Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you own an Amazon Kindle and how many Amazon books have you purchased for it?
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased no books for it. 6 5.45%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 1 to 20 books for it 17 15.45%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 21 to 40 books for it 5 4.55%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 41 to 60 books for it 2 1.82%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 61 to 80 books for it. 3 2.73%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 81 to 100 books for it. 2 1.82%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 101 to 200 books for it. 11 10.00%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 201 to 1,000 books for it 35 31.82%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased over 1,000 books for it. 21 19.09%
Do not own an Amazon Kindle. 8 7.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #31
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I also think that one reads fiction much faster than non-fiction. At least, I do. If I read fiction, I just read the story, but if reading non-fiction, I actually study it.
True!

It takes me way more to read an IT related book that a novel; sometimes months, even a half year if the book is really thick and complex. This is because I need to fully digest, and some time test, what's written there.

I have two MS-SQL books that are about 1k pages each one. It is really deceiving having them on my Kindle or iPad though, as they weight way less, lol ...
Old 01-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #32
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Agreed !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I also think that one reads fiction much faster than non-fiction. At least, I do. If I read fiction, I just read the story, but if reading non-fiction, I actually study it.
There is no question that I can read fiction far faster than non-fiction. I occasionally read an historical fiction book and glide right through it. Plus, the few historical fiction books I read are a lot cheaper than the history books I read. Finally, the historical fiction books tend to have less pages than the history books which are usually extended studies by professional historians.

With the history books I go back and re-read many pages of that book to better grasp what is happening and to highlight and insert my notes. I never do that with fiction books.

The history books are filled with many footnotes demonstrating the years of research the author usually took to write the book. I've rarely seen footnotes in fiction books.

Many of those historical books are required reading for college students so the publisher can get away with charging more than for fiction books as well.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-10-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've bought 138 books from Amazon, with a maximum price of $10.92, a minimum of $0.30, a median of $1.49 and a mode of $1.49 (51/138).

But I've bought over 2,300 ebooks all in all. And yes, since that's probably around $7000 worth of books, I intended to keep them carefully! ($3/book is a more realistic average for me than $10!)
Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And yes, since that's probably around $7000 worth of books...
Haven't you been buying ebooks for at least since Baen started out? That would make it 15 years, or $467 a year.

Compare that to someone buying a new fully decked out Yamaha Tyros 5 keyboard, at €4500 ($6147), which feels "old hat" after 3-5 years (to many players, because 3 new versions are out by then, at least), and suddenly buying those ebooks looks cheap in comparison.

I don't even want to compare it to someone buying a new digital Hammond B3 organ, or a high-end Roland, Lowry or Wersi. For the price these things cost new, you could buy a fairly large car.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-10-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #35
Beezie Maddox
Beezie Maddox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 1; basic Kindle 4; Nook ST
I don't think I've paid for more than 40, but I have over 2,000 "freebies" in my cloud.

I'm not a saint, but I will take the time to look for DRM-free .pdfs or buy directly from the author's site if possible. Most of what I buy from Amazon is nonfiction that I can't find elsewhere and that would not be relevant if I wait until i can find it used.

I originally bought my Kindle to read an eBook that was not available in print.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #36
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have paid for over 1000 kindle books. And a few from other places.
But then I also have had a kindle since 2008 and I read a lot. I haven't read all of them yet though. I also acquired a few freebies in those years. There were some great freebies back in the days.
Now its so flooded that I don't really spend much time anymore looking.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru
Three people have voted they purchased over 1,000 eBooks from Amazon. That is quite an investment. At an average price of $ 10.00 per eBook, that averages out to more than $ 10,000. Those folks have got to be very wealthy.
I can't speak for the others but I'm not wealthy though I have got 5941 books from Amazon according to my page. Most of them were offered for free at the time I bought them and for those I did buy that weren't free it was at a price between .99 and $2.99 for most of them.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #38
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
My most expensive book was the Song of Ice and Fire bundle for $29.99 and of course my cheapest were my free books. On average the majority of the books I buy are between $.99 and $9.99. Depending on genre and size of book, I will not pay up to the $9.99, except for favorite authors and must haves on release day. Lately I have been borrowing the popular ones from Overdrive until the price drops, and then I buy them at the lowered price. I purchase $60 in gift certificates a month, and this is what I use as my budget for my literary habit.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #39
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Kindle Keyboard (then called K3)
Kindle Fire (1st Generation)
Kindle Paperwhite 2

1,232 books purchased since 2011.

My most expensive was a $62.77 e-textbook.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #40
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yep. That's the problem. There's *many* things you don't realize. You seem to think that *everybody* reads like and what you do and then you try to fit us all into your worldview.

I'd suggest you just read your 12 books/year and stop worrying about the rest of us.
Hadn't you noticed, he is trying to be sociable.

Give it a rest.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #41
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
My book list shows 142 books, I paid for 2 or 3 of them. The rest were free or borrowed from my local library.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #42
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have over 7,000 Kindle ebooks, both fiction and nonfiction. I have purchased quite a few, but most were freebies.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #43
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Personally, I don't tend to get many freebies on my device as my unread list on my kindle tends to creep upwards every time they do another sale or if I spot a random reduction on the kindle edition of a book I already own in paper version.

I have got about 320 books in total from amazon and I would doubt if they averaged much over £3 a book as it is very rare for me to pay more than £5 for a single book.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Kindle Keyboard (then called K3)
Kindle Fire (1st Generation)
Kindle Paperwhite 2

1,232 books purchased since 2011.

My most expensive was a $62.77 e-textbook.
Wow. I'd hate to guess what it cost in paper. Text books can be expensive though I'm guessing no matter what the media.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Wow. I'd hate to guess what it cost in paper. Text books can be expensive though I'm guessing no matter what the media.
Yes, especially when the professors demand you buy the latest edition of the textbook they wrote, and they update them almost every year. So much for used textbooks! At least that is how it was when I was in grad school in the 1980s. Insanely expensive!

Closed Thread