Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Let me clarify my "solidly proof-read". As tompe said, these novels have actually been proofread before, so this is about looking and eliminating OCR errors. After (legally) scanning about 100 novels in the past six years, I tend to know my "usual suspects" errorwise. This speeds up progress quite a lot.

And "solidly" means "sufficient for an illegal version". Nobody in the eBookz scene expects a copy without errors, though even there the self-imposed standard is relatively high, at least among the active German scene.
Fair enough; my standard of proof-reading (for the things that are important to me, like my Dickens novels) is "every comma in the right place" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #32
barnacle
Enthusiast
barnacle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Fair enough; my standard of proof-reading (for the things that are important to me, like my Dickens novels) is "every comma in the right place" .
And why would you want anything less?

Mind you it gets complicated: I, for example, am going through some serious hoops simply to try and automatically remove hyphen... it's not as straight-forward as it seems, and it's arguable (from the point of view of an OCR program) that they should remain in their original position. But I want the little devils out!

What I want:
- All words the right word
- All words spelled correctly
- All words in the original case and properly capitalised
- All punctuation marks (English style - I'll worry about other scripts some other time!) present and correct
- All hyphens removed

What I don't want:
- Font size or style information (that's a job for the display device)
- Layout specifications (so's that)
- Lines between each carriage return (save as a scene break marker)
- Carriage returns at the end of each line (what were you *thinking*, Gutenberg?)
- Page numbers
- Titles, periodical name, author's name, or other page matter
- Illustrations

In brief, I want a structured document, not a formatted one.

Neil
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why don't you want illustrations? They can enormously enhance the book, to my mind. The original illustrations by "Phiz" that most Dickens novels have, for example, make it so much easier to "picture" Victorian life, as it was, than do the words alone. They are just as much a part of the book as is the text, to my mind.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #34
barnacle
Enthusiast
barnacle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Pocket
A matter of taste, I suppose. I agree; the Phiz illustrations are in and of themselves exquisite, but I don't want them in a text stream as a general principle.

That said - most of what I want to transcribe doesn't contain pictures, and I find in my favourite genre - science fiction - that the pictures distract me rather than enhance the experience. I find often the same disjunct as one gets seeing a favourite book performed as a play or on TV; you get the *director's* internal image of the book and if it doesn't tie with your internalised image, it jars.

As I said, a personal taste; other's mileage may vary and far be it from me to constrain or instruct them.

Neil
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, no, I'm certainly not disputing your right to have a personal choice in the matter - just curious as to what your reasoning was .
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Why don't you want illustrations? They can enormously enhance the book, to my mind. The original illustrations by "Phiz" that most Dickens novels have, for example, make it so much easier to "picture" Victorian life, as it was, than do the words alone. They are just as much a part of the book as is the text, to my mind.

Agreed, but they can open another copyright "can of worms". Example, Frank Pape' did wonderful illustrations for James Branch Cabell books in the 1920's. But he died 20 years later than Cabell. In life + countries, they become PD later than the text....

Last edited by Greg Anos; 01-03-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, as you say, the illustrations have their own, separate, copyright.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
SInce there are different editions of books how can define a correct version?

And if you are proof-reading it against a specific version I hope you add this information to the ebook. I find that this is the information I often miss when reading an ebook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #39
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
And how many times was it borrowed from libraries for free? I would be willing to guess that number was at least 100,000, if not more!
Libraries lending a copy is not the same as copying your paper book into a digital version and allowing it to be downloaded many many times.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #40
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
Woooah, proofread is not as easy as it seems, trust me. Especially if you don't actually read the book while doing it. On the other hand most people don't even notice mistakes in ebooks and would read a terrible scan as long as it's full and free.
I suspect it depends on the nature of the mistake, the type of book, and the attention of the reader. Most people probably read right through typos, for instance - but my wife wouldn't. Other kinds of errors, affecting the sense of the sentence, would seem to me to be harder to overlook.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Libraries lending a copy is not the same as copying your paper book into a digital version and allowing it to be downloaded many many times.
Right, but it could still be somewhat equated with the nebulous "lost sales."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #42
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Not only mine, I suspect!
But it's a nice thought. As long as I don't read them until copyright expires, I'm not really doing anything illegal am I?
Damn, man, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. Read them now! Otherwise, you have merely wasted bandwidth...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Right, but it could still be somewhat equated with the nebulous "lost sales."
Of course, but just like with the illegal downloading, it's not one-for-one. There are quite a few people who use the library who simply can't afford to buy many books. Not everyone who borrowed the book from the library would have bought it new had it not been available through their library. Many would likely have waited for a price drop, bought the paper copy used or borrowed it from a friend. Not every ebook fan is ebook-only like I am. Plus, some people may have read it simply because it was available. They may not have gone looking for that title in particular but considered it because it was available for loan. If they couldn't borrow the book, they might rather read other books they didn't have to purchase, like Public Domain or illegally downloaded material. Still, I think many publishers likely regard providing titles to the library as good corporate citizenship even though they know it will lose them some sales. Can you imagine the PR cost of not doing so?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #44
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Gutenberg is doing Astounding (Analog) from the start of the Clayton years. So far they have got 1930 and part of 1931...
A minor nit. Distributed Proofreaders has been doing this and contributing them to Project Gutenberg. In addition to the 1930s, some of the magazines from the 1950s and 1960s were not renewed, and most, if not all of the PD stories from the latter years have already been processed by DP and released to PG.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #45
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
A minor nit. Distributed Proofreaders has been doing this and contributing them to Project Gutenberg. In addition to the 1930s, some of the magazines from the 1950s and 1960s were not renewed, and most, if not all of the PD stories from the latter years have already been processed by DP and released to PG.

My apologies.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote