Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #31
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ok, please try v1.1.2 of the Goodreads plugin from here.

The issue only arose on Calibre 0.7.48 for books that have no tags coming through from Goodreads, but do have some from Google Books. My plugin was returning "None" in this situation, now it will return an empty list. Perhaps my plugin should always have done this but with hundreds of downloads I feel sure someone else would have noticed the issue before now.

I still don't know *exactly* why that leads to the Google Books tags being cached on a Metadata object for any new book that gets added. However I believe it is something to do with the changes that have been made recently - whether Kovid deems it worthy of investigation is up to him as we have a workaround.

Let me know how you get on with it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #32
DagsJT
DagsJT began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
And that appears to have fixed it, good work!

Now to delete all tags from my collection and use Goodreads exclusively
DagsJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #33
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to hear, thanks for letting me know. I suggest disabling a least the social metadata on the Google Books plugin.

BTW if you get a situation where Goodreads returns no tags, just delete the ISBN from the book and try it again. One of the issues I had in replicating the problem is that for at least one of those books I tried above it required the exact ISBN that Goodreads had no match for. If you delete the ISBN and hit Ctrl+D again (well at least with none of the other metadata download plugins enabled) it will do a title/author search and usually come up with the most "popular" match which has shelves that can be turned into tags.

Alternatively you can use the Goodreads Sync plugin (new version of this by tomorrow) to "Link" a book to the edition of your choice on Goodreads which will update the ISBN in Calibre, and then do a Ctrl+D on it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #34
DagsJT

Thanks for the tips. I haven't actually used Goodreads before, didn't know about it until I discovered Calibre but it's probably something I should look into.

On a slightly different note, is the Goodreads Cover plugin better used on its own too? I'm finding a fair number of books where I'm being told that the cover's not found at Amazon (404 error) and the ISBN isn't found at Openlibrary either. Is this another time to delete the ISBN?

Edit: Nevermind that, just read the notes on the cover plugin to find it depends on the ISBN anyway.

Last edited by DagsJT; 03-07-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
kiwidude

The Goodreads covers plugin as per the docs you found does indeed currently need an isbn until the new metadata API is released.

However you might still find for the same reasons as tags above that removing the isbn to do Ctrl+D again might also give you a result with a cover, since it may pickup a different isbn while it is fetching all that other book data (covers are fetched as a step just after that). That trick won't work from the Edit Metadata screen though if you try to just fetch covers. Either manually find an isbn for a book that has a cover you like, or more simply just use a plugin like "Search the Internet" to find a cover and drag/drop it onto the book details panel direct from the webpage.

chaley/Kovid have fixed the bug in Calibre btw so as of the next release my workaround in the Goodreads metadata plugin would be unnecessary but harmless to keep as is.
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #36
DagsJT

Cheers, will grab the search plugin now.