Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2024, 03:02 AM   #31
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Maybe B&N is doubling down on its rejection of the concept of digital ownership. You have no rights(.xml)!
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 06:52 AM   #32
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Odd that I didn't get a rights.xml at all.
Maybe you unintentionally tried to de-DRM it, the process failed and it deleted rights.xml and encryption.xml while leaving it all encrypted. The fact that the bad file has useless compression on everything indicates something wrong. If it thought that it had decrypted the chapters then Zip compression would have been useful. Still, the images are compressed which never makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeYellow View Post
The point is that indicates a new key encryption.
Ok, but let's look at this logically.
It's possible that B&N wants to do new encryption.
Then they must either enable some option in existing software or issue new software.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2024, 07:02 AM   #33
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yes, I imported into Calibre which automatically runs DeDRM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 07:32 AM   #34
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I imported into Calibre which automatically runs DeDRM.
And it didn't find that XML attribute which left it confused.
So it said, "this isn't encrypted" and deleted the two XML files.

Do you still have a copy of the original file anywhere?
Could you try a standalone decoder, ineptepub.py
That doesn't actually look for the XML attribute passHash, just a 64 char encryptionKey.

Last edited by Renate; 06-02-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:02 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm seeing a DeDRM failure after re-downloading a book from the Nook app:

Attachment 208638

I'll be looking to deleting my B&N account. Useless to me now.
On the computer that has the nook Windows Store app installed, I was able to download some eBooks and they did not have the DRM removed.

I installed the latest DeDRM alpha release that computer and those two eBooks were then able to have the DRM removed. I saved the key file and was able to import it into the calibre I use most and it works to remove the DRM. So really, there's no reason not to be able to remove the DRM from B&NB ePub as long as you are using Windows 10 64-bit and have the nook Windows Store app installed.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...947bf338d3ffda

That's the URL for the latest alpha release. It could someday change.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-02-2024 at 09:17 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2024, 10:23 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...I installed the latest DeDRM alpha release that computer and those two eBooks were then able to have the DRM removed. I saved the key file and was able to import it into the calibre I use most and it works to remove the DRM. So really, there's no reason not to be able to remove the DRM from B&NB ePub as long as you are using Windows 10 64-bit and have the nook Windows Store app installed.
I haven't bought any new books from B&N, but the last I checked DeDRM still worked in Linux (I had to get the books via the B&N app on Windows 10, however).

I probably won't buy any more eBooks from B&N. I'm tired of their shenanigans.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 01:17 PM   #37
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
I'm seeing a DeDRM failure after re-downloading a book from the Nook app:

Attachment 208638

I'll be looking to deleting my B&N account. Useless to me now.
Yes, this is what I am getting. Back to Kobo or Amazon for purchases. Oh well. I should have known it was too good to be true.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #38
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
After redownloading the same titles, I find there is a right and proper 'rights.xml' that works as expected with the existing DeDRM tools.

I can only speculate that some servers were generating corrupted key material.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:00 PM   #39
Renate
Wizard

We still haven't gotten at TRUTH.
Is the whole deal that B&N (intentionally or accidentally) dropped an XML attribute and it broke some 3rd party de-DRM?
There are plenty of reasons to hate B&N but without knowing the root of it it's unfair to add this.
Does anybody have complaints that something recently changed when using stock B&N components?
Old 06-02-2024, 02:27 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Yes, this is what I am getting. Back to Kobo or Amazon for purchases. Oh well. I should have known it was too good to be true.
You can remove the DRM. What version of calibre are you using? If you can install the alpha of DeDRM, you can remove the DRM. The alpha version is basically 10.0.9+.

When I updated DeDRM on the computer that has the nook app, I was then able to remove the new DRM no problem. After that, I saved the new key and imported that into DeDRM on the laptop and that worked for removing B&N DRM as well. So I'm good to go.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:29 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
We still haven't gotten at TRUTH.
Is the whole deal that B&N (intentionally or accidentally) dropped an XML attribute and it broke some 3rd party de-DRM?
There are plenty of reasons to hate B&N but without knowing the root of it it's unfair to add this.
Does anybody have complaints that something recently changed when using stock B&N components?
The truth is, the eBook's I downloaded do have that XML file and yes, I am able to remove the DRM. It did not break DeDRM. All you needed to do is make sure you have the latest version of DeDRM. That's what works for me.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:46 PM   #42
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The truth is, the eBook's I downloaded do have that XML file and yes, I am able to remove the DRM. It did not break DeDRM. All you needed to do is make sure you have the latest version of DeDRM. That's what works for me.
I experienced the same, it works as usual.

However, the Windows for NOOK application had trouble syncing my library and getting the new eBooks, so it is best to assume it they will prevent the app from connecting and downloading one's library very soon.

If I had a gift card, I would use it immediately and stop purchasing eBooks from BN. Full stop.

Encourage gift cards from Google Play or Kobo, if a gift giver insists on a gift card in lieu of something else.

It's not a lot, but I have just over 600 purchased eBooks and I don't want to jump through hoops anymore to read them on my preferred devices. I try to buy them without DRM from publishers who offer that or from Google Play.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:48 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
I experienced the same, it works as usual.

However, the Windows for NOOK application had trouble syncing my library and getting the new eBooks, so it is best to assume it they will prevent the app from connecting and downloading one's library very soon.

If I had a gift card, I would use it immediately and stop purchasing eBooks from BN. Full stop.

Encourage gift cards from Google Play or Kobo, if a gift giver insists on a gift card in lieu of something else.

It's not a lot, but I have just over 600 purchased eBooks and I don't want to jump through hoops anymore to read them on my preferred devices. I try to buy them without DRM from publishers who offer that or from Google Play.
I have no idea what happens with new books as I've not purchased in a while. But if I was looking to find out, I'd find a free eBook and buy that and try to download it. If it worked, I'd then go ahead and purchase.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:53 PM   #44
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
And it didn't find that XML attribute which left it confused.
So it said, "this isn't encrypted" and deleted the two XML files.

Do you still have a copy of the original file anywhere?
Could you try a standalone decoder, ineptepub.py
That doesn't actually look for the XML attribute passHash, just a 64 char encryptionKey.
Unfortunately, I uninstalled the Nook app shortly after the initial failure, which deleted all the downloads from appdata.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately, I uninstalled the Nook app shortly after the initial failure, which deleted all the downloads from appdata.
That's a shame since it still works and DRM can be removed.