Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
No it really couldn't. A modern good home computer with a beefy GPU can barely do it now with Mozilla DeepSpeech or one of the other options floating around. .
Rubbish. Don't use DeepSpeech.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #32
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Rubbish. Don't use DeepSpeech.
It's the same for other options like Kaldi. If you don't want a long delay processing your command you need a fast computer ideally with a good GPU. There's no good local option that could be done on the hardware inside a $30 Echo Dot. There just isn't.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2022, 11:23 AM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
This article: Trading Privacy for Convenience is nine years old now but still seems relevant (obviously it's missing the new ways we've chosen to donate our data):
Quote:
If the government demanded that we all carry tracking devices 24/7, we would rebel. Yet we all carry cell phones. If the government demanded that we deposit copies of all of our messages to each other with the police, we’d declare their actions unconstitutional. Yet we all use Gmail and Facebook messaging and SMS. If the government demanded that we give them access to all the photographs we take, and that we identify all of the people in them and tag them with locations, we’d refuse. Yet we do exactly that on Flickr and other sites.
Taken from the bottom of that short post is this link to a YouTube video from The Onion. Worth a look just for the laugh.

And why should you care? This 2008 article (also from Bruce Schneier) offers:
Quote:
There is no security without privacy. And liberty requires both security and privacy. The famous quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin reads: “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” It’s also true that those who would give up privacy for security are likely to end up with neither.

As I noted earlier, for me privacy is not so much about my personal need as it is the social impact. I want a society where privacy is the default, not one where privacy is a constant struggle.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #34
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
This article: Trading Privacy for Convenience is nine years old now but still seems relevant (obviously it's missing the new ways we've chosen to donate our data):

Taken from the bottom of that short post is this link to a YouTube video from The Onion. Worth a look just for the laugh.

And why should you care? This 2008 article (also from Bruce Schneier) offers:

As I noted earlier, for me privacy is not so much about my personal need as it is the social impact. I want a society where privacy is the default, not one where privacy is a constant struggle.

If you want something private don’t tell anyone. This has been true far before the internet ever existed. Nothing you’ve pulled from this article nor from this thread are mandated actions. You are free to partake in them as you wish, Facebook has options that allow you to dictate who can and can’t tag you. You can also always remove tags of yourself from your photos or others. Twitter needs to catch up on this feature. I can’t speak to the others mentioned.

And lest anyone here thinks local mom and pop shops don’t keep some sort of tabs on what you buy I’ve got a bridge to sell you (I promise I won’t keep track of which bridge you want or anything )
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
If you want something private don’t tell anyone. This has been true far before the internet ever existed. Nothing you’ve pulled from this article nor from this thread are mandated actions. You are free to partake in them as you wish, Facebook has options that allow you to dictate who can and can’t tag you. You can also always remove tags of yourself from your photos or others. Twitter needs to catch up on this feature. I can’t speak to the others mentioned.

And lest anyone here thinks local mom and pop shops don’t keep some sort of tabs on what you buy I’ve got a bridge to sell you (I promise I won’t keep track of which bridge you want or anything )
Moreover, using social media at all is not mandatory either. While I usually value convenience over privacy, I've not found Facebook, Twitter, Youtube etc particularly useful or convenient for me personally and so I seldom use them. I also feel no particular urge to constantly share the details of my personal life and my photos with random other people. Which doesn't mean I never do it; I just don't make a habit of it.

As to targeted ads etc, don't care. I use Adblock anyway and so see very few ads in general; ads via email get mostly archived unread, but occasionally I've found useful offers there. Not so much from Amazon or Google, but smaller stores I've bought things from. So I don't really mind.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #36
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Count me as one who is perfectly aware and doesn't care in the least.
Maybe you trust Amazon itself, but do you trust them to keep your info safe from others? That's my issue.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Maybe you trust Amazon itself, but do you trust them to keep your info safe from others? That's my issue.
It's not a matter of trust for me. I don't care if they spread my marketing data around. As far as personal information goes, it doesn't matter if one NEVER uses any of their whizbang doodads, they've already got your secure info (name, address, email, CC, etc...) if you buy anything from them. So yes. I trust Amazon to protect my secure details--as much as I'd trust any other major online retailer. And much more than I'd trust Bob's Anonymous Widget Emporium. But as far as marketing info/demographics (what I browse, buy, wish for, talk about in my neck of the woods)...? Nah... don't care who gets that.

I certainly feel safer by limiting my online purchasing to one well-known online retailer than I would if I had to shop 15 other online retailers just to be able to stick it to big, bad Amazon. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

I own a single jewelry store. I do use a POS System to keep track of my inventory, employees and customers. I do not sell their information nor use it except for store use. Warranties and purchase history mostly. I only use word of mouth for advertising and that keeps me extremely busy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:20 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want privacy, go live in a cave in the woods someplace. Otherwise, give it up, you can't win.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #40
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I own a single jewelry store. I do use a POS System to keep track of my inventory, employees and customers. I do not sell their information nor use it except for store use. Warranties and purchase history mostly. I only use word of mouth for advertising and that keeps me extremely busy.
Apache
Yes, you use it for in store use. I’d imagine one of those uses is seeing general trends in what’s selling. You’ll note I never said mom and pop stores sell your data just that they keep tabs on it.

Those so concerned with privacy don’t seem to be concerned about that, only when it’s an Amazon or Google or Apple doing it.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:40 PM   #41
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
^This.^ It is possible to have business collect only data needed to perform their service and then to discard or protect that data afterwards. But many people seem to have been convinced by big business that once they share their data with that business that the business is free to do whatever they want with it. That it's all or nothing. It does not have to be like that.

Software and online services can be written to offer privacy and security and convenience. Indeed there are some solutions growing out there (Vivaldi browser, ProtonMail and so on), but they struggle to help in an environment where the default is to collect private data.

That big business has people so convinced their way is the only way that many people have given up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want privacy, go live in a cave in the woods someplace. Otherwise, give it up, you can't win.
Their work is done. They have pacified the population so that most no longer expect any better. Great for them, it means that people believe them when they disclaim responsibility: "Aw shucks. You don't mind do you? After all, it was your choice to give it to us, you didn't have to do that."

It is possible for them to do better, but they will only bother to try if the demand is there.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #42
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
What "info"? I expect my credit card info to be kept secure. My address is public info. My phone number is no big secret. Everywhere I go I'm filmed, going in and leaving, and all points in between.

But my "info" about purchases? Random purchases of socks, shoes, shampoo, makeup, picture hangers, clothes hangers, coffee mugs, phone cases, iPad covers, etc?

I don't care who knows. Anymore than I care who knows what I buy at the local produce shop, or grocery store. If I get the occasional targeted ad or coupon, I don't care. The convenience of 21st century shopping outweighs any need I may thing I have of "privacy."

Keep my financials secure and private. If I do have items I need to buy "privately" I won't order it on Amazon.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
^This.^ It is possible to have business collect only data needed to perform their service and then to discard or protect that data afterwards. But many people seem to have been convinced by big business that once they share their data with that business that the business is free to do whatever they want with it. That it's all or nothing. It does not have to be like that.

Software and online services can be written to offer privacy and security and convenience. Indeed there are some solutions growing out there (Vivaldi browser, ProtonMail and so on), but they struggle to help in an environment where the default is to collect private data.

That big business has people so convinced their way is the only way that many people have given up:

Their work is done. They have pacified the population so that most no longer expect any better. Great for them, it means that people believe them when they disclaim responsibility: "Aw shucks. You don't mind do you? After all, it was your choice to give it to us, you didn't have to do that."

It is possible for them to do better, but they will only bother to try if the demand is there.
I need phone and address information in case I need to contact customers. I still get people who think I want their information to sell.
I have had people who have forgotten that I have their repair. Without phone or address I can not contact them. I have even had people give me fake phone number and address. I know this because I have had a few that did not pick up their repairs. Phone number is fake or someone else's. Send a letter and have it returned as nonexistent. Some people are just weird.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:45 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Again with the notion that us sheeple are being bamboozled by the corporate flim-flam men.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-30-2022 at 08:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #45
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:

You literally are quoting someone who, inadvertently, counters your claim. Small business collects data, and they use it. Your security has been compromised, and it didn't even take the internets to do it.

Again, your security was out the door long before the internet was a thing. Before anyone on this forum was born shop owners had clients information and used it. They may not sell it, but the information was out there.

So please, stop acting like Amazon/Apple/Google/Big Company are doing anything new, or anything that hasn't been done and is being done by small business. Also please stop with the "the populace has been pacified", it's no better than "stop wearing your tinfoil hat" which no one who disagrees with you has said of anyone who shares your opinion.