Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #31
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Two for certain: my son and one of my girlfriends. My son and I both read on our phones so much that we drive my husband nuts.

I also have two maybe conversions who do read on their Sony e-readers sometimes, but not very much: the aforementioned husband, and my dad.

Other than that, as others have noted, I don't know if any of the many folks who have asked about my e-readers or phone (when it's obvious I'm reading on it, like at a restaurant) from time to time have converted.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #32
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
None that I know of.

Both random strangers on public transit and people I have semi-regular physical contact with IRL have expressed interest in and asked about e-reading and my Kindle and I've demonstrated the latter and written down "for further info" sticky notes on the former (including the URL for MobileRead).

But to date none of the IRL group has seemed to acquire any e-readers yet.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #33
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
3. My boyfriend, my dad, and one of my best friends. My boyfriend is the only one with e-ink, the other two are into the LCD backlit screens but e-reading ie e-reading.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
When I was having my hair done, the hairdresser seems impressed by my ereader, 'nice gadget' he said, but converted him? Don't think so...
Most people that see me reading and ask me about the it, or even want to hold the reader, say they think they would miss the feeling of a 'real' book... My son (who isn't an avid reader, but gets absorbed by a book once in a while) doesn't understand that I want to read a book when I can't check every moment the thickness of the remaining stack of pages...

(And... to OP, although I'm from Belgium too, I only saw someone else reading an e-book once... but that was during a short stay in Toronto.)
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #35
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
My partner, my partner's mother, my best friend and her husband, two of my cousins, my aunt, about 20 of my students, many colleagues at work and I hope lots people at workshops where I've spoken. Still feels like I'm not convincing enough people!
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #36
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have persuaded 4 people to get Kobo's.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-17-2011 at 12:36 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #37
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I've never tried to. I tend to be quite introverted and my devices are fairly introverted as a result. Those who have been curious have generally not been able to relate, waxing wistfully how they'd "miss the feel of a book".

I explain to them that I also read printed books too, and that I mostly use the e-reader for on the go and for times when my wrist can't sustain holding a book for a long time.

To them an e-reader is superfluous and they don't understand that the e-ink screen is different than a computer screen.

I don't try to change their minds anymore than the mobile phone user tries to change mine (my communication needs are more than met with a land line and a computer).
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #38
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
No one that I know of, I'm too busy reading!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #39
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
one (my post wasn't long enough, filler...)
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #40
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
My wife and 2 of my 3 daughters. My wife and one daughter enthusiastically embrace reading on their phone/itouch -- one daughter is "ok" with it -- and one daughter simply refuses.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #41
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Can't claim any converts specifically but I get into a lot of conversations about reading eBooks that start with 'on a computer if you have to' and then move on to 'well, I have an iPad [or other tablet], will that do?' 'sure' and so on. Whether they followed up or not is hard to say. I show them my phone, a Galaxy S, which I find quite adequate for reading and they look at me funny. Mrs has a Galaxy Tab (7inch) which looks more convincing.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #42
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
4 for certain, likely several more.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I guess I'll find out soon. I bought my mother and sister each a T1 for christmas..I've had the discussion with them briefly about ereaders and they hesitated, thought about it, then said something about whether they have lighted screens etc and then eventually went to the "I like real books..."

Should be interesting I suppose to see how/if they use it..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #44
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Whenever anyone says, "I like real books!" I want to ask them if they also prefer CRT televisions over flat screens and walkie-talkies over cell phones. (I don't ask, I just want to.) Of course you will miss certain features (maybe) but it's about the story more than the medium! The first 600-800 page tome I read on my Sony, and I didn't ever have to stop reading simply because I wanted to stop holding the huge book, hooked me for life. I think if people actually tried using an ebook reader they would really like it. That said, I tell people everything they want to know about ebooks if they ask me, and I'll suggest a device if I know someone is an avid reader, but other than that I leave them alone.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ebooks are "real books." They should say; "I like physical books" or "I like paper books." It's not like ebooks are imaginary.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote