Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
$699? I'm interested in a tablet device but I already think the iPad is overpriced. I doubt I'm alone in that. So, far all these tablet devices I've heard about are priced on par or above the iPad. That said, I might consider a TouchPad if it's priced around $399 or so. But at $699, forget it.
I'm with you. Offer something around $400 for goodness sake. They act like this stuff is running a full OS. Keep the cameras and give me something that I can run applications on for these prices. Reminds me of when I paid $1,000 for a Panasonic portable DVD player in 1999. How long are we going to have to wait for descent prices?

Last edited by SCION; 02-11-2011 at 08:29 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
One of the good things about all this "tablet war" is that at some point prices will go down, I have no doubts about it. I'm guessing here but probably end of year or beginning of 2012 we will find something in the $400 range and something good, not a piece of junk.

I'm not a big Apple's fan but I've read several articles that are pointing to a price drop for current iPads too, giving the case its new version is coming pretty soon. That's a direct result of Samsung and Motorola recent releases.

By the way, SCION
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" with Honeycomb will be launched or show this Sunday! ... no wonder why Apple is rushing their new device.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-11-2011 at 08:54 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #33
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Apple is rushing their new device.
No, they aren't. The original Galaxy Tab was just 'meh' in the market anyway.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #34
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No, they aren't.
+1. Apple has probably the most predictable update cycle of any mobile manufacturer. John Gruber wrote recently that this could change this year with the 'predicted' annual update to the iPad supplemented by another in September. So, if the HP TouchPad schedule were to slip a little (e.g. availability in 'summer' could easily become September) then they could find themselves competing not against iPad 2, but iPad 3.

Re. the pricing, I don't see Apple cutting prices of current iPads anytime soon; wouldn't it be interesting though if they were to follow the same pattern as iPhone, in that the previous model stays available at a kock-down price after a new model is announced? Then we might see an iPad 2 with a spec bump lineup at the current prices in a couple of months time, but with the older entry-level iPad 16Gb still available at what, $399? $349? $299? And that's before we even start thinking about a 7" iPad...

TouchPad looks good, as does the Moto Xoom (Exhume - is that how it's pronounced??) but until they actually start shipping product into stores, well, it's all guesswork and speculation, right?

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
$699? I'm interested in a tablet device but I already think the iPad is overpriced. I doubt I'm alone in that. So, far all these tablet devices I've heard about are priced on par or above the iPad. That said, I might consider a TouchPad if it's priced around $399 or so. But at $699, forget it.
Nook Color, rooted $249.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #36
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Re. the pricing, I don't see Apple cutting prices of current iPads anytime soon; wouldn't it be interesting though if they were to follow the same pattern as iPhone, in that the previous model stays available at a kock-down price after a new model is announced? Then we might see an iPad 2 with a spec bump lineup at the current prices in a couple of months time, but with the older entry-level iPad 16Gb still available at what, $399? $349? $299? And that's before we even start thinking about a 7" iPad...
I think people expecting the ipad1 to hang around at a cheaper price are probably going to be out of luck, the entry-level ipad2 is probably still going to be 16gb so why would they want the older model stealing sales from that one. The ipad is probably more like the situation with ipods than iphones with Apple having a lot more control over stock levels and thus there is less need for the old model to live on due to carriers having supplies still to clear out.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #37
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I think people expecting the ipad1 to hang around at a cheaper price are probably going to be out of luck, the entry-level ipad2 is probably still going to be 16gb so why would they want the older model stealing sales from that one.
If that's the case then I agree, though personally I think iPad2 will have 32/64/128Gb versions; you may be right though, I haven't heard of anyone who's seriously struggling with 'only' a 64Gb iPad...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #38
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I know I can easily fill up 64gb on a device with my Audible audiobooks alone. I asked this same question in the Apple sub-forum here and got good feedback from folks. I am one who would be attracted to a 128gb device plus that vast an amount of storage could also reduce people from clamoring for an SD card slot to expand storage. Also it would maybe help encourage people who worry about storage on the iDevice to buy more video at the iTunes store so adding the large amount of space could actually increase sales for Apple.

I just figure it's a natural evolution on the devices as we get ever more insane video resolutions. I dunno but for me even 720p is more than enough. But even at that resolution the files are not small.

I just think Apple would want more people purchasing more content on the iDevices and right now even the biggest iPad could cause those who are not sure and only hear people talk about the iPad being limited on storage so they are fussier about what they buy and download to the device. Maybe?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #39
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
It should be pointed out that the $699 price (WHICH IS A RUMOR) is likely for the top of the line device, with 3G and 32GB of memory. There are wifi-only devices planned and a 16GB device planned as well, which will likely cost less. These quoted RUMORED prices are about the same as the iPad.

I was looking at a co-worker's iPod Touch the other day and I kept doing finger-swipe gestures to go back and forth. He was like, "No, you have to use the back buttons" and I was all "THAT'S SO 2008!" LOL. But the tablet has no gesture area. Booooooo.

I really do want a Pre 3 very much.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #40
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
It should be pointed out that the $699 price (WHICH IS A RUMOR) is likely for the top of the line device, with 3G and 32GB of memory. There are wifi-only devices planned and a 16GB device planned as well, which will likely cost less. These quoted RUMORED prices are about the same as the iPad.

I was looking at a co-worker's iPod Touch the other day and I kept doing finger-swipe gestures to go back and forth. He was like, "No, you have to use the back buttons" and I was all "THAT'S SO 2008!" LOL. But the tablet has no gesture area. Booooooo.

I really do want a Pre 3 very much.
I am so confused, help prevent my brain pan from imploding, pleeeease.

You seem to be saying that the Touch your friend has does not use gestures? I thought that has always been the reason to own one? Or was this the original iPod? Now that I can join AARP I seem to confuse easily.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 02-14-2011 at 10:10 AM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
The original Galaxy Tab was just 'meh' in the market anyway.
What you mean with "meh"? I guess you're trying to say "me". Anyways, all current tablets were launched because the initial iPad idea but that does not mean they are bad. Lot of IT products are "just me" products and they become even better, like CD and players, orginally by Phillips but refined by so many good brands like Sony. Nook color, when not perfect, is a good idea too, based on iPads for sure.

Did you know that iPod idea was an HP one? When Jobs saw that same idea was going to be launched, he called Fiorina himself and promised participation in the iTunes store, even a branded iPod. Later Jobs launched the iPod with the success we all know now. When Fiorina approached Jobs again, he rejected participation and that was how the whole HP idea and Project got sunk. Apple history (and HP one) would be totally different if she had taken a different position.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-14-2011 at 10:48 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #42
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
I am so confused, help prevent my brain pan from imploding, pleeeease.

You seem to be saying that the Touch your friend has does not use gestures? I thought that has always been the reason to own one? Or was this the original iPod? Now that I can join AARP I seem to confuse easily.
The iPod Touch has a touchscreen, but iOS does not use gestures like webOS uses. In webOS, there is a gesture area beneath the screen, and you use, for instance, a swipe to the left to go back or delete something, swipe up to minimize the card and open another app, swipe to move the cards around, that sort of thing. With iOS, you have to touch a "back" button to go back, but I stupidly did a backswipe trying to go back to the list of books. I'm just used to my OS, that's all, and was making a little joke.

ETA: You do swipe to change pages in the reader apps in iOS. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of swiping for regular use.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #43
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
(I don't think I've seen this posted.)

HP Touchpad - Super natural.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #44
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
That touchpad looks really really nice, though it must cost a pretty penny.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #45
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Old thread, but at least this device is 4:3.

As with all of them, the question is apps, apps, apps.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote