Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #31
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
accidentally getting cereal on it are at least things I could see happening, but the others almost seem like dares.
For me, it was spilling a pint of Guinness on my Kindle....to this day I don't know if I was more upset about the possible demise of my Kindle or the absolute demise of my beer! Oh, the pain!!! Luckily, the Kindle survived, though with a mild pub-like odor. Oh, and while I was running to get something to mop it up, yes I did catch my dog licking the beer off of my Kindle!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #32
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
amazon should do a kindle commercial using their own lighted covers
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #33
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
For me, it was spilling a pint of Guinness on my Kindle....to this day I don't know if I was more upset about the possible demise of my Kindle or the absolute demise of my beer! Oh, the pain!!! Luckily, the Kindle survived, though with a mild pub-like odor. Oh, and while I was running to get something to mop it up, yes I did catch my dog licking the beer off of my Kindle!
Guinness, was it? Well, that won't hurt your Kindle. Like mother's milk, that. You may have slow pages turn for a wee bit. Oh, and certain books might leap to the top of your "most recently read" list.

And good for your Saint Bernard for keeping your Kindle safe for driving. Someone has to be responsible.

I've taken my Kindle to the beach many times. No worries with a decent case. I'll try the "wash off the sand with a pint" trick.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #34
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Guinness, was it? Well, that won't hurt your Kindle. Like mother's milk, that. You may have slow pages turn for a wee bit. Oh, and certain books might leap to the top of your "most recently read" list.

And good for your Saint Bernard for keeping your Kindle safe for driving. Someone has to be responsible.

I've taken my Kindle to the beach many times. No worries with a decent case. I'll try the "wash off the sand with a pint" trick.
Well said! Me thinks someone's been kissing the stone... However, for "sand washing'" may I suggest something lighter.... a Harp for instance?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #35
Raheldm
Raheldm began at the beginning.

Device: hopefully soon
Quote:
I'm not surprised that sunglasses that expensive exist (or else, why make that claim in the commercial?). What kind of specialization is necessary for skiing sunglasses? (Hope I'm not taking the topic too far off. )
My normal sunglasses cost $140 but I had luck and could buy it for less because they lowered the price. It's completely normal to pay so much for good sunglasses.
Raheldm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #36
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Those ads are lame. Most of the Kindle users(at least I think like this) will never do anything that appears there.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
I'm not surprised that sunglasses that expensive exist (or else, why make that claim in the commercial?). What kind of specialization is necessary for skiing sunglasses? (Hope I'm not taking the topic too far off. )
I paid $350 for (non-skiing) sunglasses (that was my share of the payment, my eyeglass plan paid more).

Basic prescription lenses, with polarized sun protection. Middle level anti-glare coating on the inner lenses (there was a more and less expensive level of coating). The frames were the stock "free" frames with my eyeglass plan.

I don't know anything about eyeglasses and I was probably ripped off, but I was tired of squinting through cheap sunglasses and feeling my eyes get tired. The sunglasses are really nice when I drive.

Edit: They're not really 'cool' looking although I did find a frame my son agreed didn't make me look dorky.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #38
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I've used my Kindle on a beach numerous times. I put it in a ziploc bag
Just make sure there are no sliced peaches in the same ziploc
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #39
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayupark View Post
really? I never would have figured that one on my own
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Can someone please tell me, why I always read the readers are expensive? I mean they cost the equivalent of 10 to 20 new books??? All of us have at least bought a hundred new books and a couple of hundred all in all and still I read constantly things like: the reader cost me so much! Or: It was expensive...

I don't get it. My 350 cost 180€ thats 255$ which is a lot more than you pay in the States for it (its 129$ in the US) and I still don't think it is expensive. With all the freebies and deals there is no need to buy a lot of books so it saves me some in the long run.

It already has saved me money. I spent about a hundred each month on books and now it is down to 20€ to 30€.

So please, do tell me, why you think it is expensive! I really wanna know!
And getting cheaper all the time.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #41
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayupark View Post
Thank you! This is great news! It means strawberries are safe, doesn't it?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I do the zip lock bag thing too, in any potentially wet environment, and the only downside is in sunshine, it does add some glare. But I don't read at the beach that much (I'm usually in the water or herding children.)

As for the ereader being expensive. It is. I don't have a lot of extra money at the end of the month, and I really should have NONE and be paying off debt and saving for retirement instead of ANY other 'discretionary' spending.
But we decided we want to enjoy life while we can.
Buying a >$100 reader means I choose that instead of eating out with the family for a few weeks, or skipping a few day trips with the kids that month, or I don't buy those 10-12 books that I might have bought over the next few months.
If I lose or break my reader, I can't afford to replace it, at least not right away. Then I wouldn't have my reader OR those 10-12 books to read.
The Sony reader I just bought for my son was a bit of an impulse buy, and I almost considered returning it and putting that money towards an extra loan payment, but when I saw how many freebies my son is reading on it, I shifted the expense in my mental ledger to "education investment" and felt better about it.

ApK

p.s. Money aside, why is anyone questioning protecting and caring for the reader? Why wouldn't you want to treat it well? Why would you treat it as a disposable item even if you could afford a stack of them?

Last edited by ApK; 04-11-2011 at 10:16 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #43
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I do the zip lock bag thing too, in any potentially wet environment, and the only downside is in sunshine, it does add some glare. But I don't read at the beach that much (I'm usually in the water or herding children.)

As for the ereader being expensive. It is. I don't have a lot of extra money at the end of the month, and I really should have NONE and be paying off debt and saving for retirement instead of ANY other 'discretionary' spending.
But we decided we want to enjoy life while we can.
Buying a >$100 reader means I choose that instead of eating out with the family for a few weeks, or skipping a few day trips with the kids that month, or I don't buy those 10-12 books that I might have bought over the next few months.
If I lose or break my reader, I can't afford to replace it, at least not right away. Then I wouldn't have my reader OR those 10-12 books to read.
The Sony reader I just bought for my son was a bit of an impulse buy, and I almost considered returning it and putting that money towards an extra loan payment, but when I saw how many freebies my son is reading on it, I shifted the expense in my mental ledger to "education investment" and felt better about it.

ApK

p.s. Money aside, why is anyone questioning protecting and caring for the reader? Why wouldn't you want to treat it well? Why would you treat it as a disposable item even if you could afford a stack of them?
I asked because I don't see the ultimate "expensiveness" that I hear people referring to here all the time. I did not say it is peanuts, I just said it is not as expensive as people claim it to be.

The moment you've read those 20 books you made up for buying it.

Or, when you keep it for a year, you paid 10$ per month for it, even if you read not a single free book on it. That's about the equivalent of going to the movies once a month. How much do people spent on DVD's? Newspapers? Magazines? There is nothing more dispensable than a fashion magazine or even worse a gossip magazine! So this reader comes down to two fashion magazines per month, if kept for twelve month to read on it.

So this is one or two times skipping the restaurant for your family in a year... Or 2 BigMacs per month. Or three month worth of a beer in the evening.

Well, it depends on one's priorities but it is not a thing I would call EXPENSIVE.

How the Average Consumer spend their Money
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #44
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheldm View Post
My normal sunglasses cost $140 but I had luck and could buy it for less because they lowered the price. It's completely normal to pay so much for good sunglasses.
Okay, good to know.

Honestly, the sunglasses I've owned (which haven't been many) have probably all come from CVS, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, so that's probably why I was confused.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #45
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Well, it depends on one's priorities but it is not a thing I would call EXPENSIVE.
Expensive is relative. You seem to be SAYING you understand that, but your tone still seems to suggest "I don't consider it expensive, so I can't understand how it can be considered expensive by anyone."

I consider it expensive. Obviously not outrageously expensive, or I would not have bought three in the last two years, and I feel like we're getting great value from them, but I try to keep it in perspective. I don't judge it expensive by comparing to the cost of a bowl of rice, and I don't judge it trivially cheap by comparing it to the cost of a new car.
I try to judge it by looking at it's role and value in my budget.
By that standard, it's expensive. But worth it to me.

$140 for non-prescription sunglasses would be WAY TOO expensive for me.
Thankfully, good Ray-Bans can be found on eBay for under $50.....

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach, kindle, reader