Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #31
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Ebooks are my overwhelming choice. Audiobooks are only used when my eyes refuse to cooperate. Difficult for me to listen to a book.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I don't like audiobooks at all. However, it is the only way my husband will "read," so he has some for the car. I'm to inept when I drive to be listening to anything except others honking. (And don't get me started on phone calls while driving - if I didn't order the pizza while the car was still parked, then I'll just have to pull over and call. Mine or another person's life is more important than pizza!!!!)

That being said, I'm happy to report my eye surgery was great and I already read Mistborn since the procedure. However, the eye disease is ongoing and sooner or later, I'll have to switch to audiobooks. Hopefully not for another couple of decades!

It is a joy to read with both eyes again.
Glad to head the surgery went well. Here's hoping you beat the odds and have a long life with no further major eye problems.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I buy a lot of audiobook lecture series from The Teaching Company. The lectures are 30 minutes long, so they fit in perfectly with commuting. On longer journeys, I listen to fiction audiobooks.
The Teaching Company! One of the best reasons to own an MP3 player (or a DVD player, or a cassette player, or a VHS player)! If there's anyone here who hasn't heard of them, do yourself a favor and check out their website.

Plus, you can load their course syllabuses onto your e-reader to backup your audio learning!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #34
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I love both audio books and e-books. I've been a member of audible.com since 2001--and have lots of books from them. Lately, I've also been downloading a lot of different audio books from my local library.

Like others, I listen to audio books during my commute,exercising, and when doing housework, etc. I also listen to them when I'm in bed--I set the sleep timer on my mp3 player for 15 minutes, and usually fall asleep before the book stops playing. by setting the sleep timer, I only have to go back a few minutes in the book to find my place.

I also really enjoy reading--and love my new Sony 505. I do find reading when waiting in line much better than listening--it's much easier to deal with interruptions, and people seem to interrupt less when I'm reading as opposed to listening.

I'd hate to have to choose between the two, as both are vastly different experiences for me. I really do enjoy curling up with a good book, but listening can give me just as much pleasure.

dordale
Okay you use a sleep timer; what MP3 player is it? I desperately need to fix my Ipod Nano sleep timer

My smiley face was suppose to be sad, not mad. Sorry.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #35
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I like em both.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #36
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
So do I. Audio books are great for when I am busy doing mindless tasks and ebooks are great for when you just want to sit down with a good book and get lost in it.

At this point in time, if anything happens to either my Zune (mp3 player) or my Kindle, I might just have a major meltdown.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #37
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
I prefer reading books in general, as I like to stop and think as I read. But every now and then there is an audiobook gem. One time when I had a very long drive for work, I picked up an unabridged version of "The DaVinci Code" to listen to on the way. I have to say that the reader was absolutely captivating, and had wonderful voices for each character.

After the 5.5 hour drive, I sat in the car outside the hotel listening for 20 minutes to let the current CD finish up before I could tear myself away.
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #38
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I don't even conciser an audio book to be a book, and don't consume them at all.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I don't even conciser an audio book to be a book, and don't consume them at all.
Perhaps you haven't tried listening to any good ones? You're right, it is a completely different experience to reading, but can be equally rewarding, with a good reader (human reader, I mean - the person who's reading the book). As I said in an earlier post, I listen to them on my way to and from work; that's about an hour and a half a day that would otherwise be "wasted", since I obviously couldn't read a book while driving!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #40
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I feel bad for the narrator, esp if it is a long book, worse if it is a bad book. Must be depressingly tiring to read every single word. I can sense the tiredness in the voice and sometimes the narrator's voice can get a little hoarse. That gets in the way of my enjoyment of an audiobook. As I said, I'm not complaining. I just feel awfully sorry for the reader.

So, ebooks for me.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I feel bad for the narrator, esp if it is a long book, worse if it is a bad book. Must be depressingly tiring to read every single word. I can sense the tiredness in the voice and sometimes the narrator's voice can get a little hoarse. That gets in the way of my enjoyment of an audiobook. As I said, I'm not complaining. I just feel awfully sorry for the reader.

So, ebooks for me.
That's why audiobooks are generally narrated by professional actors, who are used to "speaking for a living" regardless of their personal enjoyment or otherwise of the subject matter. Sounds as though you've come across some very poor examples.

A friend of mine, a British TV actress by profession, has a nice sideline in narrating audiobooks while she's "between" acting jobs. She's narrated several hundred of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's why audiobooks are generally narrated by professional actors, who are used to "speaking for a living" regardless of their personal enjoyment or otherwise of the subject matter. Sounds as though you've come across some very poor examples.

A friend of mine, a British TV actress by profession, has a nice sideline in narrating audiobooks while she's "between" acting jobs. She's narrated several hundred of them.
Or they may come across one of the many books that are read by the author. The personal aspect can be a nice touch, but simply because someone is a first-rate author doesn't mean they also have a talent for narration or the ability to endure long speaking sessions.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #43
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
E-books. It's hard to underline and take notes in an audiobook.
Tricky, but not impossible. My audiobook player supports highlighted bookmarks (the audio equivalent of underlining) and voice notes. I can mark a passage, record a voice note, and then play back both the passage and my voice note later.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Tricky, but not impossible. My audiobook player supports highlighted bookmarks (the audio equivalent of underlining) and voice notes. I can mark a passage, record a voice note, and then play back both the passage and my voice note later.
What kind of audiobook player do you have? Those are nice features!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #45
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What kind of audiobook player do you have? Those are nice features!
It's an audiobook player specifically designed for blind and dyslexic people, but I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who listens to a lot of spoken word material (audiobooks, podcasts, Teaching Company lectures, etc.) My favorite feature is variable speed playback, which allows me to speed up or slow down the playback without distorting pitch.

http://www.humanware.com/en-usa/prod...daisy_mp3.html

It plays a bunch of formats (including Audible) and also does text-to-speech.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote