Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #31
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'll agree that _Kindred_ should be on the list --- but because _A Wizard of Earthsea_ predates it (by over a decade), feel that it merits being on the list as well.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 05:03 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Ha! The Lathe of Heaven is the first of her books I've read, and I loved it.
Then you'll like the Left Hand of Darkness far far more (SF). Many of her SF are in the "Hanish" storyverse.
There is a decent illustrated (works on 6" eink) Earthsea ebook omnibus which has all the novels and all the separately publish short stories.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2022, 05:42 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I'll agree that _Kindred_ should be on the list --- but because _A Wizard of Earthsea_ predates it (by over a decade), feel that it merits being on the list as well.
The date of a book is irrelevant as to how good or not it is. It is good because it's good. A Wizard of Earthsea doesn't belong on the list because it's not good enough.

I'm waiting for the new TV version of Kindred to come to Disney+.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #34
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Being first is worth something, and I would argue that it was done quite well, and is more than good enough:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...orge-rr-martin

https://deedispeaking.com/book-revie...rd-of-earthsea

>_A Wizard of Earthsea_ is a classic fantasy novel for a reason. It’s exciting, has great world-building, and teaches a great overarching lesson.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Being first is worth something, and I would argue that it was done quite well, and is more than good enough:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...orge-rr-martin

https://deedispeaking.com/book-revie...rd-of-earthsea

>_A Wizard of Earthsea_ is a classic fantasy novel for a reason. It’s exciting, has great world-building, and teaches a great overarching lesson.
This is an excellent snippet of a review that sums things up very well.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/182876241
Quote:
This book could be a case study in how not to write a fantasy novel. Start with poorly-drawn characters the reader will feel indifferent about. Add a world that isn't very interesting. Complete it by having the characters do next to nothing of significance. Then, when the climactic battle comes the reader has nothing invested in the outcome.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-13-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Advert
Old 12-13-2022, 11:36 AM   #36
WillAdams
Wizard

Does it not trip your irony meter that you have cherry-picked one review from a site which overwhelmingly rates the book positively?

4.28 stars (which is almost exactly the same rating as _Kindred_ at 4.29)

Unfortunately, the person's bookshelf only has 19 books on it, so it's hard to get a sense of what they actually like, though I find some ratings inexplicable, and completely disagree w/ others, so all that I get from this specific review is that tastes differ.

My contention is that the book in question was groundbreaking in terms of content and context when it was written, and that it is well-regarded enough by a sufficiently large quantity of people that it merits inclusion in a list of classics. A review average essentially the same as the later, and very specific in terms of content/message novel which you put forward would seem to support regarding it as a classic.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm waiting for the new TV version of Kindred to come to Disney+.
Careful what you wish for. Few TV or film adaptations are as good as the book.
Besides BGI is better thant CGI

https://slate.com/culture/2004/12/ur...-earthsea.html

The Peter Jackson Hobbit films and Amazon LOTR prequel are different kinds of travesties of the books.

Compare real Bambi book with Disney. I enjoyed Disney Jungle Book as a kid, but it's only a passing connection to the book.
Disney's Sleeping Beauty Animation is obnoxious. The Good fairies turned into those stupid twee things and the 100 years skipped?

Disney is a serial wrecker of culture and often doesn't even pay for it. It may seem entertaining if you are 5 to 10 yo and don't know the books.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:23 PM   #38
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would include Louise Cooper's Time's Master and Chaos Gate Trilogies. Unfortunately, the only one available as an ebook is the third book of the Time's Master series.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #39
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is a decent illustrated (works on 6" eink) Earthsea ebook omnibus which has all the novels and all the separately publish short stories.
A Wizard of Earthsea is on sale for $2 on the Kobo store right now, so I bought that. I'd rather have the plain book than an illustrated edition, as the whole point of reading is to use your imagination, IMO. I don't really want some random artist telling me what he thinks the events look like to him.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:37 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
A Wizard of Earthsea is on sale for $2 on the Kobo store right now, so I bought that. I'd rather have the plain book than an illustrated edition, as the whole point of reading is to use your imagination, IMO. I don't really want some random artist telling me what he thinks the events look like to him.
Ah, but they aren't like that and you can ignore them (or delete). The point is that it has all the stories, not just the novels ( 2 or 3 original + whatever later, I forget). It's on offer occasionally.

I too think illustrations in actual novels (not Rupert Annuals, graphic novels, comics or kids' picture books) for anyone over about 7 are a usually a waste of space.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've seen movies at Rotten Tomatoes where the reviewers and the viewers have very different views of a movie.

I feel that reading Le Guin's work is like taking a sledge hammer to your head.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #42
WillAdams
Wizard

Tastes differ, and folks have different perceptions of different versions.

crossi wrote:

>I would include Louise Cooper's Time's Master and Chaos Gate Trilogies. Unfortunately, the only one available as an ebook is the third book of the Time's Master series.

I didn't find those that memorable when I read them on Michael Moorcock's recommendation (and certainly at least one novel of his should be on this list) --- what did you find notable in them?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen movies at Rotten Tomatoes where the reviewers and the viewers have very different views of a movie.

I feel that reading Le Guin's work is like taking a sledge hammer to your head.
Read something else!

Reviewer/critics of books, media hype of books, casual readers of books and avid readers of books mostly differ in viewpoint too. More so than with movies.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:11 PM   #44
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I liked the different take on order and chaos, good and evil.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:22 PM   #45
WillAdams
Wizard

It was much the same as Michael Moorcock had already looked at in his books, unless I missed something.