Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't feel very optimistic.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
If the DE format is introduced to the Reader, does anyone think there's a chance the 500 would get it? That would sure be a nice way to thank us early-adopters for our votes of confidence.
During the Conference Call, we specifically asked that question. The answer we got was to the effect that they didn't know yet. Apparently there are some concerns over whether the 500's hardware will even be able to support a mobile DE or not. Considering the detail that Adobe doesn't have the mobile DE finished (started?) yet, it's hard to blame them for not wanting to commit to something so nebulous. I consider it remarkable that they went out on the limb as far as they did to commit to supporting it on the 505.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It may depend on how large it is. The 505 has more flash memory than the 500. It's possibly that installing it on the 500 may reduce internal memory to an unacceptably low value.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a good point, HarryT. If that's the deciding point, perhaps they'll offer it as an optional upgrade for the 500, that way we could decide for ourselves if it's acceptable or not.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #35
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
NatCh, Will Sony continue to support the format currently used by Connect in all future models of Reader?

If they don't provide DE for the 500, they should at least offer a hefty 505 upgrade discount to those of us who purchased 500's. That way we'd be more likely to remain customers and continue to make use of Connect.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, they didn't say, specifically, but I have the impression that they're still pretty committed to the BBeB format.

My personal thought (and not trying to speak to what anyone else should do) is that I'd be likely to want to upgrade before they drop the BBeB format. I'm also not heavily invested in ConnTexts in the first place -- the books I buy there are things I don't expect to want to re-read, so that lessens my personal concern on the matter.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #37
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm not following your logic. My 500 will always read the BBeB books I've already purchased, so if they drop the BBeB format in the future, I can upgrade to a newer model then. No?

Interesting...they just changed the Connect store name to the Ebook Store from Sony.

Last edited by Michele; 12-14-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Interesting...they just changed the Connect store name to the Ebook Store from Sony.
Very interesting, I'd missed that. And it's a rather obvious and slightly clumsy patch-over job of it too.

Quote:
I'm not following your logic. My 500 will always read the BBeB books I've already purchased, so if they drop the BBeB format in the future, I can upgrade to a newer model then. No?
I'd expect the 500 to always be able to handle the BBeB books, unless they do figure out how to make it support .epub and swap the books out for us.

My logic was mostly to explain that I'm being careful not to sink too much into the ConnStore (whatever they call it, it'll always be the ConnStore to me ), so I'm less worried about losing access to those books than I might otherwise be.

I do buy books there, but they tend to be things I don't plan to want to re-read in 5 years or so. It won't make much difference to me in five years if I can still get to those books or not.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #39
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Very interesting, I'd missed that. And it's a rather obvious and slightly clumsy patch-over job of it too.
The patch is perfect from inside eBook Library, though. I guess their Web folks didn't bother to check it with a regular browser.

They changed the URL, too. ebooks.connect.com gets redirected to ebookstore.sony.com. Maybe their marketing folks wanted to make better use of their brand recognition.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #40
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well... Connect used to be the name for a service that provided far more content than just e-books, and it was pretty unpopular overall.

Maybe they're trying to get rid of the Connect name because they don't want to be related to this old service anymore ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote