Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #31
Vormulac
Vormulac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle 3G
Page turns are indeed about the same speed, but pretty much everything else is a lot slower on the KT, not to mention the fact it can take several attempts to turn a page on the KT, thus my comment about the touchscreen (although accidental page turns are less likely than on the Kindle). If they use the same processor then someone in the Kobo Secret Command Bunker needs to feed a few coders to the piranhas to get the rest to up their game.
Vormulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormulac View Post
Page turns are indeed about the same speed, but pretty much everything else is a lot slower on the KT, not to mention the fact it can take several attempts to turn a page on the KT, thus my comment about the touchscreen (although accidental page turns are less likely than on the Kindle).
I recently replaced my Touch because the micro-sd port had stopped working. On my new Touch I have to tap twice fairly often. On my original Touch, this was never an issue. I can't figure out how that kind of thing happens--how something is a problem on one, but not on another, but it sure seems to happen.

Whilst I was Touch-less, I used my Kobo WiFi. The difference between the two was pretty astounding. The WiFi still was pleasant to use, but side-by-side for speed and clarity there was a huge difference.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #33
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't own a Kobo but have played with the display models of the WiFi and the Touch side-by-side a few times, the Touch feels lightning fast compared to the WiFi. The WiFi model put me right off buying a Kobo, but the Touch made me think "oooh that's pretty good actually"!

Although I haven't yet compared the Kindle Touch to the Kobo Touch in the flesh, apart from the battery life on the Kindle maybe being slightly better, and ditto to AnemicOak's comments about perceiving the Kobo to be a bit more flakey than the Kindle, there doesn't seem much to choose between the two.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #34
Vormulac
Vormulac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I don't own a Kobo but have played with the display models of the WiFi and the Touch side-by-side a few times, the Touch feels lightning fast compared to the WiFi. The WiFi model put me right off buying a Kobo, but the Touch made me think "oooh that's pretty good actually"!
Definitely, and the Kobo Wifi felt very poor next to the Touch especially with that vague squidgy button to control it with. £10 more for the Touch was a no brainer!
Vormulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #35
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Is there a new Kobo on the horizon?

Well, it's May and the Kobo Touch is discounted to $99 at Indigo. Does this mean a new device is about to be announced? Seems to be their MO. If there is a new ereader coming, what features could it possibly have that are not already implemented on the KT?
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #36
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
2 Possible features could be:

Flexlight
colour eInk
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think it's years until we see a good color eInk device. Glolight is a possibility though.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #38
armanos
armanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
To be honest I don't really see the need for a colour eReader at the moment. Unless the screens are going to increase from the average sizes of 7" to something larger (to accommodate for colour publications such as magazines or comics), there isn't really a demand, as most books are predominantly text, and magazines and comics (which require colour) don't really read that well on 7" screens.
armanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #39
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
As a note on eInk colour screens, here's an interesting review on an eReader with one. Let's just say, I hope the new Kobo, if one is coming out, has a flexlight but skips the colour eInk screen this time around.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #40
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
As a note on eInk colour screens, here's an interesting review on an eReader with one. Let's just say, I hope the new Kobo, if one is coming out, has a flexlight but skips the colour eInk screen this time around.
The article says that it costs $500 dollars, I think we need to see some cheaper models before Kobo comes out with one.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #41
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I am wondering if the colour technology is targeting more advertising and more $$$ for the makers of these e-Readers from the adverts? Adverts look more appealing in colour than in black and grey.
For me, I like the e-Ink on my KT the way it is and I have a great reading light that I can angle perfectly without glare.
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #42
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
If Kobo wanted to release a new ereader with a more accurate name, they could call it the Kobo Bug.
readingwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #43
Dinghy
Monkfish
Dinghy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch or Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingwonder View Post
If Kobo wanted to release a new ereader with a more accurate name, they could call it the Kobo Bug.
I have a Kobo touch - no issues with it whatsoever, it's great
Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #44
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook,Kobo Clara HD,Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinghy View Post
I have a Kobo touch - no issues with it whatsoever, it's great
Yes, if I ignore the horrible bugs with the SD card slot, I have no issues whatsoever with my 2gig reading device.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingwonder View Post
Ya gotta love it when a MR user who barely ever posts and does not own the device they are commenting on shows up. Such fun.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote