Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What needs to be done to use RMSDK 11.x? Whatever it is, Pocketbook are doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It probably relates to changes made by Kobo in their original implementation of RMSDK and the complexities of migrating them to a new code base.
Does prioritizing KePub also have something to do with Kobo staying at RMDSK 10?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:21 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I understand. The Kobo software is more sophisticated. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just saying why (personally) I like the PocketBook software better, mostly because of the way it handles ePub DRM on its own. I do download ePubs to my PocketBook (via its browser), but I do it mostly because I can and I like to try it out. But even when I don't download directly to the device, Send-to-PocketBook or just dropping the .ascm file into the PocketBook via the USB cable seems simpler to me.
I never read DRMed files on my ereaders. Every ebook I buy gets disinfected immediately, and I load it on my devices only after that. The main reason for this is editing the formatting. I don't want to constantly fiddle with the settings on my ereaders, so I fix the formatting in Calibre first. And for that the DRM must be removed. So for me any DRM handling on the device is not necessary at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I never read DRMed files on my ereaders. Every ebook I buy gets disinfected immediately, and I load it on my devices only after that. The main reason for this is editing the formatting. I don't want to constantly fiddle with the settings on my ereaders, so I fix the formatting in Calibre first. And for that the DRM must be removed. So for me any DRM handling on the device is not necessary at all.
I understand, but (unless the formatting is horrible) I don't DeDRM library books I borrow via Overdrive. And, until the DeASCM plugin for Calibre, I had no way to DeDRM ePubs at all in Linux (never could get ADE to work in Wine). So I mostly bought books from Amazon and converted them to ePub. That's why I got to like my Tolinos and PocketBooks so much, they gave me more options. Even now I don't DeDRM some of my eBooks I buy if I read on the PocketBooks. I don't spend a lot of time organizing my library either. So, being able to download an .ascm file and read it directly on the device appeals to me. It will probably end up biting me on the rump at some point but I'm not overly worried about it at my age.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:05 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What needs to be done to use RMSDK 11.x? Whatever it is, Pocketbook are doing it.
You mean beyond what I stated in my post? Honestly, that should tell you all you need to know. Of course, there are probably other things but they are probably small compared to the issues around signing the software and the rules Adobe have about this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:28 AM   #35
E-guest
E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E-guest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I understand. The Kobo software is more sophisticated. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just saying why (personally) I like the PocketBook software better, mostly because of the way it handles ePub DRM on its own. I do download ePubs to my PocketBook (via its browser), but I do it mostly because I can and I like to try it out. But even when I don't download directly to the device, Send-to-PocketBook or just dropping the .ascm file into the PocketBook via the USB cable seems simpler to me. The PocketBooks are also less finicky about side-loaded fonts. And battery life is considerably better than on my Kobos. Probably because the default behavior for the PocketBook is to turn itself off completely instead of going into sleep mode.

The buttons on the Eras are right on the edge. I'm not sure how that's going to work out. It looks like it has four buttons (like their other touch screen readers). In the picture I've attached you can barely make out the buttons as the darker strip along the right edge. (Very thin buttons.)
I agree with you on this point (by the way, PocketBook devices allow you to use multiple Adobe DRM accounts at the same time), although I am not a PocketBook Reader enthusiast. It is a simple reading programme, limited in customisation options, but at least it allows you to customise margins and line spacing to the millimetre (by editing a couple of files). I only use it for DRM ePub, and it does its job well. For non-DRM ePub I prefer to use KOReader, which works relatively well although with some peculiarities that may be annoying for some users.

Of course, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to evaluating an e-reader. The features I like most about PocketBook devices are the ease of sending e-books to the device, the battery life, the page turning and multifunction keys, a good library, the integration of KOReader into the PocketBook interface, but above all that they have a 0-100 brightness and colour temperature setting. I like to customise the illumination of my devices as much as possible. If the PocketBook Era has uniform illumination I will buy it for sure.
E-guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2022, 02:35 AM   #36
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
I understand. The Kobo software is more sophisticated. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just saying why (personally) I like the PocketBook software better, mostly because of the way it handles ePub DRM on its own. I do download ePubs to my PocketBook (via its browser), but I do it mostly because I can and I like to try it out. But even when I don't download directly to the device, Send-to-PocketBook or just dropping the .ascm file into the PocketBook via the USB cable seems simpler to me. The PocketBooks are also less finicky about side-loaded fonts. And battery life is considerably better than on my Kobos. Probably because the default behavior for the PocketBook is to turn itself off completely instead of going into sleep mode.

The buttons on the Eras are right on the edge. I'm not sure how that's going to work out. It looks like it has four buttons (like their other touch screen readers). In the picture I've attached you can barely make out the buttons as the darker strip along the right edge. (Very thin buttons.)
I agree with you on this point (by the way, PocketBook devices allow you to use multiple Adobe DRM accounts at the same time), although I am not a PocketBook Reader enthusiast. It is a simple reading programme, limited in customisation options, but at least it allows you to customise margins and line spacing to the millimetre (by editing a couple of files). I only use it for DRM ePub, and it does its job well. For non-DRM ePub I prefer to use KOReader, which works relatively well although with some peculiarities that may be annoying for some users.

Of course, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to evaluating an e-reader. The features I like most about PocketBook devices are the ease of sending e-books to the device, the battery life, the page turning and multifunction keys, a good library, the integration of KOReader into the PocketBook interface, but above all that they have a 0-100 brightness and colour temperature setting. I like to customise the illumination of my devices as much as possible. If the PocketBook Era has uniform illumination I will buy it for sure.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:20 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You mean beyond what I stated in my post? Honestly, that should tell you all you need to know. Of course, there are probably other things but they are probably small compared to the issues around signing the software and the rules Adobe have about this.
There's a reason people are switching from Adobe for Photoshop, video editing, PDF creation, PDF viewing (technically still free), ebook creation etc. They are now an awkward company to deal with and also only want to "rent" (perpetual licence subscription).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:50 AM   #38
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
According to the German site, there is no microSD slot in the Era.
The official press release didn't mention microSD.

I found this on one of the official renderings, s. picture. It looks like a slot for a microSD, but maybe you can just open the device there.

We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	150
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	194146  
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
The official press release didn't mention microSD.

I found this on one of the official renderings, s. picture. It looks like a slot for a microSD, but maybe you can just open the device there.

We'll see.
Good eyes. That does look like a microSD slot. For the sake of those who need them, I hope it is.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

PocketBook has released an Era video on YouTube. It doesn't look like there's any new information there. You can see the buttons, however, and it looks like there's going to be magnetically attached case (like the Oasis).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-07-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:32 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I see where "good" e reader took the above video, framed it in their own advertising and called it a "First Look." Just no shame.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:57 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I see where "good" e reader took the above video, framed it in their own advertising and called it a "First Look." Just no shame.
That is a new low for them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That is a new low for them.
Yeah, one of many.

I should mention that, at first, I just linked the YouTube video (above) and then I thought, "Uh, oh, JSWolf is going to rake me over the coals for not embedding it" — so, after about three or four shots at it, I finally remembered how this was done. Even senile old dogs can learn new tricks... sort of. They may not remember them the next time, though.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The video shows a weakness of the Pocketbook design. They guy never holds the reader 'correctly'. What I mean is that the Oasis and Libra are designed with the thought that they will be held on the wide edge with buttons within thumb reach, so you can hold the reader and turn pages with the same hand.

The Era doesn't follow that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The video shows a weakness of the Pocketbook design. They guy never holds the reader 'correctly'. What I mean is that the Oasis and Libra are designed with the thought that they will be held on the wide edge with buttons within thumb reach, so you can hold the reader and turn pages with the same hand.

The Era doesn't follow that.
Personnaly, I use it (a Forma) the wrong way. I tend to to hold it with one hand and turn pages with the other hand (when I'm not using a stand).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote