Notices

Old 04-10-2022, 12:05 PM   #31
Regard_39
Enthusiast
Regard_39 doesn't litterRegard_39 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Why not buy your wife a nice Clara or Libra as an "Unbirthday Present" just because you love her?
(And it makes life simpler for you )
Indeed, it would be very convenient for me, but this strategy has not worked: a beautiful Clara has been waiting for a long time, with a case decorated by my children and winking at her every day; this reader is reaching out to her, but for the moment nothing is happening.
Regard_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 AM   #32
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, that's what I do for my Kobos. I've never pre-converted anything, that would waste space. The extended driver does a superb job on the fly and I won't have any kepubs taking space in my library.

As I edit all my books (as in the files, not only metadata), it would be pointless for me to keep my books as kepubs.
I have a question for you!

How do you navigate around the fact that after you've edited a book, you have to delete the version on the reader and resend? What do you do with annotations and bookmarks that then disappear?
I recently discovered that I can save annotations and then restore them even if I edit the original EPUB and resend its new version to my reader. But this doesn't seem possible with KEPUB...
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 04:39 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnroot View Post

How do you navigate around the fact that after you've edited a book, you have to delete the version on the reader and resend? What do you do with annotations and bookmarks that then disappear?
I recently discovered that I can save annotations and then restore them even if I edit the original EPUB and resend its new version to my reader. But this doesn't seem possible with KEPUB...
Depending on the edits, you may not have to delete the eBook on your Reader as the KoboTouchExtended driver has an option to allow you to send the edited eBook and replace the one that's there.

Under the Collections, covers, & uploads tab, check Do not treat replacements as new books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:40 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

I edit all my ebooks before loading them on my Kobos and reading them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:59 AM   #35
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I edit all my ebooks before loading them on my Kobos and reading them.
Fair enough.
I've been having issues with EPUB to KEPUB conversion such as weird justification of images, squashed words containing special characters such as "ë":s, and chapter titles always justified to the left when they are centered in the EPUB:s. What is your workflow?
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:31 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Fair enough.
I've been having issues with EPUB to KEPUB conversion such as weird justification of images, squashed words containing special characters such as "ë":s, and chapter titles always justified to the left when they are centered in the EPUB:s. What is your workflow?
The titles issue is a user error. You need to go to the Aa menu and turn off justification.

Do you have any patches for KePub applied? Do you have any added options in the config file for KePub?
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Fair enough.
I specify justification in the book css and turn it off on the Kobo. Then the images and titles will be centered.

As to squashed words, I have not seen this (and Estonian has several characters not found in English, like õ, ä, ö and ü). Have you tried a different font?
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #38
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
I always keep the original file, whether it's AZW3, ePub 2, or ePub 3. Then I convert as needed depending on where I wish to read it. The original file remains untouched. I like to keep my options open.

I do the same with images. I create my edits as a "master" file, then use the master to produce images at the size I need.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I always keep the original file, whether it's AZW3, ePub 2, or ePub 3. Then I convert as needed depending on where I wish to read it. The original file remains untouched. I like to keep my options open.
I keep the originals too, but not in my Calibre library - as I'm never going to read an unedited original, there's not much point for me to keep it in Calibre. I keep the originals in a separate folder and edit the copy in Calibre according to my preferences.
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I keep the originals too, but not in my Calibre library - as I'm never going to read an unedited original, there's not much point for me to keep it in Calibre. I keep the originals in a separate folder and edit the copy in Calibre according to my preferences.
I have a calibre library for the source/retail and a library for the books I have read/edited plan to read/edit.
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a calibre library for the source/retail and a library for the books I have read/edited plan to read/edit.
Recently I've started to put the original in the data folder of the book. I'm not going to bother doing this for books added to Calibre before data folders were a thing, as there are far too many for that.

Tags
kepub, kepubify