Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #31
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I read more outside the house than inside.

It means my reader to be light and small enough to be carried around absolutely everywhere. I don't feel like caring anything larger than 6" everyday.

I have yet to find a 5" or 6" lcd device with a good enough screen and software to match the comfort the orizion have.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-05-2011 at 08:17 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #32
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
I agree with all those who have mentioned that lcd and e-ink are not converging from the time being.

Battery life and readability in brightly lit environment make e-ink screens perfect for reading, but the slow refresh speed and "ghost" images make them unsuitable for tablets.

Before a device can do both things really well, it will take a lot of technological progress.

Ciao!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have no problems reading books off of a lcd monitor. I have done the majority of my reading from my pc for well over 10 years before I got my Sony almost two years ago. I intend to get a tablet at some point to make reading at night easier.

Will the two converge at some point? Probably, but I'll already have what I need in the meantime.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #34
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The person that solves the glare on an LCD for backlight to get to e-ink readability in daylight is going to be one rich individual.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #35
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Quote:
The person that solves the glare on an LCD for backlight to get to e-ink readability in daylight is going to be one rich individual.
I actually don't think it is a glare problem. When you're out in the sun, the pupils in your eyes shrink a lot to adjust to the brighter environment. Then you can't see an LCD screen anymore, because its brightness is constant, no matter how much light there is outside.

An e-ink, on the other hand, will be a lot brighter in the sun than in your room, because its light is just reflected from the environment, not emitted by OLEDs.

But let's wait for more expert people to comment!

Ciao!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I think it depends on how you use your "computer." For me, the deal-breaker on a tablet is the lack of a full sized keyboard and the terribly small screen real estate. If I were to abandon my big 24" LCD monitor with multiple windows open simultaneously, my second 19" CRT monitor extending my visible desktop, and my favorite keyboard, I would be in a real mess. I do a lot of digital photo editing - something virtually impossible on any tiny screen and without a mouse or tablet. I also spend a lot of time flying the Microsoft Flight Simulator which includes controllers for yoke, pedals, and throttle all connected by USB ports. A desktop computer is ideal for those purposes, yet for reading it lacks, mainly due to the inability to recline, put my feet up and relax. So there is no real substitute for a large screen, 8GB of RAM and a fast 4.0GHz quad core processor for such programs. Web surfing is another deal.

One question then, is whether or not the added color and screen size of a tablet is adequate for casual surfing the 'net and reading. If I have a powerful desktop, why do I need a tablet? My own answer is that I read magazines on my big 24" monitor, often using my big screen to open referenced links. I have yet to find a .PDF book of interest that is not also available in ePub or mobi format. PDF files I read on my Adobe Reader software on the big screen since most of them are either reference material (i.e. owners manuals, etc.) or they are short articles with a few diagrams. I can't think of a reason I'd want to read literature in color. In other words, magazines and manuals are usually quick, easy reads where comfort isn't a consideration, and if I want to watch a movie, the big HDTV at home is the obvious choice.

Another factor is that I'm often several days away from a re-charge outlet. When hiking and backpacking, it is nice to be able to carry a small, light reader with eInk screen that will last a couple of weeks. LCD screens are still too battery-dependent for maximum portability for my uses. As a retiree, I don't need constant access to the web or e-mail when away from home. A simple eInk reader is perfect and I'll read the colored stuff, what little of it there is, at home on the big screen. The slightly larger screen size of tablets for text is a non-issue when everything I read is in 12 pt. type regardless of screen size.

So tablets can be used as eReaders at a sacrifice in portability and charge cycling. But neither tablets or eReaders are good web surfers due to limited screen size with the exception of those web sites that create alternate, cut-down web pages for the smaller screen.

When my favorite web pages can be accessed on a tablet screen without scrolling, when size and weight is brought down to around 5-6 oz., when charge cycling is increased to a week or longer, then I'll consider one. Until then, for 99% of my reading away from home, the eInk reader rules for me.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote