Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2022, 05:06 PM   #31
Alex305
Connoisseur
Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Do you have "Display cover" option visible in Device Options in Settings on that jailbroken?

I don't even after 48h left online. I'm seriously considering making a poll here on MobileRead to check that situation for other people that jailbreak-ed their PW5's...
I tried just to look... changed the extension from .epub to .png didn't work email from Kindle support said can't work...made the same trying .txt didn't work neither....so the only way is converted using Calibre in .mobi .... seemed too easy if just need to change extension...and when I said about cover book into the library ... I made reference because you said after sent . ePub your device received it but you haven't any cover thumbnail.. right?
Alex305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:27 PM   #32
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
I've tested last night sending epub book with .epub extension (so no renaming / changing extension , since it is no longer necessary) via e-mail (using Calibre to send e-mail using my Gmail account) and that worked.

"change the extension" trick definitely used to work for past couple of years. Both when using e-mail and when using official "Send to Kindle" apps. I've only use that method when I didn't have access to a computer with Calibre installed so I've then used Android phone + Kindle for Android app (that integrates a "Send to Kindle" option in Android's Share menu) .
Does it work at the moment can't tell you since I didn't test that in last 2-3 months.

I personally don't use "Personal Documents Archive" / wireless sending of books to my Kindle at all. The only time I've used it in the past is when I had to send some books to a relative that is an older person that lives in different city and she doesn't even own a computer.
I prefer to use Calibre + USB cable and transfer either azw3 (+ apnx for page numbers) or KFX files.

As for book covers: I meant and asked you about the "book cover as screensaver" functionality. Do you or don't you have that option to enable/disable that? In Settings> Device Options. If you have it enabled (remotely by Amazon servers!) it will appear as a fist / top option called "Book covers"... if the fist option is "Device info" then you still don't have it enabled. Just like I no longer have it and I had it before upgrading firmware from 5.14.0.1 to 5.14.1.1 and then doing the jailbreak.

I'm annoyed but not having that option... the PDOC cover thumbnails is not a relevant thing for me since I don't have that problem because I transfer my books via USB cable & with Calibre and those are not marked as PDOC and Calibre generates and transfers cover thumbnail image so Kindle firmware uses it and all is well and nice looking.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2022, 03:37 AM   #33
Alex305
Connoisseur
Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex305 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

WOW, first of All thank you very much for your long reply I really appreciate it

Quote:
I've tested last night sending epub book with .epub extension (so no renaming / changing extension , since it is no longer necessary) via e-mail (using Calibre to send e-mail using my Gmail account) and that worked.

I had a chat with Amazon help and said not on all device and account already works so on mine definitely works I must wait a couple of weeks they said

"change the extension" trick definitely used to work for past couple of years. Both when using e-mail and when using official "Send to Kindle" apps. I've only use that method when I didn't have access to a computer with Calibre installed so I've then used Android phone + Kindle for Android app (that integrates a "Send to Kindle" option in Android's Share menu) .
Does it work at the moment can't tell you since I didn't test that in last 2-3 months.

I got it

I personally don't use "Personal Documents Archive" / wireless sending of books to my Kindle at all. The only time I've used it in the past is when I had to send some books to a relative that is an older person that lives in different city and she doesn't even own a computer.
I prefer to use Calibre + USB cable and transfer either azw3 (+ apnx for page numbers) or KFX files.

Ah ok , instead I prefer send it through email istead linbk USB

As for book covers: I meant and asked you about the "book cover as screensaver" functionality. Do you or don't you have that option to enable/disable that? In Settings> Device Options. If you have it enabled (remotely by Amazon servers!) it will appear as a fist / top option called "Book covers"... if the fist option is "Device info" then you still don't have it enabled. Just like I no longer have it and I had it before upgrading firmware from 5.14.0.1 to 5.14.1.1 and then doing the jailbreak

Before Jailbreak I had 5.14.2 and not had "book covers" on first option, after Jailbreak I had, after did att all, that option and I swype to allow the book covers but the strange thing, after register again my Kindle on Amazon that "book covers" disappears like Amazon didn't allow anymore and now as first option appear just "device info" as you said.

I'm annoyed but not having that option... the PDOC cover thumbnails is not a relevant thing for me since I don't have that problem because I transfer my books via USB cable & with Calibre and those are not marked as PDOC and Calibre generates and transfers cover thumbnail image so Kindle firmware uses it and all is well and nice looking.
ah ok, instead I used to send the converted book( using Calibre) through email so I had all thumbnails on the Kindle library

Thanks again for support I really appreciate it

PS do you know how to or if is there any KOReader plugin to show all books like the Kindle stock library to show all thumbnails instead to search the books into the folder download?
Old 05-01-2022, 04:08 AM   #34
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I rarely use KOReader so keep in mind that I might be wrong with my conclusions but as far as I could tell KOReader doesn't offer an option to "flatten" all subfolders inside the folder that was set as Home folder in KOReader and to then display just a list of all books. So the only workaround to get just list of books without any folders is to not put books in subfolders just dump them all at root level of Home folder. If you're using the built-in support for connecting to Calibre as a wireless device then you'll need to adjust save template for that device in order to control how the filename and folder structure will look like once the books are transferred to KOReader.

Also a huge bummer with KOReader is that as far as I could tell is that when listing books it doesn't offer ability to sort by author or title metadata! It can sort only based on filenames, file sizes, date added, date last opened.

So to workaround those unfortunate limitations I had to make Calibre construct filename as "author - series - series index - title" so that when books / files are sorted by filename they are order by author and books that are part of a series are ordered in correct order.
But then there is no way to sort by book titles...

For cover thumbnails in KOReader you need to switch it to what it calls "mosaic".

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-01-2022 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:14 AM   #35
Alex305
Connoisseur

Quote:
I rarely use KOReader so keep in mind that I might be wrong with my conclusions but as far as I could tell KOReader doesn't offer an option to "flatten" all subfolders inside the folder that was set as Home folder in KOReader and to then display just a list of all books. So the only workaround to get just list of books without any folders is to not put books in subfolders just dump them all at root level of Home folder. If you're using the built-in support for connecting to Calibre as a wireless device then you'll need to adjust save template for that device in order to control how the filename and folder structure will look like once the books are transferred to KOReader.

Also a huge bummer with KOReader is that as far as I could tell is that when listing books it doesn't offer ability to sort by author or title metadata! It can sort only based on filenames, file sizes, date added, date last opened.

So to workaround those unfortunate limitations I had to make Calibre construct filename as "author - series - series index - title" so that when books / files are sorted by filename they are order by author and books that are part of a series are ordered in correct order.
But then there is no way to sort by book titles...

You righ, I jailbroken my kindle because I supposed to use KOReader to read directly .ePub and to have more oprion, KoReader has lots options to configure ...maybe too much...and too old fashion as UI like Linux user termianl...so I'm think to un Jailbreak my KIndle...or keep it but keep using my Kindle just with stock software more user friendly for daily reading
Advert
Old 05-01-2022, 04:21 AM   #36
shamanNS
Guru

Yeah, I also dislike KOReader's folder based approach to listing books on device.

Anyways, don't remove jailbreak from your Kindle. Just use what you like (stock reader software). You never know what the future brings and when the jailbreak and freedom to customize and add stuff will bring you some benefits.
It is always better to have something and not use is it or barely even use it then not to have if at all.
This PW5 is the 4th Kindle I've owned and all of them had jailbreak, even before KOReader existed

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-01-2022 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:55 AM   #37
Alex305
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yeah, I also dislike KOReader's folder based approach to listing books on device.

Anyways, don't remove jailbreak from your Kindle. Just use what you like (stock reader software). You never know what the future brings and when the jailbreak and freedom to customize and add stuff will bring you some benefits.
It is always better to have something and not use is it or barely even use it then not to have if at all.
This PW5 is the 4th Kindle I've owned and all of them had jailbreak, even before KOReader existed

Thanks I appreciate your advice , your are wise, better to keep it and don't use instead one day need it but can't put anymore....so I'll back to use stock software to read

Thanks

PS do you know how to install Python ,because I trying without any chance...

PPS any suggestion to configure ..like some cool plugins or similar because if you are doing jailbreak since lots time you definitely have lots skills
Old 05-01-2022, 05:55 AM   #38
shamanNS
Guru

Python bin installer is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Under "Packages targeting the Kindle 5" > "Python 2.7 & Python 3.9".

As for plug-ins and hacks: all that is highly dependent on users needs and habits. Like it is not the same if someone regularly needs to read bunch of old mobi books vs someone that reads azw3 99.99% of the time, even when both have in common say desire to use custom fonts.
Why if that? Well, in order to have & use a custom font in mobi format user needs to use @NiLiJe's FontsHack. But custom fonts are already available on stock firmware for books in azw3 or KFX format, so the fonts hack would be redundant for those people that don't read old mobi format.

Basically in the past there were many more things missing on a Kindle that regular users would consider to be basic functionality and thus people "had to" install hacks... but in the last couple of years Amazon has finally added most of those : native support for custom fonts, support for making the text bolder, support for using the cover of the book you're currently reading as a screensaver.
Also many people who in the past had to jailbreak and mess around with editing system files in order to redefine text sizes that are offered in Aa menu (because of the problem that one size is to small and the next one is waaay to big) now can fix that problem without needing jailbreak at least for book in azw3 format by creating "FONT_RAMP" file on Kindle drive. There is also "CONTENT_FONT_RAMP" to do the same thing for KFX books but unfortunately THAT still requires jailbreak and doing a tiny modification inside a JAR file in order to enable parsing of that "RAMP" file. Which is what I've done for my PW3 and will have to do again on my PW5.

Of all long-standing gripes Kindle users have had for past 12-13 years basically the only one Amazon hasn't addressed is the ability to have more granular control of margins. (well they did "address" that : they've changed something and now changing hardcoded values for margins inside system JAR files no longer works ).

Those things were reasons for 98% of jailbreaks i the past Nowadays the main reason is wanting to use KOReader. And group of people that want custom screensaver but don't want that to be book cover
Other then those all that remains are some quite niche needs and use cases for "power users". Like wanting / needing Python runtime

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-01-2022 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:04 AM   #39
Alex305
Connoisseur

Quote:
Python bin installer is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Under "Packages targeting the Kindle 5" > "Python 2.7 & Python 3.9".

Igot that, unpacked and follow any point but noting happened maybe I made same mistake but still I don't know what..

As for plug-ins and hacks: all that is highly dependent on users needs and habits. Like it is not the same if someone regularly needs to read bunch of old mobi books vs someone that reads azw3 99.99% of the time, even when both have in common say desire to use custom fonts.
Why if that? Well, in order to have & use a custom font in mobi format user needs to use @NiLiJe's FontsHack. But custom fonts are already available on stock firmware for books in azw3 or KFX format, so the fonts hack would be redundant for those people that don't read old mobi format.
I use just .epub converted into .mobi

Basically in the past there were many more things missing on a Kindle that regular users would consider to be basic functionality and thus people "had to" install hacks... but in the last couple of years Amazon has finally added most of those : native support for custom fonts, support for making the text bolder, support for using the cover of the book you're currently reading as a screensaver.
Also many people who in the past had to jailbreak and mess around with editing system files in order to redefine text sizes that are offered in Aa menu (because of the problem that one size is to small and the next one is waaay to big) now can fix that problem without needing jailbreak at least for book in azw3 format by creating "FONT_RAMP" file on Kindle drive. There is also "CONTENT_FONT_RAMP" to do the same thing for KFX books but unfortunately THAT still requires jailbreak and doing a tiny modification inside a JAR file in order to enable parsing of that "RAMP" file. Which is what I've done for my PW3 and will have to do again on my PW5.

I agree new Kindle SW for my use is pretty perfect
Of all long-standing gripes Kindle users have had for past 12-13 years basically the only one Amazon hasn't addressed is the ability to have more granular control of margins. (well they did "address" that : they've changed something and now changing hardcoded values for margins inside system JAR files no longer works ).

Those things were reasons for 98% of jailbreaks i the past Nowadays the main reason is wanting to use KOReader.
Other then those all that remains are so quite niche needs and use cases for "power users".
thanks
Old 05-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I've never actually tried this, but I seem to recall that the margin issue could be alleviated by tweaking the book's style with *negative* page margins or something?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #41
shamanNS
Guru

That is ass-backwards way of dealing with margins. But it worked in the past (I've tested that but can't remember if I did on Kindle 3 or PW1).

Speaking of modifying JARs: has anybody ever tested doing that on Kindle models that use Safe Boot?
A would really like go get back to having changed text sized in Aa meni also for KFX books (via CONTENT_FONT_RAMP) now on PW5 like I had on PW3... and that needs a tiny edit... But not having a safety blanket in form of booting into diagnostics makes me very reluctant to be the first one to test that

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-01-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #42
Alex305
Connoisseur

so guys any easy tutorial to install python thanks