Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2024, 08:59 PM   #31
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's likely that you just need to edit the database to set some sort of notebook init flag to true, so it's certainly possible that comparing against another person's database would reveal the necessary flag to edit/add to dismiss the error message.

It's also possible that the initial sync performs some more complex processing actions that can't easily be replicated with a simple database edit, of course.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:00 PM   #32
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3 View Post
Does anybody know a list of kobo devces that have this notepad app and sync capabilities?
Kobo only recently entered the note-taking space. The only models with notebooks are the Sage, Elipsa, Elipsa 2E, and Libra Colour.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2024, 09:06 PM   #33
Lee3
Enthusiast
Lee3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
If somebody has two devices, one with sync required, one not, they could test adding the tokentime and token to the appropriate fields and report back.

Or, if you want to send me your datetime and token via PM I can try it in mine.
Rethinking over this, the entire user field entries maybe needed as the NotebookSyncToken could be derived from one of the other master tokens/keys in the same user table.

But, it could still work with any valid NotebookSyncToken, (valid being the crucial part here)

either way, all easily testable
Lee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:09 PM   #34
Lee3
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's likely that you just need to edit the database to set some sort of notebook init flag to true, so it's certainly possible that comparing against another person's database would reveal the necessary flag to edit/add to dismiss the error message.

It's also possible that the initial sync performs some more complex processing actions that can't easily be replicated with a simple database edit, of course.
Yes, I suspect the flag may actually be NotebookSyncToken... IE no token present means Sync Required
Old 05-29-2024, 04:47 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
There was nothing simple like that comparing the Sage that was working and the new one, when Kobo registration server was working and server was timing out on WiFi for the Notebook resources.

Quote:
Eventually I copied EVERYTHING in the exposed partition from working Sage to new one, inc all hidden stuff (in Linux).
The new Sage then had a fatal error (which you could cancel). It didn't work properly. It was restarted and had an error again. Then restarted and it worked. Then notebooks worked and I was able to connect to Calibre to remove extra books. Also sign out (as it had account of my own Sage), create new account and then set it to SideloadedMode=true

My theory is that something is also updated on the system partition, normally inaccessible via USB.

There is top folder (missing on a new Sage) in .kobo
iink
That has in it:
diagram
math
raw-content
text-en_US

(I'm in Ireland)
Each of those has
INFO
recognition-assets

lastmodified.txt

These are all just resources. The actual Nebo application is somewhere else and either is in the Firmware or is downloaded from a separate server (likely Kobo's).
My original Elispsa already had all the resources and didn't require the resource sync. I've bought 5 Sage models now (only one is mine) and all are now set SideloadedMode=true after registering and all needed the resource sync, which was only unavailable on one (presumably the separate server was down).

There are 3 sqlite databases in .kobo
Bookreader, fonts and Kobo

The Kobo eReader.conf in .kobo/Kobo gets extra settings after the Notebooks are enabled.

Note that there is no actual Nebo application in the exposed partition. The one Sage that failed sync on resources (server error) did get dictionaries and a FW upgrade and who knows what else at setup time and at WiFi sync for "resources".

Some parts of the conf (an old backup file, not any current Sage)
Quote:
[General]
LibraryRecentSearches=anne mouse

[ApplicationPreferences]
AIRPLANE_MODE=true
CurrentLocale=en
EarliestChangeLog=4.32.19501

HomePageViewVisitCount=11
IntroduceAudiobooksShown=true
LastAffiliateSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\ x2\x4o\x1a\x2)
LastAuthorsListSorter_authorList_=sortByLastName()
LastFTEStep=LOGIN
LastLibrarySorter_author_filterByAuthor%28Mark%20C oker%29=sortByNewest()
LastLibrarySorter_books_filterByAllItems%28%29=sor tByAuthor()
LastLibrarySorter_notebooks_filterByNotebooks%28%2 9=sortByNewest()
LastLibrarySorter_series_filterBySeries%28St.%20Cl are%U2019s%29=sortByBookNumber()
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Classi cs%20young%29=sortByNewest()
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Young% 20Mystery%29=sortByNewest()
LastLibrarySubFilter_author_filterByAuthor%28Mark% 20Coker%29=
LastLibrarySubFilter_books_filterByAllItems%28%29=
LastLibrarySubFilter_notebooks_filterByNotebooks%2 8%29=
LastLibrarySubFilter_series_filterBySeries%28St.%2 0Clare%U2019s%29=
LastLibrarySubFilter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Cla ssics%20young%29=
LastLibrarySubFilter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28You ng%20Mystery%29=
LastLibraryTab=Books
LastLibraryViewType_author=viewBy5List()
LastLibraryViewType_books=viewBy5List()
LastLibraryViewType_notebooks=viewBy3x4NotebookGri d()
LastLibraryViewType_series=viewBy5List()
LastLibraryViewType_seriesList=viewBy5List()
LastLibraryViewType_shelf=viewBy5Shelf()
LastMostPopularSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88 P\x2\x38\x43\xce\x2)
LastSearchType_Home=Library
LastSeriesListSorter_seriesList_=sortByRecent()
LastShelfListSorter_shelfList_=sortByItemCount()
LastStoreTab=eBooks
LastSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\x2N\x12\x ac\x2)
LastTopPicksSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\x 2\x6\x1b\xf9\x2)
LastUpdateCheckTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\x2 N\x11\xfc\x2)
LibraryViewVisitCount=20
LongPressDialogShown=true
MarkAsFinishedLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88 P\x2j\x94\xf4\xff)
MarkAsUnreadLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\ x2j\x94\xf8\xff)
QuickTourWidgetShown=true
ReadABookShown2=true
SearchResultsviewVisitCount=2
SideloadedMode=true
SignInTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\x2<\xd8\x9c \xff)
StylusUsageDetected=true
SwipeDialogShown=true
UsingAdvancedNoteShown=true
UsingBasicNoteShown=true
WifiRegulatoryDomain=IE
firstRotateDone=true
firstRunDate=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88P\x2\x2\xf7 '\x2)
hasSyncedExistingRelatedItems=true
lastPlugTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x88R\x2g%\x8b\ x2)
lockedOrientation=5
syncOnNextBoot=false
Quote:
[IInkSettings]
FirstConvertDone=true
FirstDiagramCreated=true
FirstEditModeShown=true
FirstHandwritingDone=true
FirstMathCreated=true
LastUsedHighlighterColor=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xf f\xff\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\0\0)
LastUsedHighlighterSize=4
LastUsedPenColor=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\0\ 0\0\0\0\0\0\0)
LastUsedPenSize=1
LastUsedPenType=0
_mnt_onboard_Ferrite-Aerial.nebo=@Variant(\0\0\0\b\0\0\0\a\0\0\0\x14\0V \0i\0\x65\0w\0O\0\x66\0\x66\0s\0\x65\0t\0\0\0\x19\ 0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\xe\0P\0\x65\0n\0S\0i\0z\0\x6 5\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\x1\0\0\0\x10\0P\0\x65\0n\0\x43\0o \0l\0o\0r\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0 \0\x12\0P\0\x61\0r\0t\0I\0n\0\x64\0\x65\0x\0\0\0\x 2\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x1e\0H\0i\0g\0h\0l\0i\0g\0h\0t\0\x 65\0r\0S\0i\0z\0\x65\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\x4\0\0\0 \0H\0i\0g\0h\0l\0i\0g\0h\0t\0\x65\0r\0\x43\0o\0l\0 o\0r\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\ 0\0\0\0\0\n\0\x42\0r\0u\0s\0h\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0)
_mnt_onboard_My%20story.nebo=@Variant(\0\0\0\b\0\0 \0\x5\0\0\0\x14\0V\0i\0\x65\0w\0O\0\x66\0\x66\0s\0 \x65\0t\0\0\0\x19\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\xe\0P\0\x6 5\0n\0S\0i\0z\0\x65\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\x1\0\0\0\x10\0P \0\x65\0n\0\x43\0o\0l\0o\0r\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\0 \0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x12\0P\0\x61\0r\0t\0I\0n\0\x6 4\0\x65\0x\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\n\0\x42\0r\0u\0s \0h\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0)
_mnt_onboard_Testing.nebo=@Variant(\0\0\0\b\0\0\0\ x5\0\0\0\x14\0V\0i\0\x65\0w\0O\0\x66\0\x66\0s\0\x6 5\0t\0\0\0\x19\0\0\0\0\0\0\r\xdc\0\0\0\xe\0P\0\x65 \0n\0S\0i\0z\0\x65\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\x1\0\0\0\x10\0P\ 0\x65\0n\0\x43\0o\0l\0o\0r\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\0\ 0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x12\0P\0\x61\0r\0t\0I\0n\0\x64 \0\x65\0x\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\n\0\x42\0r\0u\0s\ 0h\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0)
Really those zip files and any sqlite settings are only part of what happens.

I can't see how a manual install without any WiFi can work unless Kobo dramatically changes the Firmware.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 05:00 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just copying iink tree into .kobo (which looks like it hs the unpacked zip files in it) and editing
Code:
[IInkSettings]
FirstConvertDone=true
FirstDiagramCreated=true
FirstEditModeShown=true
FirstMathCreated=true
LastUsedHighlighterColor=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\0\0)
LastUsedPenColor=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0)
LastUsedPenSize=1
LastUsedPenType=0
didn't work, did nothing.

I looked with an SQL viewer and couldn't see anything obvious to change in any of the three databases.

Copying them made the Sage "broken".

So I copied EVERYTHING. Rebooted.
Then had to reboot twice.

Even with WiFi off, from time to time something "triggers" a desire, when using notebooks, to "sync handwriting resources". This works with SideloadedMode=true

I think that without full system access (and maybe more than the 4 zip files) trying to sort Notebooks without WiFi is chasing moonbeams.
I was very relieved that subsequently "sync handwriting resources" worked on that new Sage (some days later) and on later Sage models bought.

This is set without WiFi:
StylusUsageDetected=true
Old 05-29-2024, 05:06 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If this was easy, it could be done to the Libra 2. The original Libra doesn't detect or use the Pen. The Libra 2 does in Sketchpad.

The Sketchpad is enabled on Sage and Elipsa by devmodeon search, and then works like on Libra 2. One button is erase and the other is fat marker. Saves .svg that appear in My Books.
Originally the reMarkable only had that kind of notes.

So you CAN take notes, save, view, copy via USB, using the Pen on Libra 2, Sage and Elipsa. Someone can try the new Kobos. Just no edit after you save, and no onboard handwriting conversion.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:19 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

You can copy *.nebo files between Kobos and they get automagically imported like adding epubs or pdfs.
You can explicitly import them to iOS, Andriod etc Nebo app, the Kobo version can't read the .nebo files from the full app as it's a dramatically crippled/cut down version because of the limitations of eink. (USB copy to PC first though some Android OTG file managers can mount and read Kobo)

The full Nebo app can be installed on some Android eink, but is unusable. Similarly Google's Gboard handwriting conversion can be used with free Android Jota to take notes quicker thab touch keyboard by "handwriting" with a finger tip on a 5.5″ Android 7.x phone, but is unusable on an Android 8.x eink due to eink latency/response/refresh characteristics even in lowest quality and fastest refresh mode.

I now text chat on Viber (concidently owned by Rakuten who owns Kobo) on phone and tablet using the GBoard handwriting conversion (go into settings, turn on all privacy and add handwriting and PC keyboards instead of QWERTY in the Language Keyboard settings). Turn off all glide except cursor move via stroke spacebar.
But useless on eink.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:37 PM   #39
Lee3
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Just copying iink tree into .kobo (which looks like it hs the unpacked zip files in it) and editing
Code:
[IInkSettings]
FirstConvertDone=true
FirstDiagramCreated=true
FirstEditModeShown=true
FirstMathCreated=true
LastUsedHighlighterColor=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\x86\0\0)
LastUsedPenColor=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0)
LastUsedPenSize=1
LastUsedPenType=0

This is set without WiFi:
StylusUsageDetected=true
Thanks for the info Quoth.

Can you confirm, LastUsedHighligtherColor
Is this config from a newer colour kobo model?

Also, StylusUseageDetected, what are you saying this has to do with WiFi?

Quote:
I looked with an SQL viewer and couldn't see anything obvious to change in any of the three databases.
Did you check inside main table users, whether NotebookSyncToken had changed, I would say it wasnt NULL anymore after you synced.

Last edited by Lee3; 05-29-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:25 PM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

No, this is really old backup on my workstation from a Sage.

Quote:
StylusUseageDetected, what are you saying this has to do with WiFi?
I'm saying it's irrelevant to WiFi or updates.
It will be true if when you tap on battery icon and it tells you Pen stylus.

Quote:
NotebookSyncToken had changed, I would say it wasnt NULL anymore after you synced.
I think that doesn't make it work, no matter what value it is.

What I'm saying is I've 20+ years SQL experience, a gazzillion years experience UNIX, Linux and embedded systems, built gadgets. Literally have the greybeard. AND I had a working one beside a new one that could register Kobo, could download dictionaries but couldn't download the Notebook resources because the server was off-line.

I had in the end to copy EVERYTHING, and it took WiFi being on and 2 extra reboots to get it working.

My opinion is the four zip files and whatever database settings might be needed isn't enough. Unless Kobo changes the FW I can't see how a manual setup can work.

It's probably per devices licensed software. The only free version is an even more cut down demo on iOS. So probabily designed that the Kobo has to have a "conversation" with server(s) as well as copy & inflate files to user partition.

The settings in Kobo eReader.conf in .kobo/Kobo are probably irrelevant to getting it working, just last user choices.

Quote:
Can you confirm, LastUsedHighligtherColor
This is no surprise:
1) My original 2016 Kobo did screen shots in full colour. Likely it's all colour software apart from screen driver.
2) The MyWrite Nebo on iOS and Android is in glorious True Colour. The app started as an iOS app.
3) The version on Kobo is horribly cut down and crippled so it works on eink, but likely they didn't deliberately remove colour code even on Sage and Elipsa.
4) Colour in ebooks, png, PDF etc is mapped to just 16 levels.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:43 PM   #41
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
I have been watching this thread like a hawk, since I share a similar problem as Lee3. Being a newbie, however, I obviously do not have the tech knowledge to understand what is going on.

Still, it is cool to watch a master like Quoth at work trying to figure out what is possible (or not) in getting the Nebo subsystem sideloaded.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:53 PM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
Still, it is cool to watch a master like Quoth at work trying to figure out what is possible (or not) in getting the Nebo subsystem sideloaded.
I'd rather read books, thanks. I really gave up on it over a year ago.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:48 PM   #43
Lee3
Enthusiast

Quote:
NotebookSyncToken had changed, I would say it wasnt NULL anymore after you synced.
Quote:
I think that doesn't make it work, no matter what value it is.
Sorry but your wrong to assume this, Especially in OTA/API type systems, as Tokens are required for authentication/Identification.

There is a strong possibility here that a token implies royal licence fee accounted for.
a NULL means no contact with server as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth
What I'm saying is I've 20+ years SQL experience, a gazzillion years experience UNIX, Linux and embedded systems, built gadgets. Literally have the greybeard. AND I had a working one beside a new one that could register Kobo, could download dictionaries but couldn't download the Notebook resources because the server was off-line.

My opinion is the four zip files and whatever database settings might be needed isn't enough. Unless Kobo changes the FW I can't see how a manual setup can work.
Well that maybe the case, but your giving up rather easy.

For example, one cannot say "we dont know whats going on, but loads of stuff in the firmware is being changed"

Using this approach, we can also say "we dont know whats going on, but 1 simple flag needs to be set to give access"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth
I had in the end to copy EVERYTHING, and it took WiFi being on and 2 extra reboots to get it working.
This is only good news, because you copied tokens, serial data, configs, etc from another device, and it worked on a device with different hardware serials, which shows that there validation checks are not so secure.

Last edited by Lee3; 05-29-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:36 AM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If there is a royalty / licence fee involved:
1) It will be designed to make manual sideloading difficult.
2) It's theft to bypass the official method as there is no transmission of usage to Kobo or Mywrite. In my case the Kobo did later connect via WiFi, so no copyright/licence violation.

Quote:
This is only good news, because you copied tokens, serial data, configs, etc from another device, and it worked on a device with different hardware serials, which shows that there validation checks are not so secure.
Did you miss where it was so broken that there were fatal errors on the "My Books" screen and the WiFi had to talk to kobo?

Just make a warranty claim and get a Kobo with working WiFi.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:25 PM   #45
Lee3
Enthusiast

Quote:
If there is a royalty / licence fee involved:
1) It will be designed to make manual sideloading difficult.
2) It's theft to bypass the official method as there is no transmission of usage to Kobo or Mywrite. In my case the Kobo did later connect via WiFi, so no copyright/licence violation.
You didn't seem to care about theft when you copied "EVERTHING" from one kobo to the other, with the intention of bypassing the Sync requirement.

All of a sudden you've become holier than thou?

As for your WiFi fixing the issue and also paying the license fee, Thats another assumption as you already stated you don't know what exactly is happening behind the scenes.

For all you know your nebo application could be working from your other devices token, which is likely the case.

I'm 17 years into C++ and currently work for Zurich bank, but I don't need to mention it with the condescending intentions of trying to steer everybody from the endeavour of bypassing nebo/sync.

BTW, are you going to contact Kobo to ensure the royalty fees to nebo are paid?
I doubt very much you will.

Im going to buy another Kobo, and im going to sync it via wifi and monitor all the changes, once ive done this im going to intentionally break it via applying over-voltage directly to the PCB, then im going to return it for my money back.

When I was sold the device, it didn't state on the front "A WIFI CONNECTION IS NEEDED TO USE THIS DEVICE"

If you dont like this, I couldn't care less, Kobo got one up on me via mis-advertising their product, im going to get them back.

Once ive achieved sideloading, I will report back for the benefit of the community.

Last edited by Lee3; 05-30-2024 at 09:38 PM.