Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The Holocaust memoir, really.
Wow. FYI, the audiobook was a SYNC freebie a while back, so some of us may already have it. I haven't listened yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I loved the first one also and thought the second terrible; I was done at that point.
I also read the first Flavia de Luce book and liked it well enough, but for some reason I never continued with the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
As with Colfer, I'm intrigued by the Montefiore, as I've read and enjoyed some of his histories. And Mother Carey sounds like fun; more fun than Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, so I wonder why the latter is better known. As for AoGG, I read it so very many times that I still have it nearly memorized, decades later.
I haven't read Anne of Green Gables since I was a kid and don't remember it except in broad strokes; clearly it didn't capture my imagination at the time, but now? Who knows? I read My Side of the Mountain as an adult and didn't like it. I never read the Artemis Fowl books, but they're associated in my mind with Harry Potter, which is a negative for the author.

I'm surprised there are so few nominations so far.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #32
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Well, my daughter's choices do include Harry Potter, but only afterMy Side of the Mountain which is her all time favorite.
It's pretty good - I guess every kid has a fantasy about going off and living in the woods a la Robinson Crusoe. I did.

My daughter liked My Side of the Mountain too. So did I.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
It's pretty good - I guess every kid has a fantasy about going off and living in the woods a la Robinson Crusoe. I did.
Not me! City girl, through and through.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #34
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Well, my daughter's choices do include Harry Potter, but only afterMy Side of the Mountain which is her all time favorite. I don't think I have read it. Her other option was The Hiding Place. I need to do some searching on availability (but I don't expect any issues) before making a formal nomination.
I was going to nominate My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George but, again, it's not available in Kindle format, at least not in the US. Ugh.

I don't really want to read The Hiding Place and I promised I wouldn't nominate any Harry Potter , so when asked again she added The Chronicles of Narnia and Anne of Green Gables.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:32 AM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will nominate The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

Not only is it one of my eldest daughter's favorite books it is one of mine. This is also the first book that I ever read on my own. Well, my mother started reading it to me at bed time one chapter a night. After about 2 or 3 days that was unacceptable. I ended up finishing it on my own the next day. I've been hooked on reading ever since.

Amazon US | Kobo US | Goodreads, also available on Overdrive at select libraries

Quote:
Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.
Recently this book has been called the second book in the Chronicles of Narnia but it was the first published book. And more to the point, it is a much better read than the chronologically first book The Magician's Nephew.

Last edited by issybird; 04-06-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2019, 12:48 AM   #36
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Well, that could be fun, as I have never read any of that series.

I second The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:58 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I will nominate The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

Not only is it one of my eldest daughter's favorite books it is one of mine. This is also the first book that I ever read on my own. Well, my mother started reading it to me at bed time one chapter a night. After about 2 or 3 days that was unacceptable. I ended up finishing it on my own the next day. I've been hooked on reading ever since.

Amazon US | Kobo US | Goodreads, also available on Overdrive at select libraries

Recently this book has been called the second book in the Chronicles of Narnia but it was the first published book. And more to the point, it is a much better read than the chronologically first book The Magician's Nephew.
This is public domain in Canada and other Life+50 countries, so available from FadedPage.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 AM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I will second Airman. It looks interesting, and is reasonably inexpensive, which is good because it isn't available at either of my libraries.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 AM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will third the Narnia series. Definitely “the second book” is a better pick than The Magician’s Nephew.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 AM   #40
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm nominating One Night in Winter (2014) by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

Amazon US, $8.49

Kobo US, $8.49
Kobo Canada, $10.99 CAD
Kobo Australia, $12.99 AUD
Kobo New Zealand, $18.39 NZD
Kobo UK, £5.49

Audiobook available. E-book and audiobook can be borrowed through Overdrive, Hoopla, and Scribd.
You do realize that this book is the third book in the series, Moscow Trilogy? The first was a book called 'Sashenka'. I've read the whole series, quite good. Sashenka is about a you girl with aristocratic parents whose uncle is a communist. She gets caught up in the Russian Revolution (knowingly) and highly influenced by her uncle. She becomes a dyed-in-the-wool communist.

Red Sky at Noon, the second book, is also quite good, but doesn't fit the category. The first does, however.

Last edited by drofgnal; 04-04-2019 at 05:41 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
You do realize that this book is the third book in the series, Moscow Trilogy? The first was a book called 'Sashenka'. I've read the whole series, quite good. Sashenka is about a you girl with aristocratic parents whose uncle is a communist. She gets caught up in the Russian Revolution (knowingly) and highly influenced by her uncle. She becomes a dyed-in-the-wool communist.

Red Sky at Noon, the second book, is also quite good, but doesn't fit the category. The first does, however.
Fantastic Fiction and other sources show One Night in Winter as the second book in trilogy. When I researched it before nominating, I got the strong impression that the three books shared the same setting and general time period, but were otherwise unrelated. Is that not the case?

I considered Sashenka but rejected it for this category based the description of the book starting with a 16-year-old and then jumping ahead 20 years--that seemed to give it a different focus. Plus I was more intrigued by the story line of One Night.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #42
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Fantastic Fiction and other sources show One Night in Winter as the second book in trilogy. When I researched it before nominating, I got the strong impression that the three books shared the same setting and general time period, but were otherwise unrelated. Is that not the case?

I considered Sashenka but rejected it for this category based the description of the book starting with a 16-year-old and then jumping ahead 20 years--that seemed to give it a different focus. Plus I was more intrigued by the story line of One Night.
I've seen it both as second and third. From a timeline perspective, Sashenka is prerevolution through the revolution. Yes, she does become and adult later in the book. I don't remember the final time frame of the book, but Stalin was in charge at the end, so that puts in at least to the start of his reign. Red Sky at noon takes place in WWII. The protagonist is a man who had an affair with Sashenka in the first book. She doesn't appear and it can be read independently. He's in the Siberian work camps and applies to be in a division of criminals along the southern front as Hitler approaches Stalingrad. One night in Winter is post WWII. Benya Golden, the central character from book Red Sky at Noon, now teaches literature in Moscow at the elite school all the top communists send their kids. (He's earned his forgiveness. It sure is alot about the kids, but I'm still not sure it fits the category.

Last edited by drofgnal; 04-05-2019 at 05:20 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I've seen it both as second and third. From a timeline perspective, Sashenka is prerevolution throught the revolution. Yes, she does become and adult later in the book. I don't remember the final time frame of the book, but Stalin was in charge at the end, so that puts in at least to the start of his reign. Red Sky at noon takes place in WWII. The protagonist is a man who had an affair with Sashenka in the first book. She doesn't appear and it can be read independently. He's in the Siberian work camps and applies to be in a division of criminals along the southern front as Hitler approaches Stalingrad. One nite in Winter is post WWII. Benya Golden, the central character from book Red Sky at Noon, now teaches literature in Moscow at the elite school all the top communists send their kids. (He's earned his forgiveness. It sure is alot about the kids, but I'm still not sure it fits the category.
I'm confused. I thought your concern was that my nomination wasn't the first book of the series. But now you think it doesn't fit the category even though it's about young people? I haven't read it; I'm going off the blurbs. But if the focus is children and teenagers, why doesn't it fit?
Old 04-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #44
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I agree with this statement. I adored the first one. .....You should give the books a try, Victoriia. Especially if you like precocious young lady detectives with a mind for science.
I do and I think I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I guess every kid has a fantasy about going off and living in the woods a la Robinson Crusoe. I did.
Yes, our favourite pastime was making forts in the woods, burning bread and potatoes over an open fire, and spending the night outside. Kids could have so much more freedom in the good old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I will second Airman. It looks interesting, and is reasonably inexpensive, which is good because it isn't available at either of my libraries.
I think this is actually a third for Airman

[QUOTE=

Last edited by Victoria; 04-04-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #45
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
For my 3rd vote, I’m going to nominate A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle.

It’s a book I’ve always loved, and I think could be interesting to discuss. You’re all probably be familiar with it already, but this is a short description from Goodreads:

“Out of this wild night, a strange visitor comes to the Murry house and beckons Meg, her brother Charles Wallace, and their friend Calvin O'Keefe on a most dangerous and extraordinary adventure - one that will threaten their lives and our universe.

Winner of the 1963 Newbery Medal, A Wrinkle in Time is the first book in Madeleine L'Engle's classic Time Quintet.”

It seems to be available from all the usual sources. In terms of costs:
Kobo:$11 AUD; $14 NZD $8 Cdn; $7 US; £2UK; sorry, it seems a bit high in New Zealand, but I’m not really familiar yet with how prices compare with Cdn.

Kindle: $8 CDN; $7 US; £2 UK; $11 AUD; I’m sorry but I couldn’t check the New Zealand kindle price - Amazon kept recognizing me and booting me back to my store! Infuriating!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote