Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #31
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Cybook.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #32
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The wonderful thing about free enterprise and capitalism? We are all free to choose what works best for us.
The problem is that devices like the Kindle work wonderfully too us until something better comes along; then we find out that we can't migrate because of the DRM unless we want to rebuy all our books.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #33
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
I've only just ordered a Cybook so the answer is a Cybook, unless I don't like it for some reason. Which is unlikely as I want a reader with a 6 in screen and a good implementation of Mobipocket.
That is if I lost it now. Who knows what else will be available a year from now?
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #34
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Right now, I think it would be a replacement Cybook.
Next year, who knows, depending on the devices available.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And how would you do that? what thread have I missed?
I don't know what you mean? How what?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #36
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
While I'd not upgrade, if I lost my 505 such that I could claim something on insurance, I'd probably then go for a PRS-700... If not, then I'd consider a Cybook but would probably pay the extra to get a 505 - For a start, I find the clock on the Sony surprisingly useful!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #37
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
The problem is that devices like the Kindle work wonderfully too us until something better comes along; then we find out that we can't migrate because of the DRM unless we want to rebuy all our books.

--
Bill
Well, that depends on what you consider 'something better'.

Regardless of what type of book reader comes along, whether it allows all book formats, plays 'Yankee doodle dandy', free downloads of any book, I'll still have the hundreds of books on my Kindle to read anytime I choose. I'll only have one reader. Amazon stores all Kindle purchased books on their site........I store the rest on my laptop. So if they up grade, and I lose/break my reader, its a simple matter of re-downloading. True, I am staying with Amazon, but then I have a tendency to stick with something that works for me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #38
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Imagine you'd lose your ebook reader.
why would you say such a thing. Why the thought of it makes me want to
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #39
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Amazon stores all Kindle purchased books on their site.
Amazon doesn't "sell" Kindle eBooks. They license them.

Quote:
So if they up grade, and I lose/break my reader, its a simple matter of re-downloading.
Until they decide that they won't support the Kindle anymore. Then you are screwed. Just like the suckers who paid Amazon for DRMed PDFs and "purhased" videos that could only be viewed through Amazon.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Amazon doesn't "sell" Kindle eBooks. They license them.Well, somebody "sold" me the books! Lord knows my charge card reflects that!

Until they decide that they won't support the Kindle anymore. Then you are screwed. Just like the suckers who paid Amazon for DRMed PDFs and "purhased" videos that could only be viewed through Amazon.
Do you really think that will happen? I don't. Sometimes you just need to not worry about what 'might' happen. And again......no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. I think a lot of the 'anti-kindle' propaganda is because its not available world wide. Well, that will change. The potential profits are too large to ignore.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you really think that will happen? I don't. Sometimes you just need to not worry about what 'might' happen. And again......no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. I think a lot of the 'anti-kindle' propaganda is because its not available world wide. Well, that will change. The potential profits are too large to ignore.
Even still if that does happen it would be like cleaning out the book shelf. Since I don't re-read alot (yes a whole other thread) it wouldn't be to much a loss. But, I expect the odds of this happening are slimmer than the odds of my house flooding or buring down with all my books in it. (The former happened to me once already and the book store didn't just want to give me all new copies of the books I lost.)

BOb
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #42
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
While I agree at the current moment, it seems unlikely that Amazon will discontinue Kindle support, I would not say in the slightest that it is unlikely in the future. Consider the whole flap of Walmart deciding to discontinue its DRM servers. True they reversed their decision, but for a while there a lot of people who bought music from them were stuck with music that would not be transferable in the future (and still may not at some point in the future). I believe Yahoo did discontinue its support for the DRM'd music they sold.

Lets say that in 5 years the industry finally settles on ePub or something else as a standard and ultimately Amazon is forced to support it... how long do you think they are going to maintain support for Kindle formatted books? And what if Amazon actually goes bankrupt?

As for the flood or fire analogy; those acts of God and ultimately there is nothing you can do about them. A company deciding to no longer support a DRM'd format is not an act of God.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
While I agree at the current moment, it seems unlikely that Amazon will discontinue Kindle support, I would not say in the slightest that it is unlikely in the future. Consider the whole flap of Walmart deciding to discontinue its DRM servers. True they reversed their decision, but for a while there a lot of people who bought music from them were stuck with music that would not be transferable in the future (and still may not at some point in the future). I believe Yahoo did discontinue its support for the DRM'd music they sold.
But, I can still backup my full library to my PC and I can still use them on my Kindle. Nothing changes that. Even if Amazon went away. There is no need for the Kindle to phone home to read the books.

BOb
Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #44
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Amazon doesn't "sell" Kindle eBooks. They license them.
I agree. I say this as a happy Kindle-owner. I hope that Amazon can move the ebook industry towards DRM-free as they've helped to do with music, but as long as it has DRM on it, I don't consider myself as "buying" books. It's more a long-term lease. The combination of the price-point and the fact that I rarely read a book more than once makes this still work out in my favor compared to what I spent before.

I must admit, however, that I still feel conflicted about supporting the enterprise at all. While I do believe that Amazon ultimately wants to take things DRM-free and may help ebooks, I am also concerned that the industry will take the message from this that DRM is a good marketing model. Hopefully However, if we don't buy ebooks, they make take the message that ebooks aren't a good business, not that we don't want them infested with DRM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #45
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, I can still backup my full library to my PC and I can still use them on my Kindle. Nothing changes that. Even if Amazon went away. There is no need for the Kindle to phone home to read the books.

BOb
From experience we know that Amazon has stopped supporting a previous ebook business and they gave people a full year after notifying them to download their material. It's not ideal but I wouldn't feel entirely cheated by it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, ebook, lose, reader