Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmar View Post
I tried that once, in my teens
I bet you didn't have an ebook reader in your teens. With an ebook reader (if it has good firmware and interface) looking a word up takes only a few seconds at most, and you can immediately continue reading. Try it again and you'll get to chapter 2
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #32
mersfire
mersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle
Chi or Eowyn, can the Odyssey browser view videos on Youtube or other video sites? I'm curious of the performance of HSIS for video viewing.
mersfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #33
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I don't have Odyssey and won't buy a new ereader until my Opus lasts. But I doubt youtube would work. Anyway I do not know.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #34
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersfire View Post
Chi or Eowyn, can the Odyssey browser view videos on Youtube or other video sites? I'm curious of the performance of HSIS for video viewing.
I don't have an Odyssey (still not available in North America as a "few days" is quite a long time from Bookeen). However I did ask on their blog and they said no. Apparently their focus is on the book reading experience (which is a bit odd given they said the Odyssey would have tablet like features).
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
I don't have an Odyssey (still not available in North America as a "few days" is quite a long time from Bookeen). However I did ask on their blog and they said no. Apparently their focus is on the book reading experience (which is a bit odd given they said the Odyssey would have tablet like features).
I own an Odyssey and I confirm it is not capable of reproducing Youtube (FLV/MP4) videos.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #36
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
(which is a bit odd given they said the Odyssey would have tablet like features).
Which features?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Which features?
I guess the scrolling menus.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #38
irmar
irmar began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook plus 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersfire View Post
Why would one wish to view youtube videos on an e-reader? An e-reader is meant for...hmmmm... reading, right? The more extraneous features they put, the more it weighs and the more it costs. Plus it will never be as good as viewing the videos from a PC which has a display and a graphics card made exactly for that purpose.
irmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #39
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Wow if this is the only thing that can make the Odyssey near a tablet...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #40
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmar View Post
Why would one wish to view youtube videos on an e-reader? An e-reader is meant for...hmmmm... reading, right? The more extraneous features they put, the more it weighs and the more it costs. Plus it will never be as good as viewing the videos from a PC which has a display and a graphics card made exactly for that purpose.
I would want it just for watching very short videos. Also it is not just videos. Web pages use flash for all sorts of things!
I don't really think it would need to weigh more. The big thing about this device it that it has HSIS. It seems to me that if it is capable of animating the book covers and menus it should be able to to short clips of video.
Yes it is true that it would not be as good as watching videos from a PC, but I don't think any of us are asking for "perfect" video playback. just good enough to get the idea of the video across (not watch an hour long movie).
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #41
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would want it just for watching very short videos. Also it is not just videos. Web pages use flash for all sorts of things!
I don't really think it would need to weigh more. The big thing about this device it that it has HSIS. It seems to me that if it is capable of animating the book covers and menus it should be able to to short clips of video.
Yes it is true that it would not be as good as watching videos from a PC, but I don't think any of us are asking for "perfect" video playback. just good enough to get the idea of the video across (not watch an hour long movie).
16 gray levels are not enough even for the task you suggested.

(BTW, the cover animation is going to be removed by Bookeen, since it annoys users.)
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #42
Godzil

Quote:
(BTW, the cover animation is going to be removed by Bookeen, since it annoys users.)
Are you sure? I don't heard things like this
Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #43
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
16 gray levels are not enough even for the task you suggested.

I disagree. If 16 gray levels is enough to view a photograph (which I have done on my Orizon) then why wouldn't it work for video? Particularly black and white videos?

Really? I thought they said they were going to add the option of disabling it.

Last edited by bob123; 12-16-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #44
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Are you sure? I don't heard things like this
They said on their twitter or facebook account that they are going to give the user the chance to disable cover animations after several users pointed out that that effect is rather annoying.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #45
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Really? I thought they said they were going to add the option of disabling it.
My bad, I wrote inaccurately the first reply. But in my opinion the cover animation is rather silly and not useful as it is now.

About the videos: actually even pictures (even black&white ones) are not displayed really well on 16 gray levels --- clearly if you have a b/w video, it might work decently... but I guess playing videos is not the purpose of an e-book reader.