Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 04:40 AM   #31
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Check out the following for a "clean" method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=24

Thanks to elementarythree!
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #32
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

So with the "clean" method, is there a good way to remount /system rw?

I'm getting permission denied for:

Quote:
mount -o rw,remount /system
via the 'adb shell /system/bin/run-as' shell prompt.
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #33
elementarythree
Enthusiast
elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

No there isn't, any rooting is only temporary with these steps. You're probably getting "Operation not permitted" not "Permission denied" which are not entirely the same, actually. I haven't figured out what's going on there but I feel there might be some additional Security on android 6+. Maybe needs another exploit.
elementarythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #34
nameO
nameO began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Check out the following for a "clean" method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=24

Thanks to elementarythree!
Regarding cleanness, I found the latest version of Kingroot hard to remove using Super-Sume Pro. So I downloaded an older version of Kingroot for Windows from the wayback machine.

and used the script from this xda-developers thread, to completely remove Kingroot.
nameO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #35
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementarythree View Post
You're probably getting "Operation not permitted" not "Permission denied" which are not entirely the same, actually.
That's right, my bad.

Quote:
I haven't figured out what's going on there but I feel there might be some additional Security on android 6+. Maybe needs another exploit.
Thanks, though I'm not hopeful, I'll do some digging.
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #36
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameO View Post
Regarding cleanness, I found the latest version of Kingroot hard to remove using Super-Sume Pro. So I downloaded an older version of Kingroot for Windows from the wayback machine.

and used the script from this xda-developers thread, to completely remove Kingroot.
Was source code for Kingroot ever available?
Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
nameO
nameO began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Was source code for Kingroot ever available?
I don't think so. After all, they are distributing adware packaged as a rooting tool.
nameO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #38
sogaiu
Addict

Thanks for the info -- that makes it the type of thing I'm not likely to want to try, especially for this sort of thing
Old 11-30-2018, 02:58 AM   #39
elementarythree
Enthusiast
elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'elementarythree can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

When I used it to try it out, it was all over the place and really made sure it won't get removed using all kinds of tricks. It also installed a bunch of stuff on the Windows system I used it on. (was a VM, just so I just wiped it afterwards) Since Kingroot has access to everything, there's really no telling in which executables/scripts it maybe hooked itself in.

I guess one way to make sure is to copy the entire system before rooting it with Kingroot and then after Kingroot removal copying it back, overwriting everything and looking up checksums to make sure stuff actually really got replaced again but even that could be tricked by Kingroot. There's just no way to tell. I ended up going into recovery, wiping everything and reinstalling the firmware.

I don't really trust recent versions of SuperSU either, according to my research the guy who did SuperSU sold it off to some chinese company too.
elementarythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #40
eater
Enthusiast
eater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it is

Device: linux desktop
I've used this successfully (on a different device) as an open-source alternative to SuperSU: https://github.com/seSuperuser/Superuser
eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eater View Post
I've used this successfully (on a different device) as an open-source alternative to SuperSU: https://github.com/seSuperuser/Superuser
Open source - assessable - rooting tool? What the scene direly needed.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #42
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eater View Post
Looks nice!

It appears to be a fork of a fork of:

https://github.com/koush/Superuser

At least building the su binary seemed to work by following the instructions (except for modifying the clone repository URL) in the README.md file. Had to downgrade the NDK to 10e to avoid errors.

Last edited by sogaiu; 12-01-2018 at 10:12 PM.