Locke Lamora": $5.59 at Amazon, $5.35 at FW.
"American Gods": $6.39 at Amazon, $6.11 at FW.
"Neverwhere": $5.59 at Amazon, $5.35 at FW.

They are, as you see, the same within pennies. If you shop regularly at either store, you'll pay pretty similar prices, with the odd exception.

Thanks for the list!
Remember you need to factor in the $30 a year (assorted price breaks appy), for Fictionwise club membership. At about a $.20 to $.30 difference per book, you'd have to buy an awful lot of books to make up that membership fee and benefit from FW's lower club prices vs. Amazon.

I also don't really care for FW's rebates, honestly. I'd really rather just have lower prices on books. For someone like me who doesn't buy a lot of books at Fictionwise (have bought a few), and who doesn't have a FW membership the prices aren't really any better than Mobipocket.

Now, if FW were to drop the membership fee, and the rebates and actually offer lower prices I'd be all over it. And, they do have a good selection of books. I sometimes find things I'm interested in there, that I don't find at Amazon.
Advert
Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That $30, though, includes one free book, so (if you choose the right book) that immediately gets the majority of your $30 back. Remember too that for most of us it's not a question of FW vs. Amazon because we can't buy eBooks at Amazon, so it's not a matter of "FW or Amazon", but "FW's club price vs non-club price". In those terms, it represents excellent value for money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #37
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
My choice is the original Sony PRS-500. I like the feel of the unit, the styling, and the key placement. While the 505 does have a better screen, it was not "better enough" to motivate me to upgrade, even with the recent trade-in offer. Nor did I feel like selling the 500 and buying the 505 (as several MR members did when it first came out.) It has enough space on the internal memory for a good selection of books and it is expandable through add-in flash memory. In short, the readers are very close to each other, the price for books is very close, and all will give you a great reading experience. For me it comes down to the way it feels in your hands. Like a camera, it may be superior technically; but, if it is awkward in your hands it will not perform well. Some of the threads in the Lounge talk of Meet-ups around the world, if you can go to one. There are other threads that talk about demonstrations of the devices, if possible go to one of these. Touch, feel, turn a page or two. This is the best way to tell which device is right for you.

I looked at the selection of materials available at Fictionwise, sampled a few, and paid the club fee. It was a great decision. I have saved more than the price of membership over the past year. One of the items not available anywhere else is a magazine subscription to Analog. Plus Fictionwise uses calibre to format their LRF books for the Sony.

Additionally, I use BookDesigner and calibre to format my own books. Many of these have been posted to the MobileRead download section for use by others. (Harry started the ball rolling with a beautiful Sherlock Holmes Omnibus that is now available in both Sony LRF and Mobipocket PRC formats. Patricia, Dr Dribb, the Madam, and a host of other people that I should mention have also contributed great books that are available for free.) None of the books currently on my reader are DRM.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #38
greywolfmccoy
greywolfmccoy began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100
i still love my REB 1100 but i also use a PSP to read with the converting software for it was free and works really well, it converts txt to jpeg at the font size you like
its called "psp ebook creator" just google it and you'll find it.
the only drawback with this is remembering what page you were on when you shut it off.
the new asus EEE palm computer with an 8.9 screen looks like the best value out there for an all around reader and personal pc
greywolfmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #39
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
My device of choice is a Sony 505 Reader. I simply wanted something that would take the place of carrying real leisure books around. The e-ink on the major devices (Reader, Kindle, Cybook, Hanlin) are most paper-like and far easier on the eyes for long reading sessions than any active display.

I like the Sony because it acts like a book--instant on, goes anywhere, long battery life (2+ weeks--I did *not* want another device that would require daily charging and die while I was using it!). Plus, it easily stores over 100 books even without memory cards.

I didn't need or want a keyboard, dictionary lookup, wifi, etc. I never use these things when I'm simply reading a book,and I already have a laptop and blackberry!

The Sony is very thin, smart looking, and well built. Most of all, I read a lot more with it than I had been. As for DRM, it isn't a major factor for me. I've bought a few books/bundles from Sony's store, but have found tons and tons of free ebooks online and have discovered several new writers. Plus, loading rtf or other files is easy, and it handles pdf very well now. (Note that I love to *read* books, and am not hung upon having lots of pictures and tables and comic books, etc.--just text.)
I love to read books too and agree with most of this but comic books work very well on the reader now (possibly have for a while?) too I don't have much of a use for tables either, but comics and embedded images work very well in my experience.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #40
carld
Wizard

Quote:
That $30, though, includes one free book, so (if you choose the right book) that immediately gets the majority of your $30 back. Remember too that for most of us it's not a question of FW vs. Amazon because we can't buy eBooks at Amazon, so it's not a matter of "FW or Amazon", but "FW's club price vs non-club price". In those terms, it represents excellent value for money.
But that wasn't the original question. My assertion was that Amazon's Kindle had the cheapest ebooks. I was asked for examples, I supplied them. Now whether my assertion is entirely true or not probably depends on how one defines "cheapest". To me the Kindle books are cheaper over all as there's no membership fee, nor are there store-credit rebates like with FW.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #41
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I purchased the iRex Iliad. Its biggest negative is the cost and battery drain. I purchased this reader because you can create folders or directories in it. It has a larger screen, larger memory card and you can easily take notes on it.

Last edited by timezone; 08-15-2008 at 01:39 PM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #42
akeserla
akeserla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, BeBook
I have a lot of pdf's that I would like to take on the road. I dont want to lug my heavy technical books. Finally Bebook is what I settled.

As you may have seen on this forum there is an email referral. Apply this email for a 25€ (38$ approx) nastyninja@gmail.com

Good luck
akeserla is offline   Reply With Quote