Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your example of "re-creation" v. "recreation" is a good example where the hyphen does change the meaning, but any native English speaker could immediately tell from the context which was meant in any particular sentence.
Yes, but the readability decreased and the purpose of typographical rule of thumbs is to increase readability. So that you can understand it is not argument against the rule.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are you sure of that? It is hard to check since it is not so common. I checked some books now but could not fins any examples. So I am not convinced that you are right. But I will from now look for this. Actually i cannot remember ever having seen it.
I'm pretty sure that no eBook reader that I've seen breaks lines on hyphens, but that obviously doesn't mean that those that I haven't seen don't do so .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #33
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader breaks on hyphens:
Click image for larger version

Name:	re-creation.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	9652
tompe does not like the break after re-cre, but I'm not sure if this is something a layout editor would do or not. Interestingly, FBReader does not break recreation after re.

Name:	recreation.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	9653
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, wallcraft. I briefly looked at FBReader when I had my iLiad, but didn't like it very much, so didn't spend too much time investigating it.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Interestingly, FBReader does not break recreation after re.
That is probably just a rule about the number of characters to have before hyphen.
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that no eBook reader that I've seen breaks lines on hyphens, but that obviously doesn't mean that those that I haven't seen don't do so .
But the question was if printed books of a certain quality level did it? You seemed to argue that it was not a typographical rule to not break a line at a hyphen. Since I have not seen books that do it and since some programs forbids it I still think it is a good typographical rule of thumb.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But the question was if printed books of a certain quality level did it? You seemed to argue that it was not a typographical rule to not break a line at a hyphen. Since I have not seen books that do it and since some programs forbids it I still think it is a good typographical rule of thumb.
Here's an example for you - a page scan of a page from my very good quality "Bleak House". There are actually two examples on this page: "gate-way" and "fire-engine" (both words which Dickens always spells with a hyphen). Both words are broken at the hyphen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bleak.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	9756  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #38
susanrubendall
susanrubendall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Switch from full to left justification on Kindle

On the Kindle, to switch back and forth from full to left justification, press the font size key and then the letter "J." Justification options will appear at the bottom of the screen. You can choose full or left justification. Font size 3 allows about 48 characters per line. I think it's easier to read left justified.
susanrubendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you are used to reading full justified then going to left justified is awful to look at.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you are used to reading full justified then going to left justified is awful to look at.
Doesn't that rather depend what it is that you're reading? You wouldn't want to read poetry fully-justified, I suspect.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #41
Kruskal
Kruskal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Doesn't that rather depend what it is that you're reading? You wouldn't want to read poetry fully-justified, I suspect.
It also depends a lot on font size. The larger the font, the fewer characters per line and the crazier it can look to attempt to right-justify.
Kruskal is offline   Reply With Quote