Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you keep your library on your device?
Yes, as much as possible. I get twitchy if I don't have all my books at all times. 88 31.77%
Yes, but only because my device/store is sync'd up. 9 3.25%
No, I mostly keep unread books on the device. I delete as I read. 91 32.85%
No, I only keep a selection of books. Too much clutter is bad. 94 33.94%
Maybe? I don't understand this poll. 0 0%
Your choices are very long and may not adequately represent my opinion. Like this one for example: I am a bunny. 10 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #31
GA Russell
Ticats win first!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I collect new books on my hard drive. After a couple of months, I make a copy of each new book, and move them onto my jetBook Lite's SD card; and then move the original copy to my eBook folder on my hard drive.

When I've read a book, I move it from the SD card to a "read books" folder on my hard drive.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #32
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Wouldn't say I get twitchy but I still have plenty of room available so no need to remove anything. I have a collection named "finished books" and if the need arises I will move those of to a USB memory or something.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #33
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I've got most of my books on my reader about 90%.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes.

I sync all devices with Calibre and like to have all my books* available. Sometimes I switch books halfway through, simply because I don't want to read the book I'm reading anymore at that time.

* all books = all books that I have checked and will show correctly on all devices.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'd love to know how many gigs. Mine still (barely) fits on a 32 GB card.
It's actually not as bad as I'd thought. I currently have 83,119 books, using 22.9GB of disk space. That's still way too many to want to have on a device at any one time - I'd never be able to find anything.

The reason for the large number is that for many years I used to download everything that PG released. I'll never read the overwhelming majority of them, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #36
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I try to only keep unread books on my kobo. That pile is big enough without keeping the ones I've read on there too.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #37
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's actually not as bad as I'd thought. I currently have 83,119 books, using 22.9GB of disk space. That's still way too many to want to have on a device at any one time - I'd never be able to find anything.

The reason for the large number is that for many years I used to download everything that PG released. I'll never read the overwhelming majority of them, of course.
You win.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's actually not as bad as I'd thought. I currently have 83,119 books, using 22.9GB of disk space.
I hope you don't have to proofread all of those
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have so many books I have not put them all in Calibre. I have about 2k in Calibre in several versions, EPUB & MOBI, for my ebooks and PDF & CBR for my comics and TPB. I have several thousand (about 40) to go through. Many are in PDF that I will convert to EPUB & MOBI and add covers. Anyone know how many ebooks Calibre can hold before it starts to get wonky? Between setting up my ebook library and DVD ripping I can go on for years without having to buy anything new. With TB drives getting cheaper I want to digitalize (sp?) all my movies/TV shows and books. Keeps me off the streets.

I also download almost anything I find for free but I tend to stick by Science Fiction/Fantasy and Romance books with the standard amount of Classic masterpieces. When it comes to comics I have entire collections of Marvel and tons of Public Domain off DCM (Digital Comic Museum).

Last edited by pagansoul; 01-12-2012 at 08:07 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Most of my ebooks are from Amazon, as I read them I put them in the archive. But the iBooks and Nook I keep on the iPad but I don't find myself reading them very often. Amazon gets most of my business as it seems to have more content and better prices.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #41
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
There's no way I'd be able to put my entire library onto my reader, even with a large SD card in it.

My fiction/poetry books is in excess of 20Gb, my non-fiction/reference book is about 150Gb and my comic book collection exceeds 250Gb in size.

This lot would would be completely unmanagable on my T1 - if I could event fit it all on. And the speed of the device would be so slow, I'd never complete the sync on it.

Nope, this all resides on a NAS box at home with a chunk of it sitting in my SugarSync account (the stuff I am currently reading/plan to read) for access on my mobile and tablet.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #42
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I can't fit all of my books onto my Reader (Sony PRS-505). I tried an SD card once and got impatient with the time it was taking to load up and haven't bothered with it since.

I keep books I'm going to read on my Reader and I add books until the memory is full.

I also have a Kindle, which are books I have not read and an Android phone that has only the books I am currently reading.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #43
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I've got only my unread books on my e-reader. Everything else (to include the unread, actually) is safely in Calibre, backed up to my hard drive, external hard drive and Dropbox.

I figure that if I want to re-read something, I'll just get it from Calibre and put it on the reader. Until then, it's "on the shelf" ...

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #44
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
No, I have about 100 books in 3 pages of collections on my Kindle and only a handful on my tablet. I use Calibre to keep track of everything.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #45
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
I delete as I go. That said, I still have over 900 books on my Kindle.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote