Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #31
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
my books

1) how many e-books have you purchased total (all sources)?
over 280

2) how many e-books have you purchased via Connect?
1 by accident - my issue w/ connect is I hate the interface, it is sooooooo slow. I find it very difficult to browse. Most of my books (99%) come from fictionwise - I find the site fairly fast to browse, I like how it shows new releases in various categories. I like the user ratings. I typically buy books by browsing - as much as a site can replicate the "feeling" of being in a book store and wandering the aisles, I am more likely to buy books.

3) What kind of books are you buying?

SF, mainstream (koonz, king, shreve), religious - Catholic specifically and classics like from Chesterton - I wish C. S. Lewis' books were available.

4) How many new books verse e-copies of books you already have?

Sorry - I don't get the question - I don't buy paper books at all.

5) How many backlist (i.e. older) books do you have, and by who?

I don't buy new e-books because of the price, so most all of mine are over a year old - but they may be new releases from Fictionwise.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
I got 40 classics through Connect because they were free, and also because they were convenient to download and already optimally formatted for my Sony reader. I got T.S. Eliot, Locke, Shakespeare, Malory, Lewis Carroll, Oscar Wilde, Emerson, Thoreau, Poe, Machiavelli, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells. Many of these I have in print, some of which I've never cracked.

- The Inspector
Unless they've drastically improved from the way they were when I had my Reader, the classics on Connect are a very long way from being "optimally formatted for the Sony Reader" . I think you'll find that the versions you can download from MR are, generally speaking, far better formatted than the Sony versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #33
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless they've drastically improved from the way they were when I had my Reader, the classics on Connect are a very long way from being "optimally formatted for the Sony Reader" . I think you'll find that the versions you can download from MR are, generally speaking, far better formatted than the Sony versions.
I agree with Harry on this one! After I first got my reader, I downloaded quite a few of the classics from the Sony Connect store. I've since replaced them with copies from this site. In every case, the books at MR take up much less room, load significantly faster, and IMHO are much better laid out (margin width, etc.).

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #34
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Oh thank you people for making feel better ! I was feeling ashamed of having 94 books in my Fictionwise account (and I have $355.11 in Micropay).

Fictionwise: 94 (including 1 free one)
Amazon: 31 (including 3 free ones)

I refuse to buy more books until I finish those. I calculate 3-4 years Micropay and 100% Micropay books are fair game though.

I usually buy every single 100% Micropay book Fictionwise has.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #35
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I have bought 61 books from the Sony Connect store (and not come across a badly formatted one yet - I must be lucky). Mainly Sci-Fi - Star Wars books account for almost half, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, a bunch of Discworld books plus Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" novels, some Mario Puzo, Stephen Fry, and a couple of Stephen King (The Talisman and Black House)

I've bought 3 so far from Fictionwise (another half a dozen on my wish list)

I already have about half the books as paperback.

Last edited by Gravitas; 10-15-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #36
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks for the tip, Harry. I'll check it out.

Sorry for what may be a remedial question, but what's "MR"?

- The Inspector
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #37
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
Sorry for what may be a remedial question, but what's "MR"?

- The Inspector
This very forum. MobileRead.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
And books formatted for the Sony Reader can be found on MobileRead here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
This very forum. MobileRead.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #39
Jer
Jer doesn't litterJer doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
As of right now I've bought 54 books via connect, though several are compilations. (The Final Dance Trilogy, The Sword of Shannara Trilogy, the Captain's Table Omnibus) Total ebooks I've purchased is probably closer to 200. Back when Amazon sold Ebooks I filled out my Star Trek collection, which since Amazon pulled their support for the books I've recompiled as Ereader format.

As for types of books, I prefer Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Thrillers. I do a lot of reading during night shifts at work.

For the most part, I only buy ebooks now. My only exception is to complete series of books I already own (Brisingr to work on my Inheritance Cycle), or books that aren't available in electronic format. (Harry Potter, Brave Story)

As for older books, pretty much anything I can get my hands on. I cycle my reader's content pretty regularly.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #40
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have purchased but two books. That's all I have.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #41
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
I have purchased but two books. That's all I have.
I bought two today - does that count?

Currently it's 179 from Baen (single titles), 168 from Fictionwise, 5 from BoB, and 2 from CyberReads.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #42
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505

About fifty to sixty this year. All from Baen's site.

Zero

Sci-Fi / Fantasy

80% of my collection so far are e-copies of stuff I already own. (In fact, I'm slowly throwing out old rag-eared paper copies.)

I tend to mostly read older books.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #43
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
1) 0.
2) Have not purchased any - but have downloaded about 50 Classics that I got free with my 505.
3) A lot a classics that either (1) I've never read or (2) haven't read since high school. They're tending to lean towards adventure/thriller/Shakespeare.
4) No new - everything I've downloaded has been available on other sources.
5) Everything I've downloaded from Connect - it's been all classics so far.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #44
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Paperwhite Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Approximately 100, all from Baen. The number is only approximate because in my Baen bookshelf some of the books are from the Free Library, some titles which I only counted once are for multi-volume books, and some titles are listed in the old style where they grouped all the books for the month together in one listing.

I only buy from Baen because they offer DRM-free formats.

Quote:
None, because of DRM.

Quote:
Military science fiction, because I buy from Baen and that's what they offer.

Quote:
Mostly new books, because Baen focuses on current books.

Quote:
I have some backlist books because Baen has been reprinting them lately. Don't know the number, but I have backlist books from Jerry Pournelle, Leigh Brackett, Poul Anderson, L. Spague DeCamp, Gordon Dickson, David Drake, Keith Laumer, Howard Myers, Andre Norton, Fred Saberhagen, James Schmitz, and A.E. Van Vogt.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #45
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
* From Baen/Webscriptions: 2 books, one was an omnibus edition of a fantasy trilogy
Well, that's old info. In the past 2 weeks, I've gone crazy at Webscriptions:
* The Pournelle Continuum -- consisting of 10 novels by Jerry Pournelle
* October 2008 Webscription -- 8 novels
* December 2000 Webscription -- 5 novels
* Herris Serrano -- 3 novels by Elizabeth Moon

So, from the original 4 books, I've sprung to 30!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote