Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #31
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
AFAIK, all such devices render HTML. ePub is basically zipped html.

why not simply HTML?

That said, I don't care about formats, typefaces or colors: give me a good story and I'll pay for it. Though I suppose yours is non-fiction?...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
Christopher Wood
Enthusiast
Christopher Wood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
don't care about formats, typefaces or colors: give me a good story
I'm pretty sure that most people (perhaps all) enjoy a good story less when it's poorly formatted.
Christopher Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #33
Christopher Wood
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
why not simply HTML?
You might as well ask, "Why don't we have a standard?" (we do ... many of them) or "Why don't the manufacturers use the standards?" (they never do ... they make up new ones on the fly).
Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #34
Christopher Wood
Enthusiast

Certainly not a universal metric, but this is an interesting quote from a writer's blog:

Quote:
sales have also dropped off about 15%, pretty much across the board. I was averaging 831 daily sales in May. So far in June, I'm at 725 a day. On Nook, I was averaging 50 a day. This month, I'm averaging 40.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
is AZW the same as Mobipocket? If not then I don't think you can say mobipocket is the most read format, if it is then yes you might have a claim.

but also it's not the most widely distributed and that is what I think JSWolf is referring to. What format are ebook stores around the world including the US and UK uisng? If the majority are using ePub then that is the most widely used.
I'm not sure how it is with the publishers out in the UK but all mainstream publisher are either on AZW or ePub here in the US, mobi is used on more obscure smaller publisher, self publishers and authors.
Yes, AZW is Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #36
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, AZW is Mobi.
so Azw is mobi with Amazon's own DRM similiar to Nookbook being an ePub with their own DRM?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #37
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
so Azw is mobi with Amazon's own DRM similiar to Nookbook being an ePub with their own DRM?
Yes. Note that Amazon owns MobiPocket. The DRM was originally exactly like that from MobiPocket (but from Amazon's servers), now the DRM is a bit different but the underlying format is still MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, market share