Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #31
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
I'm 55. The first SF book I read at 13 was City and the Stars. The first e-book I bought for my 505 was City and the Stars. I know everyone points at 2001 but for me, it is the best book he wrote and my favorite. Clarke, Bradbury, Heinlein and Asimov are the best of the best.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #32
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
I'm 55. The first SF book I read at 13 was City and the Stars. The first e-book I bought for my 505 was City and the Stars. I know everyone points at 2001 but for me, it is the best book he wrote and my favorite. Clarke, Bradbury, Heinlein and Asimov are the best of the best.

I think 2001 is so popular because
of the movie
I think City and the Stars
is his best novel by far
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Saturday 22 March 2008

British science-fiction writer Sir Arthur C Clarke has been buried in his adopted country of Sri Lanka.

Music from the film 2001: A Space Odyssey was played at the funeral and members of the family which had adopted him cried as his coffin was lowered.

"Here lies Arthur C Clarke. He never grew up and did not stop growing," his gravestone in Colombo is to read, in accordance with the author's wishes.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
blayman
ebook fanatic
blayman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What a sad day, he was a visionary as 2001 has demonstrated. He will be missed. 2001 the movie was a hugh leap forward for its day. Just compare it to any other sci-fi at that time.
blayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #35
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post

Another of the great ones gone
The City and the Stars turned me on to sci-fi
Rendez-vous With Rama is one of my
favorite first contact novels
Thanx Mr Clarke
You'll be missed
two of my favorites as well. very sad.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I remember reading "Rendezvous with Rama" as a teenager and being absolutely "blown away" by it. I still think it's one of the best "first contact" novels around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #37
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post

Another of the great ones gone
The City and the Stars turned me on to sci-fi
Rendez-vous With Rama is one of my
favorite first contact novels
Thanx Mr Clarke
You'll be missed
I purchased The City and the Stars/The Sands of Mars this week-end to read in honor of his memory.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 AM   #38
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: palm tx
to sir, with love and much respect.
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #39
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Same here with "Rendezvous with Rama". Here's hoping that the upcoming film version does it justice.

I had the chance to join a chat with Sir Clarke many years ago with a group over satellite. Something I'll never forget.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #40
mazzeltjes
Addict

The trailer looks oke
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2Yt1ATm4c
it might make a fitting memorial
Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #41
sea2stars
Zealot

Ah.. I believe that teaser was a student film done back in 2003.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #42
mazzeltjes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
Ah.. I believe that teaser was a student film done back in 2003.
whats that assumption based on ?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #43
sea2stars
Zealot

If you read through the Youtube comments, and checking out IMBD.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #44
mazzeltjes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
If you read through the Youtube comments, and checking out IMBD.

I always forget about that place
Old 03-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm soon going to start reading Time's Eye. Fictionwise has a 50% micropay rebate on all Arthur C. Clarke eBooks which is a good deal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote