Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #31
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Smashwords is one.
http://www.smashwords.com

Books are available in multiple formats including MOBI, no DRM.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #32
BorderCollie
Slightly out of phase.
BorderCollie began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3362B(gajah Oaxis)
First of all sorry for not responding earlier.

Second, I have narrowed it down to the following 2 devices:
1. Sony PRS 300
2. Hanvon N518

From what I have seen from Sony, it is a very capable device. Hanvon on the other hand, I can get well within my budget from totalereaders.com. Kindle, Nook and Kobo are not what I'm looking for. I might consider a Kindle if I run out of options though.

Questions: Does anyone have experience with Hanvon and totalereaders.com?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for weird questions.

Last edited by BorderCollie; 12-10-2010 at 07:48 AM.
BorderCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know a thing about the Hanvon.

If you are looking at the Sony's I would suggest you look at the 350. The 350 comes with the Pearl screen which is the best screen on the market right now.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 12-10-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Learned something new so I fixed my post
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #34
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
The 300 doesn't have a touchscreen at all - so there is no glare issue. However the contrast of the new Pearl screen on the 350 is definitely better than the older version on the 300. Having said that, I'm quite happy with my 300 and have no immediate plans to upgrade.

BorderCollie, the biggest thing for you to consider is how you are going to use your device. You haven't given us a lot of guidance with that, other than to say you'll be reading pdfs. I will take that to mean that you won't be buying too many books, so access to bookstores is irrelevant, as is wi-fi and 3g.

I haven't seen many users here with a Hanvon; it's definitely one of the lesser known brands. But maybe one of them will speak up. Good luck and I hope you find the device for you!
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #35
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderCollie View Post
First of all sorry for not responding earlier.

Second, I have narrowed it down to the following 2 devices:
1. Sony PRS 300
2. Hanvon N518

From what I have seen from Sony, it is a very capable device. Hanvon on the other hand, I can get well within my budget from totalereaders.com. Kindle, Nook and Kobo are not what I'm looking for. I might consider a Kindle if I run out of options though.

Questions: Does anyone have experience with Hanvon and totalereaders.com?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for weird questions.
Just to want to remind you that sonny has not a built in dictionary and secondo it has a real glare problem.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #36
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Smashwords is one.
http://www.smashwords.com

Books are available in multiple formats including MOBI, no DRM.
this site does not contains DRM Mobi. give me other serious site instead of that.
Brear in mind that all famous well respected books are DRM.
DRM ePuB are sold everywhere !
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If the 300 does not have a touchscreen then it will not have the glare issue. Also the new Sony's with touchscreens, 650, and 950 no longer have the glare problem since Sony is using a different touch screen mechanism.

Also the Sony's do have a dictionary. I don't know how it works on the 300 since it does not use the touchscreen but the 650 and 950 both allow you to double tap on a word to get the definition.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #38
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't know a thing about the Hanvon.

If you are looking at the Sony's I would suggest you look at the 350. The 350 comes with the Pearl screen which is the best screen on the market right now.
Hanvon are making the first color E ink ereaders in history !

E-Ink has announced a new type of color display for e-book readers, known as the E Ink Triton color ePaper, which is able to save more power and work better in bright outdoor conditions. The first e-Book reader that is based on the Triton color ePaper is a 9.7-inch color e-Book reader called Hanvon.

The Hanvon color e-reader has been announced to start accepting its pre-orders although it’s slated to reach the market only in February 2011. The Hanvon will follow the Apple iPad and be available in a WiFi-only model and a WiFi+3G model.

Other than the color display, the Hanvon also features light animations and is compatible with PowerPoint, allows the user to both read and edit these file types. The WiFi-only model will be priced at $528 while a 3G+WiFi model will sell at $574.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #39
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
this site does not contains DRM Mobi. give me other serious site instead of that.
I'm going to assume that you sound ignorant, rude and insulting because English is clearly not your first language.

If an EPUB has DRM applied, that will limit the readers which can access it.

You simply asked where else, other than Amazon, one can buy ebooks that will work on a Kindle, and I gave you an example.

Perhaps you would like to provide some examples of these thousands of books which you say are not available to those outside the US, on Amazon, but are available worldwide in EPUB format elsewhere?
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Just to want to remind you that sonny has not a built in dictionary and secondo it has a real glare problem.
No it doesn't!

The 300 does not have a touch screen and so does not suffer from the issue that the 600 does to some extent. Please don't make posts about something you clearly know nothing about.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Right. Like Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, Lousia May Alcott, some Isaac Asimov, Jane Austin, and so many other, public domain authors who have survived the test of time aren't 'famous or well respected'.

I'm afraid you are confusing "famous and well respected" with quality writing.

They aren't necessarily the same.

Are you saying, that you can get drm'd epub everywhere? Regardless of geo restrictions?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #42
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
I'm going to assume that you sound ignorant, rude and insulting because English is clearly not your first language.

If an EPUB has DRM applied, that will limit the readers which can access it.

You simply asked where else, other than Amazon, one can buy ebooks that will work on a Kindle, and I gave you an example.

Perhaps you would like to provide some examples of these thousands of books which you say are not available to those outside the US, on Amazon, but are available worldwide in EPUB format elsewhere?
Ok I m going to accept that I m ignorant, rude and insulting, can you find "caffeine blues" eBook by Stephen Chernisk in your website ? or "The Metabolic Plan: Stay Younger Longer" or may be "The Dhea Breakthrough" ???
can you find the best seller "Failure Is Not An Option" by the giant Gene Kranz in your smart website ?
Even Dr Joseph Mercola books are not available wow !
"Dark Deception"
"Generation XL"
"The No-Grain Diet "
There no one single ebook by Larry King
"My Remarkable Journey" , "Anything Goes!My Dad And Me", "Remember Me When I'm Gone" ,'How To Talk To Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere " and "The People's Princess Diana biography"

all those ebooks are easily found in ePub formats

thousands of titles are missing in your alternative site, may be you read only fiction and biographies of English celebrities.

Your site is a joke and it fits completely your needs I see.

PS: thank you for wasting my time by doing research in your famous site.

Last edited by erictoma; 12-10-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
No it doesn't!

The 300 does not have a touch screen and so does not suffer from the issue that the 600 does to some extent. Please don't make posts about something you clearly know nothing about.
yeah sorry I was a mistake
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #44
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Right. Like Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, Lousia May Alcott, some Isaac Asimov, Jane Austin, and so many other, public domain authors who have survived the test of time aren't 'famous or well respected'.

I'm afraid you are confusing "famous and well respected" with quality writing.

They aren't necessarily the same.

Are you saying, that you can get drm'd epub everywhere? Regardless of geo restrictions?
the problem in this site is that some people think that eBooks are novels !
eBooks can be non fiction book too !

Last edited by erictoma; 12-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #45
erictoma
Banned

So I repeat my legitimate question :
If your kindle store did not have the title you are looking for.

could you give an alternative ebook store?

Last edited by erictoma; 12-10-2010 at 03:05 PM.