Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you planning on upgrading to the Nook Simple Touch Reader from your Nook Classic?
YES 48 34.29%
NO 42 30.00%
On the fence / need more information 50 35.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Probably not. The Pearl touch screen and long battery life are positives, but the lack of a browser to enable wifi when a password is needed and the inability to access my Calibre library through something like Trook are big negatives. I've never had any complaints with the Vizplex screen and it is no big deal to recharge every few days since the charger is plugged in next to my night table. I'd worry that the screen would get dirty with all that touching - the lcd on my classic certainly does - which might interfere with reading.

The only thing that would motivate me to upgrade now would be the ability to zoom in on illustrations in epubs, but I understand the reader software itself hasn't been updated. If I'm wrong, then I'd update.

Maybe after somebody roots the new hardware and provides some apps that fill in the holes, I'll update. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with the classic.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I voted no. I have my nook color and K2. The perl screen and small form factor are not enough for me to get a new device just yet.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #33
ffred
Enthusiast
ffred began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
I can't vote in the poll because I gave my original Nook to my daughter because the lower LCD screen annoyed me. I replaced it with a Nook color, but I missed the ability to use it out-of-doors. I was no way going to expand Amazon's domain, and I wasn't confident about Kobo's build quality (unfounded, I know -- sorry, Kobo), so yesterday I pre-ordered a new Nook. I'm supposed to pick it up at my B&N syore on Jun 10. I might wish that they had priced it more aggressively, but I don;t think it suits B&N in their precarious financial condition to enter into a pricing war with Amazon,
ffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
being a sony 350 owner who loves gadgets, BN gave me no reason to buy the Nook touch. no browser, no audio, same screen. and at $139, i will have to go with the cheaper kobo touch or the kindle
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #35
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I voted No. I have recently added a Kindle and the file system is much better than the nook. Plus there is a ton more support for the Kindle; I found three utilities that work like a charm and do what I needed. Lastly, the screen has significantly more contrast than the nook.

Nook had such a bad directory system that it only made sense when I could hack it. Their refusal to fix things after numerous upgrades soured me on their products and in spite of not liking the Kindle for lack of epub support, they are much better than nook, so this new offering would have to offer a lot more than what it does to get my interest. Same problems as before, just a new box. What's the big deal?

Never mind that the Kindle is now $114. Is B&N really that oblivious?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #36
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I voted No. I have recently added a Kindle and the file system is much better than the nook. Plus there is a ton more support for the Kindle; I found three utilities that work like a charm and do what I needed. Lastly, the screen has significantly more contrast than the nook.

Nook had such a bad directory system that it only made sense when I could hack it. Their refusal to fix things after numerous upgrades soured me on their products and in spite of not liking the Kindle for lack of epub support, they are much better than nook, so this new offering would have to offer a lot more than what it does to get my interest. Same problems as before, just a new box. What's the big deal?

Several things to note:
  1. The new nook touch is based on Android 2.1. The nook classic was based on Android 1.5. It's quite possible that file system organization has changed with such a massive OS update
  2. You didn't say what three "utilities" you're using with the Kindle, and what they do.
  3. The new screen is the same Pearl eInk screen as on the Kindle 3
  4. The new Nook is the same price as the Kindle 3 Wifi. The $114 you quote is the "Kindle with Special Offers", or the "get a discount for looking at ads" version. The girlfriend was fine with that so she bought a KSO. I'm not, so I preordered the nook touch.

As far as specs go, this is a significant upgrade from the nook classic. You're obviously welcome to dislike it, but it's worth looking at it on its own merits rather than automatically disqualifying it because of issues in older versions of the hardware.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #37
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post

This is the biggest load of bs ive read in awhile on here. I dont get it what is up with all the kindle owners trolling on the nook board of late. Are you all that insecure in that outdated 1980 calculator you call an ereader you have to troll on its biggest competitor?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I've pre-ordered two: one to replace my son's Nook, and one for me - my first e-reader. I'm not reading as much as I'd like, and I think part of it is reading on a laptop is less than ideal.
Yes, reading on a laptop is not as ideal as a good reader. Try taking your laptop to bed or to the bathroom or just outside.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
This is the biggest load of bs ive read in awhile on here. I dont get it what is up with all the kindle owners trolling on the nook board of late. Are you all that insecure in that outdated 1980 calculator you call an ereader you have to troll on its biggest competitor?
I'm not sure, but I think it's a case of touchphobia. I think a lot of Kindle owners are afraid of losing all those buttons for a sleeker more ergonomically user friendly reader. I for one applaud B&N and Kobo for dropping the LCD/Buttons for the touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #40
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Nook Classic (V1) owner. Just pre-ordered my V2 - I would have bought it yesterday if it had immediate availability.

Touchscreen is HUGE for me - I have basically given up on the dictionary because it's so hard to navigate to a word. Probably the single most-wanted feature for me. I will be REAL happy to lose the LCD touchscreen on my V1.

Pearl is also a big deal. When I got my Nook I was on the fence between K3 and Nook Classic because of this.

Glad they kept the physical page-turn buttons.

Battery life isn't big deal because I'm never far from a charger (and five minutes trickle charge on a dead Nook seems to give me plenty of time for a reading session).

Hope we can get it rooted for Trook etc.!

I was VERY happy to see this advance. And really, $140 for an ebook reader (or $129 or $114 or $99) is really a great deal when you think about this technology (esp. compared to a few years ago).

My wife is a bit perturbed that I'm upgrading her Christmas present after only five months, but I think she understands. Now to decide who gets my old one - my mom or my sister...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #41
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not sure which way I'll go. I've only had my Nook 8 months or so. I may go Kindle for my next reader, my go Kobo. But, I'll keep Nook in mind. I may just come down to support and book availability. Every time I see a book available on Kindle not available on Nook, I make a note of it.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #42
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post

The new screen is the same Pearl eInk screen as on the Kindle 3
Almost. It's a touchscreen though, which reduces some of the advantages of Pearl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I'm not sure, but I think it's a case of touchphobia. I think a lot of Kindle owners are afraid of losing all those buttons for a sleeker more ergonomically user friendly reader.
De gustibus. I don't have a Kindle (when they get ePub, I'm there!) but I have touchphobia as well. Touchscreens tend to do things when you accidentally touch them. I not only prefer buttons, I want them a little hard to press so only what I want done will happen. I don't drag and drop on computers, either, and I prefer a stick to an automatic transmission. Get off my lawn.

I've been waiting for an improved Nook with a Pearl screen for months now. Touch is enough of a negative for me that I won't be getting one. I just got got a Pocketbook 360 for the same price as the new Nook, and I'm not regretting it at all. The Pearl screen might be better, but the amount of that "better" has been reduced by the touchscreen.

Also, the 360 has the best interface I've seen so far on an ebook reader. It supports folders, so Calibre organization works, it allows me to configure the buttons they way I like, and the auto rotate is kind of snazzy as well.

If it weren't for the touchscreen, the new Nook sounds pretty good, but I'm going to pass.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #43
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg View Post
Almost. It's a touchscreen though, which reduces some of the advantages of Pearl.

No, it doesn't. Not at all. The pearl eink screens on the Sony are flawless and every bit as good as the screen on the K3.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #44
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
The new screen is the same Pearl eInk screen as on the Kindle 3
The assumption you've made is wrong. This is not a resistive touch screen like on the old Sony readers, where there's another layer over the top of the eInk screen that cuts contrast and makes things slightly blurry. It's IR-based touch like on the new Sony readers and on the new Kobo (or the first generation Microsoft Surface table, even), where there's no extra layer over the screen. Instead, there are IR transmitters and receivers along all four sides of the screen bezel that can accurately track where you're "touching" by figuring out what IR beams your finger (or stylus, or carrot) is occluding. Technically you shouldn't even need to actually touch the screen to use it.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #45
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I stopped by my somewhat local B&N tonight to purchase another cover for my NOOKcolor. Decided to go ahead and reserve a new NOOK. I normally buy stuff from Best Buy.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote