Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #31
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Balut

wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #32
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I once had a friend from Sweden who went home on holiday. When he returned he brought this can of stuff (some kind of pickled fish) with him. The can was probably 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter and 2.5 inches (6 cm) high, and the top was domed out from internal pressure. When he opened the can he cleared the room, the smell was HORRIBLE!!!

He told us that in Sweden, people have been evicted for opening a can of the stuff. I don’t recall what it was called but I wasn’t able to get close enough to taste it so I don’t know if it was good or not.
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #33
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Well, let's see. I'm probably not too far off the beaten track when it comes to exotic foods, unless it was the Thanksgiving that my ex father in law decided it was going to be Wild Game Day. We had partridge, grouse, quail, and pheasant, in addition to the traditional turkey. My ex mother in law drew the line at a Turducken arrangement, however.
I like fried alligator bits, a la Porche's in the Ft. Worth stockyards. They use a cayenne spiced breading that is wonderful. The alligator itself tastes similar to catfish, to me.
My mom loved pickled pig's feet, but could never convince me to try them. She also liked Pork Rinds, which are the same as MoeJoe's pork scratchings.
I haven't seen calamari mentioned, perhaps it isn't exotic enough, considering it's on the menu at a lot of Italian places I've been, but the equation of "squid" and "eat" to me sounds fairly exotic.
I always wanted to try sour cream herring - haven't managed it yet, though.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #34
KoKoPuff
KoKoPuff began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mmm.. Balut. I had it once.. the "juice" is to die for
KoKoPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #35
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Tarantula spiders fried in butter and garlick in Cambodia.
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
Tarantula spiders fried in butter and garlick in Cambodia.
I heard the deep fried scorpions were a delicacy in Thailand, but I haven’t witnessed it myself.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #37
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
oh and I forgot Rocky Mountain Oysters
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #38
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I hope you're not referencing what I think you're referencing. *shudder*

(from the referenced site. Not for the weak of stomach!): "That practice, known as "placentophagy," did not go over well when depicted last year on the British cooking show "TV Dinner," according to The Independent, a London newspaper. The show featured a London couple celebrating the birth of their granddaughter by preparing, then eating, the baby's placenta as a means of reflecting rituals around the world and symbolically sharing in the baby's gene pool.

The placenta was fried with shallots and garlic, flambeed and pureed and served to 20 family and friends as a pate on focaccia bread. The father had 17 helpings, but other guests were less enthusiastic, the paper reported. "
boy do i learn new things on MR... excuse me i'll have to go powder my nose.... :::running:::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You know, it all depends on where you come from... Most Americans I've met looked horrified when I ate salty liquorice. They'd spit it out after one taste (especially the double salted versions!) But it's yummie!

And what about our soused herring? (The Dutch variety, naturally, not the cooked one)

Outside our native cuisine or western cuisine, I can't remember eating something that would be called weird...

phew..ok back. You know Sweetpea, next time an american looks at you with crazy eyes over your salted liquorish tell them that their country invented these monstrosities...

DISCLAIMER: I have not seen anyone eat this aside Jon Stewart

EDIT: This is from the swedes...akshually... I saw squeeze bacon... no fry no nothing just buy and squeeze and I asssssuuumed it was an American behind this....

Last edited by Alphapheemail; 07-15-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #39
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
oh and I forgot Rocky Mountain Oysters
Me too! Actually, those are so common where I was raised I don't think of them as weird.

I do have a friend who loves bacon/chocolate bars. I think she gets them at her local Whole Foods store.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #40
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti
TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 3gs
did someone mention salty licorice? Mmmmm Dubbel Zout Not had that for ages!
TallNHairyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #41
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
We'll I have tried eating fried bats. But those were clean bats.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #42
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
A 'witchity grub'. ot sure on the spelling, but basically a fat white grub that lives in dead trees. The aboriginal people of Australia eat them, it wasn't bad!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #43
stevenharper
Connoisseur
stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Raw hamburger with raw onions and a raw egg cracked over it. (Someone else at it, not me!)
stevenharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 AM   #44
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenharper View Post
Raw hamburger with raw onions and a raw egg cracked over it. (Someone else at it, not me!)
Basically, Steak Tartare. My grandmother used to eat raw meatloaf mixture, consisting of raw hamburger, raw onion, raw egg, crackers, and crushed tomatoes. It never hurt her - I can't remember her ever even having a stomach virus.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #45
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti
TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 3gs
Steak Tartare. Omnomnom.
TallNHairyDave is offline   Reply With Quote