Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 10.53%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 8 8.42%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 5.26%
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens 11 11.58%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 17 17.89%
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas 10 10.53%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 12 12.63%
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 16 16.84%
Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain 5 5.26%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does this grab you? We could listen to both.
Simultaniously? That would blow my mind. Lol
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hrrmm, what to do vote for? I really want to read both "Wuthering Heights" and "The Woman in White." I may have to sit back for a little and see where the poll takes us before voting
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hrrmm, what to do vote for? I really want to read both "Wuthering Heights" and "The Woman in White." I may have to sit back for a little and see where the poll takes us before voting
Why? I don't understand that. Perhaps from now on I should make the poll hidden until it is closed so people vote for what they want to read... and not based on the current votes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #34
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I voted for the Woman in White. I have been wanting to read it since last year. The length of the book doesn't bother me.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #35
blackmorehouse
blackmorehouse began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
book club vote Dec 2010

So many choices......Woman in White please
blackmorehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #36
GA Russell
Wpg, Edm, Ham now 0-4
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why? I don't understand that. Perhaps from now on I should make the poll hidden until it is closed so people vote for what they want to read... and not based on the current votes.

BOb
I wouldn't mind trying that once. It would take some of the fun out of the process, I think, but then it would be extra interesting when the tally is revealed!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #37
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think hiding the poll would be a good idea. It would prevent some of the heavy-handed lobbying we've seen in recent months.

It's not a big deal to me either way. If the winning book isn't one I want to read, I just bow out of participating that month.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 11-23-2010 at 12:57 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #38
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I wish!

I, like many others here, don't even finish work till the 24th!
I would have worked through Christmas, as I've done every year, since I started working in Disability... except this year I'm on Jury Duty for 3 weeks, finishing 26/12
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #39
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I work on Christmas every year as well as Thanksgiving, New Year, etc. etc. etc.

TV never stops *sigh*
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #40
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
How come I can see who voted for what before i vote, but I can't after I vote? I voted for Room with a View.

Oh Derr! I just worked it out!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #41
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Musical War of the Worlds?? LOL, that would be different!!
Even better, it's disco! (Sort of a combination of progressive rock and disco, anyway)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #42
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Walden, especially now with the Tea Party Movement, the Transcendentalists are more important to revisit than ever...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A Lot of people probably have a lot of free time coming up (what with all the holidays and all), so vote for the Count of Monte Cristo, it's nice and long.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was really hoping Wuthering Heights would do well. But, no go. I also have been wanting to read Of Mice and Men although I don't think this has hit PD yet... has it?

BOb
Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A Lot of people probably have a lot of free time coming up (what with all the holidays and all), so vote for the Count of Monte Cristo, it's nice and long.
It is a great book. Really good start... slows down a bit in the middle... but picks back up as you figure out who all the new characters are.

...and as I said in the other thread, there is already a discussion thread about it... so feel free to read if it doesn't win and add your thoughts to the thread.

BOb