Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Did the mention the GPS? At the moment they are in the process of becoming a part of smart phones. In a few years I perdict there will be no dedicated GPSs your Smartphone will do that for you and a lot more.
I think you'll be proven very wrong, as GPS are used by boating people and pilots as well as general off roaders (and taxi drivers) all over the world.

So, no, dedicated GPS's/chartplotters won't be dead because cell phones have them integrated.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #32
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, technically, PRS-950 isn't a dedicated reader. It is a combination or e-book reader and Internet browsing device.
... not that I consider CNET to be authority on technical progress ...
Exactly. And my Nook is a Sudoku and chess machine. And as time goes on, it will advance to color e-Ink equivalents and refresh improvements until it also does video. And you have a full-fledged tablet with a quality e-Ink screen, not a dedicated ebook reader.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #33
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
While a lot of "dedicated" ereaders may be able to perform other *minor* functions, they are created for reading. My Kobo does nothing but display books, the Sony ereaders & Kindles may allow limited web browsing and mp3s - but they don't do these functions very well. Even with the limited browsing and music playing, these are still reading devices.

I'm not familiar with the NookColor - can't speak about that.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #34
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, not the first time I'm on the wrong end of the technology curve.

I've got a JetBook Lite -- just an ereader. I can listen to music when I read, since I have ( several ) MP3 players. Etc.

I prefer dedicated devices. If I want a better MP3 player with more or different features I don't have to get rid of my ereader.

My wife has an Ipad. It's great for a lot of things, but kind of cumbersome for reading. I wouldn't want to have to haul it out just to catch up on a short story.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not the person that sets the trends.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
While a lot of "dedicated" ereaders may be able to perform other *minor* functions, they are created for reading. My Kobo does nothing but display books, the Sony ereaders & Kindles may allow limited web browsing and mp3s - but they don't do these functions very well. Even with the limited browsing and music playing, these are still reading devices.

I'm not familiar with the NookColor - can't speak about that.
A lot of people will hit back, but Nook Color is a tablet, with the Android interface locked in order to provide a fixed and customized UI. Anything with LCD screen as main input/output device and a virtual keyboard, is a tablet.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #36
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph
CNET predicts that dedicated ereaders are a doomed technology and they will soon be over taken by tablets. "Readers, they're a niche for life."
Poor, poor CNET. It can be hard watching a beloved family member wither with age but CNET gettin' a little withered all the same.

It's not hard to imagine a future where everyone reads off of screens. But it is hard to imagine a world where everyone starts reading off of tablets in particular (maybe CNET is getting caught up in the tablet craze!!! Honestly, the ability for tablets to be all things to all people (even serious readers!) is far from obvious at this point).
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #37
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Everybody, you are misreading this. They didn't mean tablets like the iPad-- they meant that sooner or later we'll finally get books in pill form!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #38
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Amazon clearly believes in reading on multi-function devices, as does Barnes and Noble, Borders, Kobo.

The iPad is still in it's "gen 1" form and pricing. How many people would pay $400 for a kindle 1 today? The kindle grew by leaps and bounds this year, as it's price plummeted to $139.

When thinking of future trends, one needs to consider the future's product offerings. What will tablets be like 3 years from now, 5? They will be lighter, cheaper, longer lasting batteries, and have better screens.

They will also always be more expensive than didicated ereaders. But the difference between a $25 device and a $100 device is not nearly so great as the difference between a $139 device verses a $500 iPad.

Look at the Nook Color, already at half the price of the iPad. What will the Nook Color three years from now, 5 years from now look like?

Eventually the market for dedicated readers will be solely about those who prefer the screen technology over LCD. And that is going to be a lot smaller market than today's eInk-uber-alles folks imagine.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #39
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Did the mention the GPS? At the moment they are in the process of becoming a part of smart phones. In a few years I perdict there will be no dedicated GPSs your Smartphone will do that for you and a lot more.
No. There will always be peaple who don't have / need a smartphone. And fell like using a GPS.

Dedicated e-readers will stay they, for as long as they are people who feel like buying them
Ie : as long as they have a significant advantage over non dedicated devices.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #40
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I think the US press is stuck on this idea of new gadgets replacing each other, and particularly new, multifunction, expensive gadgets taking over the world - largely because of the marketing potential.

They still sell radios, don't they? Yet I could listen to radio on my mobile phone or on my MP3 player if I wanted to - but when I'm working in my office, I turn on the radio so I don't have to stick those earbud thingees in my ears.

They still sell cameras (yeah, I know - I've seen another article predict the end of dedicated cameras, too), yet most mobile phones these days will take pictures, too. If you care about the pictures you take, you have a dedicated camera of some variety.

We just sold a really spiffy netbook (we sell computers) that comes with a touch-screen. The screen swivels around and folds back onto the keyboard, making a tablet computer that is just about the size of an e-reader, though just a bit thicker. Something like that strikes me as far more practical than the current crop of tablets and I may just get myself one for traveling. (Wouldn't use it for reading, though - I won't give up my eInk based reader which I find much more restful on the eyes.)

Ultimately they may recombine some functions to create a different sort of reader, but not everyone wants an all-singing, all-dancing tablet-telephone-tv-reading machine that also shines your shoes and tucks you in at night.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #41
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Amazon clearly believes in reading on multi-function devices, as does Barnes and Noble, Borders, Kobo.

The iPad is still in it's "gen 1" form and pricing. How many people would pay $400 for a kindle 1 today? The kindle grew by leaps and bounds this year, as it's price plummeted to $139.

When thinking of future trends, one needs to consider the future's product offerings. What will tablets be like 3 years from now, 5? They will be lighter, cheaper, longer lasting batteries, and have better screens.

They will also always be more expensive than didicated ereaders. But the difference between a $25 device and a $100 device is not nearly so great as the difference between a $139 device verses a $500 iPad.

Look at the Nook Color, already at half the price of the iPad. What will the Nook Color three years from now, 5 years from now look like?

Eventually the market for dedicated readers will be solely about those who prefer the screen technology over LCD. And that is going to be a lot smaller market than today's eInk-uber-alles folks imagine.

Lee

One thing I'm sure of: Apple doesn't believe in discount pricing.

I don't think that dedicated ebook readers are going away. Especially with the money publishers are now investing in ebook technology. If dedicated ereaders disappear in favor of a generic "catch-all" - publishers will lose out on a lot of future purchases.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #42
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
not everyone wants an all-singing, all-dancing tablet-telephone-tv-reading machine that also shines your shoes and tucks you in at night.
Are you joking??! I want TWO!

There's a saying in my house about "all-doing" devices: "Not until it performs fellatio/cunnilingus, cooks and cleans house."
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #43
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I believe it. Multifunction devices will become the norm. Yes, it has to be legible under sunlight, as an example of something many devices struggle with today. That doesn't mean they will always struggle with it or any other issues.

It all comes down to the drive of the average person to carry as few devices as possible. Convergence is something we're seeing in phone-forms and we'll see it elsewhere. A great example from phones is video camera capability. The state of the art is getting very close to eliminating the need for anything like a "Flip video" class of camcorder. I'm hoping advances in sensors and lenses (e.g. liquid lenses) continue to improve still camera capability so I'll never want to carry a digicam with me either. I don't see that light at the end of THAT tunnel yet but I have confidence we'll get there within, say, another five years.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #44
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
We are in the same boat
+1 to that
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #45
foruamit2004
foruamit2004 began at the beginning.

Device: none, in doubtful state between tabs and readers
Yeah my first post, came to this forum while searching for a good reader which I can buy in india,

While people are discussing the tablets etc, their is already a tablet which you can read in sunlight without any glare, has great battery life upto 150 hours for reading(for reading uses, compare to other tablets) and andriod 2.3, claimed that it will be upgraded to honeycomb later, cost 600$ and all the other features of a tablet) read here for more. -
http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...nds-on-review/

Search more about the screen tech on google - "Pixel QI"

All this is possible because of Pixel QI screen, I heard that another company is also trying to make a similar screen which can be used as e-ink and lcd according to requirement.
foruamit2004 is offline   Reply With Quote