Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite types of reading (you can tick several)
Biography 25 19.69%
Drama 11 8.66%
History 46 36.22%
Philosophy 15 11.81%
Poetry 6 4.72%
Politics 7 5.51%
Religion 11 8.66%
Science 33 25.98%
Fiction: Classics 60 47.24%
Fiction Crime 57 44.88%
Fiction Fantasy 67 52.76%
Fiction Historical 42 33.07%
Fiction:Modern Literary 38 29.92%
Fiction: Romantic 22 17.32%
Fiction: Sci Fi 82 64.57%
Everything above 1 0.79%
Other 28 22.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I love historical fiction, science fiction and fantasy
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #32
Mjaydakid
Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3
I don't understand how 'classics' can figure in as a unique genre. All good books in every genre will eventually become a classic. Is HG Wells any more classic than S King or A Rice in the field of speculative fiction? I always thought being a classic was a function age and endurance.
Mjaydakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #33
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjaydakid View Post
I don't understand how 'classics' can figure in as a unique genre. All good books in every genre will eventually become a classic. Is HG Wells any more classic than S King or A Rice in the field of speculative fiction? I always thought being a classic was a function age and endurance.
If "Gay" or "African American" can be unique genres, then "Classics" definitely can. Of course, I think that writing can be multi-genre, and I believe I don't have to pay attention to every genre.

Oh, and I, too, had to use "other" for horror. Figured I might as well
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
If "Gay" or "African American" can be unique genres, then "Classics" definitely can. Of course, I think that writing can be multi-genre, and I believe I don't have to pay attention to every genre.

Oh, and I, too, had to use "other" for horror. Figured I might as well
I hear what you're saying but I agree that "Classic" really is a function of time, and endurance.

As for "gay" and "African American", that's a bit different. My step-mom went out of her way to make sure my sisters and I had "African American" or Black (as I am originally Caribbean) dolls and stories when we were little, so that we could see and have representatives of "us". That label doesn't affect my buying habits now as an adult (either for myself or my kids who are multiracial), but I understand why it is there.
I feel that need or want of representation is the same for the GLBT community and any other section of people who have been considered or treated as a "minority".
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote