Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSilmaril View Post
No, I meant, I wasn't sure I understood how it was done. There was talk of using some kind of electrical paint? And I don't know which kind. Thanks for clarifying though.
In the meantime, I found a US source for the cable used here.
I was out shopping for just such a conductive paint an hour ago.
My intent was to post a "no solder serial port" thread.
But the few choices I could find today are all very expensive.

So an alternate plan will be my first choice (make it yourself, you only need three drops).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #32
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So an alternate plan will be my first choice (make it yourself, you only need three drops).
Make it yourself - out of what? What is safe enough that it'll pin down the wires without the risk of, say, dripping enough in any direction such that it'll short the pins?
(not trying to sound adversarial - genuinely curious)

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 08-27-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #33
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast

You know what would be cool? Some kind of mod that allows TTL over microUSB like in this modded router with specialized microUSB cable. I am not comfortable doing it because I have only some experience with much bigger wires and am also not entirely sure if this is feasible.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Make it yourself - out of what? What is safe enough that it'll pin down the wires without the risk of, say, dripping enough in any direction such that it'll short the pins?
(not trying to sound adversarial - genuinely curious)
I would rather try it out myself before I describe it.
Not because it is a super special secret, but because it might not work.

Yes, you will need a steady hand and a sharp eye.
I can't take all skill requirements out of dealing with things that small.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #35
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast

Quote:
I would rather try it out myself before I describe it.
Not because it is a super special secret, but because it might not work.
Gotcha. I'll stay on the lookout for your description of this. Will it be in this thread you think?
Quote:
Yes, you will need a steady hand and a sharp eye.
I can't take all skill requirements out of dealing with things that small.
IOW, yes, the paint need to be applied extremely sparingly and with great care. OK.

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 08-27-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #36
noismaster
noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KV
Could you make bigger pins with conductive double sided tape?
noismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 AM   #37
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
I used this conductive paint: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solder-pastes/8352699.
The nice thing about it is that it's water soluble.
A couple of times I just wet a q-tip and wiped it away and started over.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by noismaster View Post
Could you make bigger pins with conductive double sided tape?
Say a little bit more about **how** your going to use this.
Remember, it has (insulating) adhesive on one side.
And, you will still need to cut it in narrow enough strips so that you don't bridge the contacts.

You don't have a lot of working room, for scaleable pictures, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=50

All devices since the K4 (including the K4) use the same pad layout, only the location on the motherboard changes.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #39
noismaster
noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KV
Quote:
Say a little bit more about **how** your going to use this.
Remember, it has (insulating) adhesive on one side.
And, you will still need to cut it in narrow enough strips so that you don't bridge the contacts.

You don't have a lot of working room, for scaleable pictures, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=50

All devices since the K4 (including the K4) use the same pad layout, only the location on the motherboard changes.
It actually has conductive adhesive. So you could extend the small pins like this. And solder your wires to the copper tape. And later peel the conductive tape off.

Haven't tried myself, but should work theoretically.

I had to solder small wires directory to my KV. It wasn't easy but doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	141461  

Last edited by noismaster; 08-28-2015 at 09:00 AM.
noismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It actually has conductive adhesive. So you could extend the small pins like this. And solder your wires to the copper tape. And later peel the conductive tape off.

I solder small wires directory to my KV. It wasn't easy but doable.
OK - thanks for the picture, I can see what you have in mind now.

My idea, which I am still working on, is a tiny square of Pyralux, etched in a similar pattern, with holes that line up with the solder dots.
Like your idea, it separates the positioning of the connections from the actual connection making.

(And large places to connect wires and/or provide them with the wires attached).

- - - -

I labeled your picture for the folks who are considering a serial port.
Note: This pad layout is the same on all devices newer than the K3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AttachPattern.jpeg
Views:	440
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	141462  

Last edited by knc1; 08-28-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

I had to solder small wires directory to my KV. It wasn't easy but doable.
As it turned out, I happen to have that material in two different weights of copper.

I am not sure about the "solder to and then peel" - -
The solder temperature might toast the adhesive.
I'll give it a try.
If it does, then I'll go with a "cold attach" method of some sort.

Cutting out the pieces to fit -
Ah, but those are tiny little shapes, that had me stumped for awhile.
My answer, chemical machining.
I'll "cut" the shapes while still on the adhesive backing cover sheet.

Then fasten the wires to them (however that can be done).
That gives three little pieces of copper, with wires, still on the backing material.

All the end-user would have to do is "Peel-N-Stick" (plus a drop or two of glue or epoxy to provide strain relief).

= = = =

My computer has been acting up the past couple of days.
I may suddenly disappear for a day or two while I clean, fix, repair or replace it.

I will probably get one or two of these things as "spares" -
http://itzr.en.alibaba.com/product/6...U_mini_PC.html
One per large screen HDMI, TV
(Nearly all my files are on network storage RAID arrays anyway.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-01-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #42
elborak
Enthusiast
elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just a quick thank you for this guide. Just ran the jailbreak on my newly purchased KV and it went without a hitch. A few minor variations from the guide (e.g. I used RealTerm in Windows rather than Linux as my Linux boxes are less accessible), but all went perfectly according to script.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #43
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast

Silent upgrade to 5.6.5, grrrr. Any hope of downgrading or...?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Silent upgrade to 5.6.5, grrrr. Any hope of downgrading or...?
The or...? wins.
Your in the correct thread, ignore the model name and the firmware re-vision number in the title and get after yours.

If your "hot solder" skills are challenged by the size of the port connection pads -
I wrote a "Paint and Play" (non-solder) tread here recently.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #45
Evg
Evg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thank you for the guide.
Sorry I was not successful on step 14. Starting Kindle sends a lot of unreadable messages.

SW 5.6.5.
I used RealTerm, SecureCRT Windows, 115200 (and all other baud rates), 8N1, no Flow control, ANSI and VT102 emulation.

I tried MOXA usb to rs232; and direct connection to serial interface. I didn't use TTL Serial Cable 1.8V. Can this be the reason?
Evg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak