Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fry didn't match my idea of what Jeeves should look like, but I thought he did a fantastic job in the role, although I haven't seen but a few episodes. I wish they'd repeat the series. Hugh Laurie's Bertie was spot-on.
For the Jeeves fan:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/...butler%20clock
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #32
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
Shoot, I'd brag to people if I'd read some of those 'guilty pleasures'. :P Mine are F/SF romances. Love me some Linnea Sinclair.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
This really is a very strange thread. So far I've yet to see any book mentioned which I'd be at all embarrassed to admit to having read. Apart from Twilight that is, which I wouldn't read unless threatened with a severe beating by a vicious mob of rabid Samoan wrestlers. On PCP.

I guess the most potentially embarrassing books I've read were a number of so-called "sexy westerns" (does such a "genre" still exist, I wonder...). Very badly written and not even terribly sexy. That was probably some 28-30 years ago though and I really don't think they can be held against me today. Apart from those I've not read anything I wouldn't be perfectly happy to bring up in even the most high-brow and snobbish literary circle, including such non-PC jewels as Honoré Gabriel Riqueti's (Comte de Mirabeau) "The Lifted Curtain or Laura's Education", or "Justine, or the Misfortunes of Virtue" by Donatien Alphonse François (Marquis ).

If it's well written, it's worth reading.
I read Justine years ago after purchasing it at thrift shop. De Sade was a twisted individual, but a talented writer. What I found most interesting about Justine's chance encounters with rapists and sadists was how each of these villains felt obligated to justify the dastardly deeds they perpetrated upon her with long-winded speeches about how it was morally right and part of the natural order of things that the desires of the stronger should prevail.

I'm tempted to make a political joke here, but then the thread would have to be moved!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-11-2010 at 09:46 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh! That is so tempting!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #35
mscott9985
Member Retired
mscott9985 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I love Sookie Stackhouse!! I feel guilty every time I pick up a Charlaine Harris book, though. I also like chick lit like "The Nanny Diaries" or "The Devil Wears Prada".
mscott9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #36
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I read tons of erotic romance,and I feel no shame!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #37
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. I will live with the paradox that it was an appallingly-plotted, cardboard-charactered mess of religious conspiracy, and yet one that I was constantly prompted to keep reading into the early hours. I'd have to say I enjoyed it, as one might enjoy a McDonalds complete pigout. But I was not (and have not been) inspired to read anything else. One "Extra Large Value Meal" was enough, thanks.

I still recommend it to some as unmitigated tripe that one might possibly enjoy thoroughly if looking to kill time relaxedly on an OS plane trip or with something not particularly taxing while lounging around the lagoon pool of the Sheraton Laguna Nusa Dua. ~sigh~ Memories...

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #38
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Probably Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. I will live with the paradox that it was an appallingly-plotted, cardboard-charactered mess of religious conspiracy, and yet one that I was constantly prompted to keep reading into the early hours. I'd have to say I enjoyed it, as one might enjoy a McDonalds complete pigout. But I was not (and have not been) inspired to read anything else. One "Extra Large Value Meal" was enough, thanks.
I read The Da Vinci Code in just about one sitting. It was dreadful, I hated it. But those stupid cliffhangers kept me reading. Kudos to Dan Brown, but I'll never be reading another of his books.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #39
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fry didn't match my idea of what Jeeves should look like, but I thought he did a fantastic job in the role, although I haven't seen but a few episodes. I wish they'd repeat the series. Hugh Laurie's Bertie was spot-on.
I have to agree, but as the episodes proceeded, I found the youngish Jeeves seemed to be more and more acceptable to the point where I hear Fry's voice in my head whenever I read a "Jeeves" book. Wodehouse is amazing though, with or without Bertie or Jeeves. I shouldn't be embarrassed to read him, and will change my ways now that I've reconsidered. I shall flaunt his books.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #40
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I read The Da Vinci Code in just about one sitting. It was dreadful, I hated it. But those stupid cliffhangers kept me reading. Kudos to Dan Brown, but I'll never be reading another of his books.

I guess I'm lucky, because I just don't care about cliffhangers. I can stop reading a book (or watching a movie) at any time, if I'm not enjoying it, and never even wonder for a minute what happens next. I didn't even notice the cliffhangers in the 10 pages of the Da Vinci Code I read
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #41
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
At the risk of ruining my"cred," I have a lot of guilty pleasure read s! Any well, written chick lit that is witty and engaging, cozies with fun characters, ya such as Hunger Games and Lois Duncan (and many more!), Dan Brown; if it's engaging and either thought-provoking or escapist, I'm on it!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #42
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
At the risk of ruining my"cred," I have a lot of guilty pleasure read s! Any well, written chick lit that is witty and engaging, cozies with fun characters, ya such as Hunger Games and Lois Duncan (and many more!), Dan Brown; if it's engaging and either thought-provoking or escapist, I'm on it!
! I forgot all about Lois Duncan! My 5th grade teacher gave me a copy of The Third Eye, and it was my favorite book for years. I'd like to reread it, but upon reading through the "do you reread books" thread and remembering the one book I read as an adolescent and tried to reread... I'm thinking not. I don't want to ruin my memory of it.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryman View Post
Wodehouse is amazing though, with or without Bertie or Jeeves. I shouldn't be embarrassed to read him, and will change my ways now that I've reconsidered. I shall flaunt his books.
Flaunt you should! And perhaps you will gain some converts along the way.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #44
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Recently read "The client" by john grisham. I had decided not to touch any of his novels after "the innocent man" but had to buy something for wife which I could read myself. I knew I was in for trouble but took the plunge anyway..think will touch his work after two or three years after this..
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #45
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Are the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency books "downmarket"? Should I be ashamed of liking them?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote